Chair in Education
The University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
I am a professor in the School of Education at the University of Aberdeen and Director of the Centre for Global Development. I am also a member of the Centre for Civil Society and the Rule of Law and the New Europe Centre.
My main reseach interests are in gender, quality of life and social quality, and social, economic and political transfromations. I have carried out reseach in the UK, the European Union, the former Soviet Union, East Africa and the Middle East and North Africa. I am author (with Claire Wallace and Melissa Taylor) of the best selling text An Introduction to Sociology: Femminist Perspectives (3rd editon 2005). Routledge. My most recent books are: (with Andrea Teti, Valeria Talbot and Paolo Maggiolini) Democratisation against Democracy: How the EU Fails the Middle East. Palgrave Macmillian, published in January 2020 and; (with Andrea Teti and Francesco Cavatorta) The Arab Uprisings in Egypt, Jordan and Tunisia: Social, Economic and Political Transfromations in the Arab World. Palgrave Macmillian, published in January 2018. I have published more than 50 articles in peer review journals. My work has been published in English, French, Swedish, Polish, Korean and Chinese.
I am currently writting up for publication, with Andrea Teti, the findings from the Arab Transformations Project funded under the EU's Framework Programme 7 (€2.49m, SSH-2012, grant number 320214, 2012-16). I am directing the Fostering a Social Practice Approach to Adult Literacies for Improving People’s Quality of Life in Western Rwanda project funded under the Scottish Government's Scotland Rwanda Programme (£1.2m, 2017-22). With Lucia D'Ambruoso I am working on a project Fostering Support for Child And Family Wellbeing - Learning from International Experience, funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. I am also directing a University of Aberdeen funded project The Social Impact of a Specialist Paediatric Surgical Service in Rwanda : A Qualitative Evaluation of the Effects on Child, Family and Community.
I am Director of the Centre for Global Development and a member of the Centre for Civil Society and the Rule of Law.
My main research interests are in gender and social quality and quality of life and social, economic and political transformations. I have expertise in both qualitative and quantitative social reseach methods. I have carried out reseach in the UK and Europe, the former Soviet Union, East Africa and the Middle East and North Africa.
I am currently working on three research projects: with Dr Andrea Teti (Politics and International Relations) I am writting up the findings from the EU funded Arab Transfromations project looking at social. political and economic change in the Arab World since the 2011 Uprisings; I am reseaching the experiences of parents careing for children who have undergone pediatric surgery in Rwanda and have onging care needs; and with Drs Aileen Ackland and Peter Mkita (Education) I am implementing a project on a social practices to literacies approach in Rwanda.
I am currently the Principal Investigator on the Fostering a social practice approach to adult literacies for improving people’s quality of life in Western Rwanda project funded by the Scottish Government 2017-2022.
I currently teach on the 6th Century Course: Africa: Sustainable Development for All. I also surpervise PhD students.
Page 1 of 12 Results 1 to 10 of 118
- Stubbs, T & Abbott, P 2020, 'Burundi elections: what’s at stake and what to expect', The Conversation. <> [Online] DOI: https://theconversation.com/burundi-elections-whats-at-stake-and-what-to-expect-135874
- Teti, A, Abbott, PA, Talbot, V & Maggiolini, P 2020, Democratisation against Democracy: How EU Foreign Policy Fails the Middle East . The European Union in International Affairs, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Abbott, P & Sapsford, R 2020, Rwanda: Planned Reconstruction for Social Quality. in J Martinez, CA Mikkelsen & R Phillips (eds), Handbook of Quality of Life and Sustainability. 1 edn, International Handbooks of Quality-of-Life, Springer . [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-50540-0_5
- Tsinda, A, Chenowath, J & Abbott, P 2020, 'Strengthening interlinked marketing exchange systems to improve water and sanitation in informal settlements of Kigali, Rwanda', International Journal of Urban Sustainable Development, pp. 1-9. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/19463138.2020.1727909
- Abbott, P, Teti, A & Sapsford, R 2020, 'The tide that failed to rise: Young people’s politics and social values in and after the Arab uprisings', Mediterranean Politics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1-25. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13629395.2018.1482124
- Abbott, P 2019, 'Ben Ali: the Tunisian autocrat who laid the foundations for his demise', The Conversation. <> [Online] DOI: http://theconversation.com/ben-ali-the-tunisian-autocrat-who-laid-the-foundations-for-his-demise-124786
- Teti, A, Abbott, P & Cavatorta, F 2019, 'Beyond elections: perceptions of democracy in four Arab countries ', Democratization, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 645-665. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13510347.2019.1566903
- Sapsford, R, Tsourapas, G, Abbott, PA & Teti, A 2019, 'Corruption, Trust, Inclusion and Cohesion in North Africa and the Middle East', Applied Research in Quality of Life, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1-21. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11482-017-9578-8
- Abbott, P, D'Ambruoso, L & Paxton, W 2019, England case study: Drivers of policy change on child poverty and early childhood education and care. Training and Research Support Centre (TARSC). <> [Online] DOI: https://www.tarsc.org/publications/documents/FCH-England%20case%20study2019.pdf
- Abbott, P, D'Ambruoso, L & Nixon, E 2019, Ireland case study: Promoting integrated delivery of early childhood education and care services. Training and Research Support Centre (TARSC). <> [Online] DOI: https://www.tarsc.org/publications/documents/FCH-Ireland%20case%20study2019.pdf