Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
Yazan Masannat is a Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon working in Aberdeen, Scotland/UK and a Lecturer at the University of Aberdeen and the University of East Anglia in England. After completing his basic surgical training in Wales and obtaining the membership exams of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland he Moved to England. He obtained a doctorate from the University of Leeds and then moved to the South East Thames Sector of the London Deanery where he completed his Higher Surgical training. He trained in some of the best units in the world including Guy’s Hospitalin London and obtained the highly competitive and prestigious National Oncoplastic Fellowship at Mid-Essex Hospitals(St Andrews Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery) followed by a further fellowship in the world-renowned Royal Marsden Hospital in London. His main clinical interest is breast conservation through level one and level two oncoplastic techniques and Breast Reconstruction.
Currently he is actively involved in research exploring new MRI and imaging technologies in breast cancer, and also looking at the biology of the rarer types of breast pathology with the research teams at the University of Aberdeen.
Teaching is an important part of Yazan’s practice. Locally he teaches at the University of Aberdeenand nationally he is a Tutor on the Master of Surgery in Oncoplastic Breast Surgery Program by the University of East Anglia in Norwich, England. He also designed a teaching website www.oncoplasticsurgeons.comon breast surgery in collaboration with colleagues from the UK, Europe, The States and India. Some of the best-known names in breast and plastic surgery are taking part in this project.
He is also a member of the communications team and a co-opted member of the education and training committee with the Association of Breast Surgery (ABS) in the UK and also a member of the education and training committee with the European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO) and an examiner at the European Board in Breast Surgery and the European Board in Surgical Oncology.
MRI Scan in Breast Cancer
Co-Lead of the Medical Law and Ethics Course
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 29
- Sidapra, M, Fuller, M & Masannat, YA 2020, 'Diagnosis and management of chyle leak following axillary dissection', Surgeon. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surge.2019.12.001
- Reddington, R, Galer, M, Hagedorn, A, Liu, P, Barrack, S, Husain, E, Sharma, R, Speirs, V & Masannat, Y 2020, 'Incidence of male breast cancer in Scotland over a twenty-five-year period (1992 - 2017)', European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1546-1550. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2020.01.009
- Cheung, SM, Husain, E, Masannat, Y, Miller, I, Wahle, K, Heys, S & He, J 2020, 'Lactate concentration in breast cancer using advanced magnetic resonance spectroscopy', British Journal of Cancer, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 261-267. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41416-020-0886-7
- Masannat, YA, Agrawal, A, Maraqa, L, Fuller, M, Down, SK, Tang, S, Pang, D, Kontos, M, Romics, L & Heys, SD 2020, 'Multifocal and multicentric breast cancer, is it time to think again?', Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 62-66. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1308/rcsann.2019.0109
- Mallikourti, V, Cheung, SM, Gagliardi, T, Masannat, Y, Heys, SD & He, J 2019, 'Optimal Phased-Array Signal Combination For Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Measurement In Breast Cancer Using Multiple Quantum Coherence MR Spectroscopy At 3T', Scientific Reports, vol. 9, 9529. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-45710-1
- iBRA-2 Steering Group & Breast Reconstruction Research Collaborative 2019, 'The impact of immediate breast reconstruction on the time to delivery of adjuvant therapy: the iBRA-2 study', British Journal of Cancer, vol. 120, pp. 883-895. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41416-019-0438-1
- Senn, N, Masannat, Y, Husain, E, Siow, B, Heys, SD & He, J 2019, 'q-Space Imaging Yields a Higher Effect Gradient to Assess Cellularity than Conventional Diffusion-weighted Imaging Methods at 3.0 T: A Pilot Study with Freshly Excised Whole-Breast Tumors', Radiology: Imaging Cancer, vol. 1, no. 1, e190008. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1148/rycan.2019190008
- Romics, L, Macaskill, EJ, Fernandez, T, Simpson, L, Morrow, E, Pitsinis, V, Tovey, S, Barber, M, Masannat, Y, Stallard, S, Weiler-Mithoff, E, Malyon, A, Mansell, J, Campbell, EJ, Doughty, J & Dixon, JM 2018, 'A population-based audit of surgical practice and outcomes of oncoplastic breast conservations in Scotland - An analysis of 589 patients', European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 939-944. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2018.04.004
- TeaM Steering Group 2018, 'Current practice and short-term outcomes of therapeutic mammaplasty in the international TeaM multicentre prospective cohort study', British Journal of Surgery, vol. 105, no. 13, pp. 1778-1792. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.10959
- Masannat, YA, Husain, E, Roylance, R, Heys, SD, Carder, PJ, Ali, H, Maurice, Y, Pinder, SE, Sawyer, E & Shaaban, AM 2018, 'Pleomorphic LCIS what do we know? A UK multicenter audit of pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ', Breast, vol. 38, pp. 120-124. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2017.12.011