I have worked in higher education, community education, and the voluntary and trade union sectors. In higher education I have been a law lecturer, worked in the University of Aberdeen’s former Centre for Lifelong Learning and I am currently a Senior Lecturer in Education.
In the late 1990s I led the Trade Union Congress partnership project Bargaining for Skills in the East and West Midlands regions in England, working with trade unions, employers, colleges and Training and Enterprise Councils. I have also been an adult education tutor and worked for the National Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux (NACAB) and Aberdeen CAB.
Professional learning and mentoring.
Children and young people's rights.
Measuring the Quality of Initial Teacher Education (MQuITE) in Scotland
University students mentoring school students
Young people and participation in decision-making
ED302F Professional Learning and Inquiry (BA Professional Development)
ED302E Hazard and Risk in Professional Contexts (BA Professional Development)
ED4030 Broadening Professional Boundaries (BA Professional Development)
ED1521 Learning from Work (university wide module)
Current PhD Students
- Maryam Alnoaimi - The Role of Bahraini Educational leaders in Developing Educational Values of Citizenship and Promoting Educational Change in the Kingdom of Bahrain with Dr David Smith
- Elise Boyle Espinosa - Education in the Islamic State, as part of the Politico project, with Prof Pamela Abbott and Dr Hanifi Baris
- David Di Domenico - Analysis of the experiences, approaches and reflective accounts of academics in relation to cultural diversity in the delivery of undergraduate pre-registration nursing education at a Scottish university with Dr Graeme Nixon
- Tracy Edwards - The Translation and Enactment of the Principle of Inclusive Pedagogy by Experienced Teachers with Dr Kirsten Darling McQuistan and Dr Mhairi Beaton
- Chris Gray - Community Music with Sarah Cornelius
- Annette Moir - Exploration of children’s awareness of their coping strategies and enhancement of their resilience skills with Dr David Johnston
- Esther Nyaga - School leadership and teacher professionalism: an exploration of head teacher leadership practice in public primary schools in Kenya with Prof Emerita Karen McArdle
2019 Ramona Statchde - Business Social Media Use by Remote Rural Micro Tourism Enterprises in the Scottish Highlands
2019 Madhawi Alharbi - Using Mobile Games in Teaching English as a Foreign Language Vocabulary at a Saudi Female High School
2019 Khanchai Wongchana - Thai University Student and Teacher Perceptions of Studying Tourism through English Using a CLIL Approach
2017 David Johnston - A Socio-Cultural Perspective on 'Belonging'
2017 Geraldine Prince - Art-Making and the Interpretation of Cultures: Cross-cultural teaching and learning in Edinburgh and Dubai
- Further Info
- Education Pathway Convenor for Scottish Graduate School of Social Science (Scotland's ESRC DTP) 2018-
- External Examiner University of Warwick, Initial Teacher Training (Further Education) 2018-
- Co-convenor Network 6 Open Learning: Media, Environments and Cultures European Educational Research Association 2017-
- Trustee of the Scottish Educational Research Association 2015-
- Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Rocking Horse Nursery 2019-
- Community Learning and Development Standards Council Approvals Panel 2015-
- Programme Director of BA in Professional Development 2015-
- Senator representing School of Education academic staff 2016-2020
Journal Board and Reviewer Information
Editor-in-Chief of Education in the North
Reviewer for: Africa Education Review, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Cambridge Journal of Education, The Curriculum Journal, Education 3-13, Education + Training, European Journal of Teacher Education, International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching in Education, International Journal of Training and Development, Multicultural Perspectives, NordSTEP (the Nordic Journal of Studies in Educational Policy), Professional Development in Education, Scottish Educational Review, Studies in Higher Education
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 28
- Shanks, R 2019, 'Alfabetização Micropolítica e Formação Profissional de Professores Iniciantes', Currículo sem Fronteiras, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 134-150.
- Daly, R & Shanks, R 2019, 'Universal to targeted Community Learning and Development: changed work and a changing profession', Concept, vol. 10, no. 2.
- Shanks, R, Scharlau, B, Saevanee, H & Stelfox, K 2018, Human and Technological Resources Needed to Develop and Sustain A City-Wide Educational Data Observatory. in BH Khan, JR Corbeil & ME Corbeil (eds), Responsible Analytics and Data Mining in Education: Global Perspectives on Quality, Support, and Decision-Making., 10, Routledge, New York.
- Fransson, G, Gallant, A & Shanks, R 2018, 'Human elements and the pragmatic approach in the Australian, Scottish and Swedish standards for newly qualified teachers', Journal of Educational Change, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 243-267. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10833-018-9321-8
- Shanks, R & Peter, S 2018, Issues and impact of the Named Person Legislation in Scotland. in K Trimmer, R Dixon & YS Findlay (eds), The Palgrave Handbook of Education Law for Schools., 23, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 487-505. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77751-1_23
- Bastos, G, Bauer, P, Cardoso, T, Cornelius, SC, Mertes, K & Shanks, RK 2018, MINE - Mobile learning in Higher Education. in EDULEARN18 Proceedings. IATED Academy, pp. 3625-3629, EDULearn, Palma, Spain, 2/07/18. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.21125/edulearn.2018.0934
- Shanks, RK & Scharlau, BA 2018, 'Part-Time Study and E-Learning in Europe: Insights from Erasmus+ PT&SCHE Project' Paper presented at The 9th International Conference on eLearning, Belgrade, Serbia, 27/09/18 - 28/09/18, pp. 1-6.
- Weber, A, Brahm, T, Pensel, S, Riplinger, T, Steffens, Y, Cornelius, SC, Gerholz, K-H, Orr, D & Shanks, RK 2018, 'Students' voices in Higher Education research' European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction Special Interest Group on Higher Education, Geissen, Germany, 29/08/18 - 31/08/18, pp. 37.
- Shanks, R 2018, Vital but Neglected: The Informal Learning of New Teachers in Scotland. in G Messmann, M Segers & F Dochy (eds), Informal Learning at Work: Triggers, Antecedents, and Consequences., 6, New Perspectives on Learning and Instruction, Routledge, London.
- Shanks, RK 2017, 'Air & Light & Time & Space: How Successful Academics Write', Education in the North, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 76-77.