Director of the Confucius Institute
Interim Head of School
I have been a lecturer in Gaelic since September 2004 and Senior Lecturer since August 2011. I was promoted to Personal Chair in Gaelic in 2019.
My areas of research include: modern Gaelic literature; the concept of Gaelic identity; the modern Gaelic community; Gaelic drama; language teaching and language planning.
Gaelic drama, modern Gaelic literature, community language planning and adult language acquisition.
I am Co-Director of the Soillse Research Network - a research collaboration between the University of the Highlands and Islands, The University of Aberdeen, Edinburgh University and the University of Glasgow. It has been established to provide a much enhanced research capacity to inform public policy towards the maintenance and revitalisation of gaelic language and culture. www.soillse.ac.uk
I teach Gaelic language across the degree programme and sub-honours introductory courses on Gaelic society and literature. I also teach honours courses on: Modern Gaelic Poetry, Gaelic Dialectology, Modern Irish Language and Language and Identity.
- Further Info
- Chair of the Catherine McCaig Trust
- Co-Director Soillse Research Network
I am the Exams Officer for Gaelic and the Programme Coordinator for the Combined Honours in Scottish Studies and Sustained Studies in Arabic, Mandarin and Swedish. I am a Deputy Director of the University of Aberdeen Confucius Institute. I sit on the University's Gaelic Language Plan Advisory Group http://www.abdn.ac.uk/ppg/index.php?id=170&sub=11&top=2
- Teaching Assistant / Fellow, University of Aberdeen Celtic Department, 1994-1997
- Lecturer in Gaelic, School of Irish, National University of Ireland, Galway, 1997-2000
- Project Officer and Director of Ionad Chaluim Chille Ìle, 2000-2003
- Language Planning Manager, Bòrd na Gàidhlig, 2003-2004
Page 3 of 3 Results 21 to 28 of 28
- MacLeod, MC 2007, 'Puer Aeternus: a’ chiad phearsa ann an trì nobhailean Gàidhlig', Léann, vol. 1, pp. 37-45.
- MacLeod, MC 2005, Theories of Language Planning. Western Isles Language Planning Group, Stornoway, United Kingdom.
- MacLeod, MC 2004, 2020 Vision: A Consultative Survey of the Gaelic Development Sector. Bord na Gaidhlig, Inverness, United Kingdom.
- MacLeod, MC 2003, "Eilean Beag Donn a' Chuain": A'Mhuir mar mheatafor ann am Bàrdachd Leòdhais. in In: Cruth na Tire (eds.McLeod,W;Ní Annracháain) Coisceim, Dublin. In: Cruth na Tire (eds.McLeod,W;Ní Annracháain) Coisceim, Dublin, pp. 121-135.
- MacLeod, MC 2001, 'Home and Exile: a comparison of the poetry of Máirtín Ó Direáin and Ruaraidh MacThòmais', New Hibernia Review, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 72-81.
- MacLeod, MC 2001, 'Language and bilingualism in the Gaelic Poetry of Ian Crichton Smith', Scottish Studies Review, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 105-113.
- MacLeod, MC 2000, 'Teaching Scottish Gaelic to Irish Speakers', Journal of Celtic Language Learning, vol. 5, pp. 77-81.
- MacLeod, MC 1999, 'Smuaintean an eilthirich: Leodhas agus Fanas ann am bardachd Ruairidh Mhic Thomais', Scottish Gaelic Studies, vol. 19, pp. 59-65.