Director of the Confucius Institute
I have been a lecturer in Gaelic since September 2004 and Senior Lecturer since August 2011. I was promoted to Personal Chair in Gaelic in 2019.
My areas of research include: modern Gaelic literature; the concept of Gaelic identity; the modern Gaelic community; Gaelic drama; language teaching and language planning.
Gaelic drama, modern Gaelic literature, community language planning and adult language acquisition.
I am Co-Director of the Soillse Research Network - a research collaboration between the University of the Highlands and Islands, The University of Aberdeen, Edinburgh University and the University of Glasgow. It has been established to provide a much enhanced research capacity to inform public policy towards the maintenance and revitalisation of gaelic language and culture. www.soillse.ac.uk
I teach Gaelic language across the degree programme and sub-honours introductory courses on Gaelic society and literature. I also teach honours courses on: Modern Gaelic Poetry, Gaelic Dialectology, Modern Irish Language and Language and Identity.
- Further Info
- Chair of the Catherine McCaig Trust
- Co-Director Soillse Research Network
I am the Exams Officer for Gaelic and the Programme Coordinator for the Combined Honours in Scottish Studies and Sustained Studies in Arabic, Mandarin and Swedish. I am a Deputy Director of the University of Aberdeen Confucius Institute. I sit on the University's Gaelic Language Plan Advisory Group http://www.abdn.ac.uk/ppg/index.php?id=170&sub=11&top=2
- Teaching Assistant / Fellow, University of Aberdeen Celtic Department, 1994-1997
- Lecturer in Gaelic, School of Irish, National University of Ireland, Galway, 1997-2000
- Project Officer and Director of Ionad Chaluim Chille Ìle, 2000-2003
- Language Planning Manager, Bòrd na Gàidhlig, 2003-2004
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 28
- MacLeod, M, MacLeod, M & Dombrowski, L 2019, 'Perceptions of creativity and authenticity when acquiring a minoritised language as an adult', Scottish Gaelic Studies, vol. 31, pp. 48-69.
- MacLeod, MC 2019, '“New Speakers, New Language? A pilot study of young Gaelic bilinguals’ language practices”', Studia Celtica Posnaniensia.
- MacLeod, M, Armstrong, TC, Munro, G & Taylor, I 2018, Planning for growth: the professionalisation of the taskforce for Gaelic revitalisation. in M Marsaili & C Smith-Christmas (eds), Gaelic in Contemporary Scotland : The Revitalisation of an Endangered Language. Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh.
- MacLeod, MC 2016, An Fhirinn agus A' Bhreug: Deich Dealbhan-cluiche le Tormod Calum Domhnallach. Aberdeen University Press, Aberdeen.
- MacLeod, M & MacLeod, MC 2016, 'Structure and Agency: Influences on and Experiences of Learning Gaelic in Adulthood', Paper presented at Small Language Planning Communities in Crisis, Glasgow, United Kingdom, 6/06/16 - 8/06/16.
- MacLeod, MC 2016, 'The closed room: expressions of existentialism and absurdity in Gaelic drama', International Journal of Scottish Theatre and Screen, vol. 9, pp. 89–112. <> [Online] DOI: http://ijosts.ubiquitypress.com/articles/abstract/218/
- MacLeod, MC & Dosa, A 2015, Contemporary Poetry 1950s-The Present. in C Sassi (ed.), International Companion to Scottish Poetry. Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, pp. 89-93.
- MacLeod, M, Macleod, MC, Milligan Dombrowski, L & Jones, K 2015, Lìbhrigeadh Gàidhlig do Dh’inbhich tro Ùlpan: Delivery of Gaelic to Adults through Ùlpan. Bord na Gaidhlig.
- MacLeod, M & MacLeod, MC 2015, 'Structur agus Fèin-riaghladh: Buaidhean agus Fèin-fhiosrachadh air Gàidhlig Ionnsachadh mar Inbhich', Paper presented at Còmhdhail Eadar-Nàiseanta na Ceiltis / International Celtic Congress, Glasgow, United Kingdom, 13/07/15 - 17/07/15.
- Macleod, MC 2014, 'Three Centuries of Gaelic Language Manipulation on Stage', Scottish Language, vol. 33. <> [Online] DOI: https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1G1-405678417/three-centuries-of-gaelic-language-manipulation-on