- Reader, School of Engineering, University of Aberdeen : August 2021 - Present
- Senior Lecturer, School of Engineering, University of Aberdeen : June 2016 - July 2021
- Lecturer, School of Engineering, University of Aberdeen : June 2009 - May 2016
- Research Fellow, School of Engineering, University of Aberdeen, (RED Project) : June 2008 - June 2009
- Research Academic B, ARC Center for Complex Dynamic Systems and Control, University of Newcastle, Australia : September 2005 - May 2008
- Research Engineer, RDSI Pvt. Ltd., Pune, India : May 1999 - June 2000
I am a registered Chartered Engineer with the IET. I also volunteer as a Professional Registration Advisor (PRA) and as a Professional Registration Interviewer (PRI) for prospective IEng and CEng applicants for the IET.
My non-academic interests are trekking, nature and wildlife photography, travelling and martial arts.
- BEng Electrical Engineering1999 - University of Pune, IndiaFirst Class with Distinction (Top 5 in the University Graduating Class)
- MS Electrical Engineering (Robotics and Control)2003 - University of Wyoming, USAOn resolving motion commands for precise pointing using position and velocity limits of stacked Gough-Stewart Platforms
- PhD Electrical Engineering (Robotics and Control)2005 - University of Wyoming, USAOn the robust fault-tolerant designs of Gough-Stewart Platforms
Memberships and Affiliations
- Internal Memberships
- Examination Officer for all Post-Graduate Taught MSc Programmes in Engineering
- Program Leader for Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree programs
- Programme Coordinator - MSc Industrial Robotics
- Personal Tutor for ~20 Engineering undergraduate students at various levels
- External Memberships
- IEEE CSS Conference Editorial Board
- Shock and Vibration
- International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems (Guest - Special Issue on Parallel Manipulators)
- Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics)
- Actuators (Guest - Special Issue on Actuators and Dampers for Vibration Control)
- Applications of Modelling and Simulation
- IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control, Sydney, Australia (2015)
Editorial Board Member
- International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems (2012 - 2015)
Technical / Programme Committee Member
- 4th International Conference on Robotics and Automation Sciences (ICRAS 2020), held in Chengdu, China during 14-16 June 2020.
- International Conference on Robotics, Computer Vision and Intelligent Systems, held in Budapest, Hungary during 04 - 06 November 2020.
- UKRI Leadership Fellowships
- IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology
- IEEE Transactions on Robotics
- IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology
- IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics
- IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics
- IET Control Theory and Applications
- IOP Smart Materials and Structures
- Asian Journal of Control
- Review of Scientific Instruments (AIP)
- Control Engineering Practice
- Journal of Sound and Vibration.
- Sensors and Actuators (Elsevier)
- Sensors (MDPI)
- Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science
- IEEE Conference on Decision and Control
- IFAC World Congress
- IEEE International Conference for Robotics and Automation
- IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering
- IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics
- American Control Conference
- European Control Conference
- International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems
- Springer Publishing Co.
- Cambridge University Press
- University of Castilla - La Mancha, Spain
- Polytechnic University of Madrid, Spain
- University of Adelaide, Australia
- ADFA@UNSW, Australia
- Indian Institute of Technology - Chennai, India
- Vellore Institute of Technology - Chennai, India
My expertize lie in the broad fields of Robotics, Mechatronics and Applied Control. I enjoy formulating, testing, quantifying and optimizing new system designs, sensing schemes and control algorithms that deliver significant performance improvement in a wide range of technology-enabling systems such as parallel manipulators, flexible and soft robots, scanning probe microscopes, nanopositioning devices, biomedical systems, smart structures, precise multi-system alignment, drill-strings and optical focusing equipment, to name a few. I focus on developing simple, practical and implementable solutions for seemingly complex problems. I am always interested in pursuing industrial and academic collaborations that will inform, facilitate and progress my work. I am a Chartered Engineer and have held several consultancies with hi-tech as well as Oil and Gas related companies to facilitate technology development and transfer.
View my Google Scholar profile.
I am currently accepting PhDs in Engineering.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your research ideas further.
My current research / consultancy projects focus on:
- Control of precision mechatronic systems
- Active Vibration Isolation and Control (AVI and AVC)
- Dynamics and Control of highly nonlinear systems
- Soft Robots - Dielectric Elastomer Actuators and 3D-printed pneumatics
- Self-balancing Robots
- Control applications in Electrical Power Engineering
- Control of Smart Materials and Structures
- Sensing, Instrumentation, Control and Automation for O&G and wider industry
I am always interested in probing new ideas. It is quite possible that I may not know of your work but, if you think a collaboration is possible, please drop me an email.
External Examiner At
- Robert Gordon University, UK
- University of Adelaide, Australia
- University of New South Wales, Australia
- University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- Polytechnic University of Madrid, Spain
- Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, India
- Dr Geng Wang (Henan Polytechnic University, China): January 2020 - January 2021
- Ms Linlin Li (Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China): 1st May - 31st October 2019
- Mr Paul Antoine (ENSTA Paris Tech, France) : June - July 2017
- Dr Andres San-Millan (University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain) : 1st May - 30th July 2016
- Dr Andres San-Millan (University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain) : 1st May - 30th July 2014
- Prof. Paul Reynolds (University of Exeter, UK) : May 2012
- Prof. Andrew J. Fleming (University of Newcastle, Australia) : July 2011
- Dr Emiliano Pereira Gonzales (University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain) : May - June 2010
- Control of Gough-Stewart Platforms (Hexapods)
- Robust Kinematic Design of fault-tolerant Gough-Stewart Platforms (Octopods)
- Energy Harvesting via smart materials
- Prof. Paul Reynolds, Vibration Engineering Section, Exeter University, UK.
- Prof. Vicente Feliu Batlle, University of Castilla-La Mancha, Spain.
- Prof. Andrew J. Fleming, Precision Mechatronics Lab, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- Prof. Guoying Gu, Robotics Institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China.
- Prof. Limin Zhu, State Key Laboratory for Mechanical Systems and Vibration, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China.
- Dr. Emiliano Pereira Gonzalez, University of Alcala, Spain.
- Assoc. Prof. Bharath Bhikkaji, Indian Institute of Technology - Chennai, India.
- Prof. Abdus Samad, Indian Institute of Technology - Chennai, India.
- Prof. Antoine Ferreira, LVR ENSI de Bourges, France.
- Prof. Santosh Devasia, University of Washington, Seattle, USA.
- Prof. Kam K. Leang, University of Utah - Salt Lake City, USA.
Lead Supervisor for:
- Shakiru Kassim : Ph.D. student (Expected Graduation: September 2024)
- James D. Maclean : Ph.D. student (Expected Graduation: September 2022)
- Adedayo Babarinde : Ph.D. student (Expected Graduation: March 2022)
- Adamu Adamu : Ph.D. student (Expected Graduation: January 2023)
- Mohsen Lalehparvar : PhD. student (Expected Graduation : January 2024)
- Stefan Kovacevic (with Prof. D. Jovcic) - Ph.D. 2021
- Suoda Chu (with Dr. K. Nakkeeran) - Ph.D. 2020.
- Ibukunolu Oladunjoye - Ph.D. 2019.
- Mohammed Altaher - Ph.D. 2019.
- Douglas Russell - Ph.D. 2018.
- Mohammad Namavar - Ph.D. 2015
Funding and Grants
- ETP Project with Frisco eBikes (with Drs Syed and Jamshidi Far): Contactless eBike charging port (£9825) 2021.
- Pump-Prime Interdisciplinary Research and Impact Award (with Drs Broche and Jamshidi Far): Fast Field Cycling prototype improvements (£9770) 2021.
- Pump-Prime Interdisciplinary Research and Impact Award (ARMS Group and Prof. Bach): Human-Robot Interaction Network (£10000) 2021.
- Interface (with Glenn Buchan Engg, Drs Syed and Vairi) - (£5000) 2021.
- Interface (with Don Energy and Dr Vaziri) - (£5000) 2021.
- Knowledge Exchange and Commercialisation (KEC) Award (with Desire Hygine and Dr. Giannaccini): (£7015) 2021.
- Consultancy (with Dr. Vaziri) - Baker Hughes UK - (£4574) 2021.
- Interface (with Desire Hygine and Dr. Giannaccini) - (£5000) 2020.
- Interface (with AFB Racing and Dr. Thevar) - (£5000) 2020.
- Consultancy (with Dr. K. Nakkeeran) - Swire Oilfield Services - (£11904) - 2020.
- Consultancy (with Dr A. Jamshidi Far) - BP PLC (UK) - (£42360) 2019 - 2020.
- NSFC (P.R. China) Grant No: 51975375 (Jan 2020 - Dec 2023) - Control of ultrafast AFM nanopositioners using delayed feedback and general internal model principle, Co-investigator, with Principal Investigator Prof. L M Zhu - (RMB 600K).
- DUO-India Research Fellowship (with Assoc. Prof. Abdus Samad, IIT-M) - (€6000) - 2020.
- Interface (with Aashraya Ltd and Dr Maheri) - (£5000) 2019.
- Interface (with TWEFDA Ltd and Dr Jamshidi Far) - (£5000) 2019.
- Interface (with SteerSafe) - (£5000) 2018.
- Consultancy - Proserv (UK). (£7080) 2018.
- Visiting Research Fellowship (Binks Trust Fund) : The State Key Laboratory of Mechanical Systems and Vibrations, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China. (£4135) 2018.
- Consultancy - Proserv (UK). (£4324) 2018.
- Reseau de Transport d’electricite (RTE, France): LCC and MCC HVDC Dynamic Interactions in Subsynchronous domain, (1 January 2017 - 30 June 2020). Co-investigator, with Principal Investigator Prof. Dragan Jovcic. (£114K).
- Consultancy (with Dr T. Thevar) - McGregor Tech (UK) Ltd. (£17000) 2016.
- Spanish Ministry of Education Pre-doctoral Mobility Grant for Mr Andres San-Millan (€3000) 2016.
- Scoping Project - Aker Subsea Ltd. (£9500) 2015.
- Spanish Ministry of Economics and Competitiveness: Development of novel damping systems for pedestrian structures. (2014 - 2016) Co-investigator, with Principal Investigator Iván Muñoz Díaz and co-investigators Francisco Martínez Cutillas, Juan Carlos Mosquera Feijóo, Rafael Fernández Díaz-Munío, Emiliano Pereira González, Jesús de Sebastián Sanz, Paul Reynolds, Carlos Zanuy Sanchez, José Rodellar Benede, Pablo de la Fuente Martín (€54450)
- Principal's Excellence Fund (£500) 2014
- Spanish Ministry of Education Pre-doctoral Mobility Grant for Mr Andres San-Millan (€3000) 2014.
- ITI Energy: Resonance Enhanced Drilling - Phase 1, (Oct 2009 - Sept 2011). Co-investigator, with Principal Investigator Prof. M. Wiercigroch and co-investigators Dr E. Pavlovskaia and Dr D Hendry. (£1.01M).
- NESTech Grant: Development of an apparatus and method for neuromuscular stimulation, (2009 - 2011). Co-investigator, with Dr. Richard Neilson and Dr. Marco Cardinale. (£144K).
- Spanish Ministry of Education Post-Doctoral Fellowship for Dr Emiliano Pereira Gonzales (€43500) 2009-2011.
- University of Newcastle, Australia: Travel Grant for SPIE Smart Structures / NDE 2007: 1700$.
- University of Newcastle, Australia: ECR Encouragement Award 2007: 1000$
- EE3053 - 3rd year Signals, Systems and Signal Processing (Coordinator and Sole Contributor)
- EE501T - 5th year Advanced Control Engineering (Coordinator and Sole Contributor)
- MEng / BEng in EEE / Mech+Elec
- MSc in Subsea / Renewable Energy / Industrial Robotics
Non-course Teaching Responsibilities
- Programme Leader for all Undergraduate Electrical and Electronic Engineering Degree Programmes at the University of Aberdeen
- Programme Leader for the MSc in Industrial Robotics to be offered from September 2021 at the University of Aberdeen
Page 1 of 9 Results 1 to 10 of 89
Sliding-Mode Control of a Dielectric Elastomer Actuator Featuring Non-Invertible DynamicsContributions to Conferences: Papers
Control Method to Suppress Stick-Slip in Drill-Strings Featuring Actuation Delay and ConstraintsContributions to Conferences: Papers
Redistributing Controller Orders to Increase Positioning Bandwidth in NanopositionersContributions to Conferences: Papers
Feedback Control Method to Suppress Stick-slip in Drill-strings Featuring Delay and Actuation ConstraintsThe European Physical Journal. Special TopicsContributions to Journals: Articles
Energy saving by reducing motor rating of Sucker-Rod Pump systems EnergyEnergy, vol. 228, 120618Contributions to Journals: Articles
Eliminating stick-slip vibrations in drill-strings with a dual-loop control strategy optimized by the CRO-SL algorithmMathematics, vol. 9, no. 13, 1526Contributions to Journals: Articles
High-bandwidth nanopositioning via active control of system resonanceFrontiers of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 16, pp. 331-339Contributions to Journals: Articles
Switching Control in Two-Wheeled Self-Balancing RobotsProceedings of the 2021 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA).Chapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Conference Proceedings
A smoothed raster scanning trajectory based on acceleration-continuous B-spline transition for high-speed Atomic Force MicroscopyIEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 24-32Contributions to Journals: Articles
A Surface Plasmon Resonance Bio-Sensor based on Dual Core D-Shaped Photonic Crystal Fibre Embedded with Silver Nanowires for Multi-SensingIEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 76-84Contributions to Journals: Articles