Dr Yukie Tanino is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Engineering at University of Aberdeen. Prior to joining the University in 2012, she was a postdoctoral research associate in the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London (2009-2012) and in Laboratoire Fluides, Automatique et Systèmes Thermiques in France (2008-2009). Dr Tanino holds a B.S. (Environmental Engineering Science), M.S. (Civil and Environmental Engineering), and PhD (Environmental Fluid Mechanics) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Dr Tanino’s research interests are in the fluid dynamics of, and mass transport in, obstructed flows such as those found in geological reservoirs, flood plains, and subsea wells. At Aberdeen Dr Tanino leads the Subsurface Flow and Transport Laboratory located in the School of Engineering, and currently supervises/co-supervises 5 postgraduate research students with colleagues in the School of Engineering, the School of Biological Sciences, and the Department of Chemistry. She also teaches fluid mechanics (porous media flow) to 3rd year undergraduate students, environmental engineering to 4th year students, enhanced oil recovery to students on the MSc and MEng programmes in Petroleum Engineering.
- PhD environmental fluid mechanics2008 - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- SM Civil and Environmental Engineering2004 - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- BS Environmental Engineering Science2003 - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Memberships and Affiliations
- Internal Memberships
- School of Engineering representative, University Research Facilities Working Group. 1 Sept. 2022 - .
- Member, School of Engineering Research Committee. Nov. 2022 - .
Chair, School of Engineering Health & Safety Committee. Nov. 2016 -
Chair, School of Engineering Committee of Lab Coordinators. Nov. 2016 -
Manager, Subsurface Flow and Transport Laboratory (FN036). Jan. 2015 -
Manager, Materials Teaching and Petroleum Engineering Laboratory (FN012). Sept. 2012 - Mar. 2015.
Deputy Coordinator, School of Engineering Postgraduate Research (PGR) students. Sept. 2014 - June 2018.
Member, School of Engineering PGR Committee. July 2016 - June 2018.
Deputy Programme Leader, MSc Renewable Energy (Engineering). Oct. 2012 - Nov. 2016.
Member, Postgraduate Special Circumstances Committee. Oct. 2013 - Sept. 2014.
- Elected Member of the Senatus Academicus. 1 Oct. 2018 - 30 Sept. 2022.
Member, University Working Group on PGR Academic Admissions Process. June - Sept. 2017.
Member, School of Engineering Working Group on Academic Workload Model. Oct. 2013 - .
- External Memberships
- Associate Editor, Water Resources Research. 6 Sept. 2022 - 31 Dec. 2025.
- Topic Editor, Enabling Energy Transition: CO2 Geological Storage and Large-Scale Hydrogen Underground Storage, Frontiers in Energy Research July 2021 - 22 Aug. 2022.
- PhD, University of New South Wales 2023
- PhD, Imperial College London 2023
- PhD, Robert Gordon University 2021
- PhD, University of Bergen 2020
- PhD, Curtin University 2020
- PhD, School of Engineering & Physical Sciences, Heriot-Watt University 2019
- Reviewer for UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, US National Science Foundation, Israel Science Foundation.
- Reviewer for Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Physics of Fluids, Water Resources Research, Advances in Water Resources, Environmental Fluid Mechanics, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Journal of Hydraulic Research, Aquatic Sciences, Journal of Geophysical Research, Geophysical Research Letters, Geofluids, Journal of Soils and Sediments, Energy & Fuels, Fuel, Transport in Porous Media, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Lab-on-a-Chip, Journal of Petroleum Science & Engineering.
- Reviewer for 6th International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software.
- Lifetime Member, Society of Core Analysts.
- Chapter Affiliate, Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA).
- Tau Beta Pi Scholar, 2002 - 03. US national engineering honor society.
- Local Organising Committee, 10th International Symposium on Environmental Hydraulics, July 2024
- Session chair, 31st Scottish Fluid Mechanics Meeting 2018.
- Organizing committee, Scottish Fluid Mechanics Meeting 2013, 2018.
- Multi-phase flow in porous media.
- Buoyancy-driven flows.
- Instability and turbulence in stratified shear flows under confinement.
- Turbulence and mass transport in random cylinder arrays.
- Techniques used include:
- ADV, LDV, PIV
- LIF, PLIF
- X-ray microtomography
- scanning electron microscopy
- neutron and X-ray imaging
- pore-network simulation
- Darcy-scale simulation (history matching)
I am currently accepting PhDs in Engineering.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your research ideas further.
IMPACT OF GRAIN ROUGHNESS ON POROUS MEDIA FLOW
- Impact of grain roughness on liquid permeability in packed columns of glass spheres. Student: Kazeem Odunlami [with Dubravka Pokrajac and Prashant Jadhawar]
- Impact of grain roughness on the pore scale distribution of immiscible fluids in porous media. Student: Anelechi Ibekwe [PhD, Mar. 2020, with Dubravka Pokrajac].
- Impact of grain roughness and unfavorable viscosity ratios on waterflood oil recovery: a microfluidic study. Student: Olalekan Ajayi [MSc by Research, Feb. 2020].
FATE AND TRANSPORT OF MICROORGANISMS AND MICROPLASTICS
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions experienced researcher: Nasrollah Sepehrnia [with Paul Hallett, Cecile Gubry-Rangin]
- Complex DNA-based tracers to investigate the transport of microbes in soil. RA: Xanat Zacarias Hernandez; Angus Meng [with Nasrollah Sepehrnia (PI), Paul Hallett, Cecile Gubry-Rangin].
- On the factors that determine plastic transport in rivers. RA: Tamunoipriala Longjohn [with Daniel Valero Huerta, Mark Stewart]
POROUS MEDIA FLOW UNDER MIXED-WET CONDITIONS
- Impact of wettability on two-phase flow in oil/water/carbonate rock systems. Student: Magali Christensen [PhD, Oct. 2018].
- Thermally-driven inversions in reservoir wettability and its impact on oil recovery. Student: Mohammad Sarlak [with Alan McCue].
FRACTURED GEOLOGICAL MEDIA
- Flow properties of temporary plugging layers. Visiting researcher: Feng Zhao [with Amer Syed, Dubravka Pokrajac]
- Combining multiscale digital rock technology with AI to identify potential hydrocarbon recovery. Student: Ciprian-Teodor Panaitescu [with Kejian Wu, Andy Starkey]
- A pore-scale investigation of spontaneous imbibition under mixed-wet conditions. Student: Xanat Zacarias Hernandez .
- Characterisation of propagation of fractures in rocks using X-ray and neutron imaging. Student: Girvani Manoharan [PhD, Aug. 2020, with Amer Syed and Andy Welch].
- Paul Hallett, School of Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen (UoA)
- Cecile Gubry-Rangin, School of Biological Sciences, UoA
- Nasrollah Sepehrnia, School of Biological Sciences, UoA
- Kejian Wu, School of Engineering, UoA
- Andy Starkey, School of Engineering, UoA
- Dubravka Pokrajac, School of Engineering, UoA
- Feng Zhao, Southwest Petroleum University (China)
- Jacob LaManna, NIST (US)
- David L Jacobson, NIST (US)
- Daniel S Hussey, NIST (US)
- Amer Syed, School of Engineering, UoA
- Andy Welch, School of Medicine & Dentistry, UoA
- Jean-Pierre Hulin, Laboratoire FAST (France)
- Frederic Moisy, Laboratoire FAST (France)
- Martin J Blunt, Imperial College London
- Heidi M Nepf, MIT (US)
Funding and Grants
Our research is supported by:
- Aubin Group (Oct - Dec 2022 £10383)
- University of Aberdeen EU Brexit Mitigation Fund "On the factors that determine plastic transport in rivers" (co-I with M Stewart; 2022, £3263)
- BBSRC Mitigation Fund "Complex DNA-based tracers to investigate the transport of microbes in soil" (with Nasrollah Sepehrnia (PI), Paul Hallett, Cecile Gubry-Rangin; 2022, £49.8k)
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowship for Nasrollah Sepehrnia "TRAMPAS" (with P Hallett, C Gubry-Rangin; 2021-2023, €225k)
- China National Offshore Oil Corporation (with Kejian Wu (PI), Andy Starkey)
- Royal Society International Exchanges Cost Share 2018 China (with Amer Syed (PI); Mar 2019 - Mar 2021, £11066)
- UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Overseas Travel Grant (2016 - Feb. 2018, £20.6k)
- UK Natural Environment Research Council IODP Phase 2 (with Stephen Bowden (PI); Dec. 2016 - Sept. 2017, £35.4k)
- COREX (UK) Ltd. (2015-2020, £41.4k)
- Royal Society Research Grant (2014-2015, £15k)
- The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland Research Grant (2014-2015, £2.5k)
- University of Aberdeen Chevron Fund (2014)
- University of Aberdeen Principal's Interdisciplinary Fund (2014)
- University of Aberdeen Principal's Excellence Fund (2014)
- Development Trust (2012, £125k)
- Petroleum Technology Development Fund PhD studentship (K Odunlami 2019 - 2022)
- Mexican National Council for Science and Technology PhD studentship (X. Zacarias Hernandez 2016-2019, £64.1k)
- Energy Technology Partnership Postgraduate and Early Career Researchers Exchanges (PECRE) grant
- G. Manoharan 2018 £3k “Insights into mechanics of brittle fracture in rocks under triaxial conditions using combined neutron and X-ray imaging”
- Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA) Foundation grant
- K. Odunlami US$3k (2021-22)
- O. Olofinnika US$3k (2020-21)
- X. Zacarias Hernandez US$2.5k (2017-18), US$2k (2018-19)
- G. Manoharan US$3.5k (2017-18)
- O. Ajayi, 2016 US$1.5k
- A. Ibekwe, 2016 US$2.5k
- M. Walter, 2016
- M. Christensen, 2014 US$2k
- B. Akamairo, 2013
- Aberdeen Formation Evaluation Society (AFES) bursary/grant
- M. Sarlak 2021 (£1k)
- K. Odunlami 2020 (£1k)
- X. Zacarias Hernandez 2018 (£1k), 2019 (£1k), 2020 (£1k)
- O. Ajayi 2018 £1k
- G. Manoharan 2017 (£500), 2018 (£1k), 2019 (£1k)
- A. Ibekwe 2017 £500
- M. Christensen 2013 (£2k), 2014 (£2k), 2015 (£1.5k)
- B. Akamairo, 2015
- University of Aberdeen PhD studentship
- M. K. Habeeb Mohamed 2016-2019
- O. Ajayi 2015-2018
- College of Physical Sciences PhD studentship (M. Christensen 2013-2016)
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (EG552C/2G/Q1, EG502E/2N/1Y/1M) for MSc in Petroleum Engineering and MSc Oil & Gas Innovation
- Co-lecturer, Flow Assurance (EG55F8/G8, 2013-2016) for MSc in Subsea Engineering and Oil & Gas Engineering
- Guest lecturer, Subsea Production Systems (EG50F9/G9, 2015) for MSc in Subsea Engineering
- Guest lecturer, Chemistry at Interfaces and Enhanced Oil Recovery (CM5037, 2014) for MSc in Oil & Gas Chemistry
- Coordinator, MSc Individual Projects in Renewable Energy (Engineering) (EG5909, - Nov. 2016)
- Thesis supervisor, MSc in Oil & Gas Engineering (EG5908) and Petroleum Engineering (EG5911)
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (EG50HI, EG55HI)
- Co-lecturer, Environmental Engineering (EA4527, spring 2019 -)
- Co-lecturer, Fluid Mechanics (EG3018, EM3018, EM3019)
- Co-lecturer, Geotechnics 2 (EG40JE, EA40JE, fall 2013 - Dec 2017)
- Thesis supervisor, BEng/MEng in Civil, Chemical, and Petroleum Engineering (EG4013/4014)
Page 1 of 5 Results 1 to 10 of 49
Immiscible fluidsEncyclopedia of Soils in the Environment. Gross, M. J., Oliver, M. A. (eds.). 2nd edition. Elsevier, pp. 239-247Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Chapters (Peer-Reviewed)
A portable triaxial cell for beamline imaging of rocks under triaxial state of stressMeasurement Science and Technology, vol. 32, 095403Contributions to Journals: Articles
Impact of grain roughness on residual nonwetting phase cluster size distribution in packed columns of uniform spheresPhysical Review. E, Statistical, Nonlinear and Soft Matter Physics, vol. 102, no. 1, 013109Contributions to Journals: Articles
Automated extraction of in situ contact angles from micro-computed tomography images of porous mediaComputers & Geosciences, vol. 137, 104425Contributions to Journals: Articles
A low-cost, non-hazardous protocol for surface texturing of glass particlesTribology Letters, vol. 67, no. 4, 115Contributions to Journals: Articles
Enhanced Oil Recovery by Polymer Flooding: Direct, Low-Cost Visualization in a Hele-Shaw CellEducation Sciences, vol. 9, no. 3, 186Contributions to Journals: Articles
Imbibition Capillary Pressure and Relative Permeability of Mixed-Wet Microporous Rock: New Insights from History MatchingTransport in Porous Media, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 121–148Contributions to Journals: Articles
Laboratory measurements of viscosity, density, and bulk contact angle on marble and soda lime glass for three naphthenic acid + n-decane solutionsData in brief, vol. 24, 103988Contributions to Journals: Articles
Impact of injection rate on transient oil recovery under mixed-wet conditions: a microfluidic studyContributions to Conferences: Papers
New insights into fracture mechanics of sedimentary rocks using neutron tomography and mechanical tests11th World Conference on Neutron RadiographyContributions to Conferences: Posters