I joined the French Department at the University of Aberdeen in January 2006.
My research interests focus on contemporary French and Francophone cultures and societies. I am particularly interested in migration, identity, new social movements, new forms of migrant cultural production and citizenship. I would be keen to supervise postgraduate students in any of these areas.
Diaspora as Social and Cultural practice: a Study of Transnational Networks across Europe and Africa
(with Professor Ulrike H. Meinhof, University of Southampton)
Awarded by: AHRC programme 'Diaspora, Migration and Identity'
Duration: 1st November 2006-2010
Summary: This project focused on the ways in which (post-)migrant cultural practitioners, performers, and musicians originating from North-Africa and Madagascar are able to use multiple translocal and transnational networks across African, European and wider global spaces. It suggests that artists who create or enter such networks make use of, but go far beyond the traditional 'bi-focal', ethnically and spatially defined communities that link originating and sending countries, as studied in much Diaspora research. Our research marks a key development in the empirical study of networks, by investigating links between migrant cultural practitioners which develop outside of established cultural/historical ties. http://www.tnmundi.soton.ac.uk
I coordinate undergraduate Level 2 courses FR2009/FR2011 'French Identities: Individual and Nation'; FR2509/FR2511, 'French Identities: Centre and Periphery'; Honours options 'The Politics of Difference in Contemporary France' and 'Paris: Transnational City of Culture'. At postgraduate level, I am involved in teaching on the M.Litt. in Visual Culture and M.Litt. in Comparative Literature.
- Further Info
Member of the AHRC Peer Review College
Member of Association for the Study of Modern and Contemporary France Executive Committee (2004-2007); Treasurer (2005-2007)
Member of Editorial Board for Modern and Contemporary France (2009-2011)
Member of International Advisory Board for Performing Islam
Member of Advisory Committee of UK Subject Centre for Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies in Scotland
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 21
- Kiwan, N 2017, 'Remembering on the City’s Margins: The Musée de l’histoire de l’immigration in Paris', Journal of Contemporary European Studies, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 426-440. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14782804.2017.1381587
- Kiwan, N 2017, Transformer les perceptions de l'islam ? Le cas de l’intellectuel musulman laïque Abdelwahhab Meddeb . in M Boucher, G Pleyers & P Rebughini (eds), Subjectivation et désubjectivation Penser le sujet dans la globalisation. Éditions de la Maison des sciences de l'homme, Paris, pp. 263-273.
- Gibert, M-P & Kiwan, N 2016, 'Artistic Identities and Professional Strategies: Francophone Musicians in France and Britain', Modern and Contemporary France, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 253-269. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09639489.2015.1127220
- Kiwan, N 2016, 'Freedom of thought in the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo attacks', French Cultural Studies, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 233-244. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0957155816648103
- Kiwan, N 2014, 'Moroccan Multiplicities: Performing Transnationalism and Alternative Nationalism in the Contemporary Urban Music Scene', Cahiers d’études africaines, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 975-997.
- Kiwan, N 2013, 'Muslim and secular: Performing 'Muslim' exemplarity and public debates on Islam in France', Performing Islam, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 45-66. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1386/pi.2.1.45_1
- Kiwan, N 2012, 'Convergence des régimes discursifs et appartenance religieuse dans l'espace public: le cas de l’islam au Royaume Uni et en France', Revue de l’Observatoire de la Société Britannique , vol. 13, pp. 63-81.
- Kiwan, N & Meinhof, UH 2011, Cultural Globalization and Music: African Artists in Transnational Networks. Palgrave Macmillan , Basingstoke UK.
- Kiwan, N & Meinhof, UH 2011, 'Music and Migration: A Transnational Approach', Music and Arts in Action, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 3-20.
- Kiwan, N & Meinhof, UH (eds) 2011, 'Music and Migration: Special Issue', Music and Arts in Action, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 1-166.