Chair in Chemistry
Protecting the Oceans Using Chemistry
Professor Marcel Jaspars has been advising the United Nations to develop a new law to protect marine biodiversity. The UN is working to conserve and sustainably use marine biodiversity in areas beyond national jurisdiction – about 60% of the oceans and 40% of the entire planet. The Song of the Oceans brings together science, the arts and humanities to publicise the urgent need to conserve the oceans.
Spinout Company - GyreOx Therapeutics
GyreOx will use an automated chemoenzymatic process to treat complex diseases by producing designed compound libraries to hit ‘undruggable’ targets. The GyreOx combination of computational design, automation and unique engineered enzymes allows them to deliver novel drugs in the chemical space beyond the 'rule of 5'. Focussed library design enables better compound-target interaction and the tuning of important drug properties. No other technology offers GyreOx's degree of flexibility in design and production.
The company was founded in late 2019 and the seed round investment came in at the beginning of March 2020. The company was founded together with Prof Jim Naismith at the University of Oxford and Dr Bill Primrose, Entrepreneur, with funding from Innovate UK and other investors.
- Vice President International and Member of Council for the Royal Society of Edinburgh 2019-2022
- Head of the Department of Chemistry, University of Aberdeen 2016-2019
- Scientific Project Leader of the EU FP7 Project ‘PharmaSea’ (€ 9.5 M, 24 partners from 14 countries) which aims to make the use of marine microbial derived compounds a more attractive proposition to the pharmaceutical industry. The microbes are obtained from extreme environments, in particular hadal trenches and cryogenic environments. www.pharma-sea.eu 2012-2017
- Visiting Professor for Senior International Scientists of the Chinese Academy of Sciences 2012-2013
- Visiting Professor (20%) at the University of Tromsø, Norway to provide advice for their £14 M marine biodiscovery programme. 2007-2017
- Sabbatical at the Australian Institute of Marine Science, 2004
- Professor of Organic Chemistry, University of Aberdeen, 2003-
- Senior Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, University of Aberdeen, 2000-2003
- Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, University of Aberdeen, 1995-2000
- Post-Doc, Crews Lab, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1993-1995
- Post-Doc, Burgess Lab, Texas A & M University, 1992-1993
- Sc.D. Cantab entitled “Investigating the Chemical Structures, Bioactivity and Biosynthesis of Marine and Desert Natural Products” 2018
- PhD in Davis group, Trinity College, Dublin, Eire entitled "Electrophilic Catalysis of the Sakurai Reaction", 1987-1991
- BA (Hons) Cantab, Natural Sciences (Chemistry), 1987
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council Research Development Fellow, 2006-2009
- American Society of Pharmacognosy Matt Suffness Award for young investigators, 2003
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, Chartered Chemist
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh
- On the scientific advisory board for the EU Horizon 2020 ATLAS Project (Coordinator, Murray Roberts, University of Edinburgh) 2018-
- Co-lead of the Deep Sea Genetic Resources Working Group of the Deep Ocean Stewardship Initiative. 2018-
- On the Scientific Advisory Board of the Center for Microbial Secondary Metabolites, Danish Technical University, Copenhagen, Denmark 2018-
- Management board of NPRONET, a BBSRC network in industrial biotechnology and biosciences. 2014-2018
- Governing board member of Industrial Biotechnology Innovation Centre, Strathclyde 2014-2016
- Co-author of Blue Paper on the Ocean Genome for the High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy 2020
- Co-author of study for the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity on Digital Sequence Information on Genetic Resources: Concept, Scope and Current Use. CBD/DSI/AHTEG/2020/1/3 2020
- Special advisor on Marine Genetic Resources to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature at the United Nations process on the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Biodiversity of Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction. 2019-
- Member of Royal Society working group writing a policy briefing for the Government Office of Science entitled “Future Ocean Resources: Metal-Rich Minerals and Genetics” Released July 2017.
- Chair of advisory panel of policy and legal experts (Part of the PharmaSea EU FP7 consortium lead by Marcel Jaspars 2012-17) bringing together policymakers (United Nations, European Commission) with NGOs (International Union for the Conservation of Nature, Convention on Biodiversity Secretariat, International Seabed Authority) with international marine biotechnology companies and academic and legal/policy experts to shape the policy debate on intellectual property derived from marine genetic resources in areas beyond national jurisdiction (United Nations process on the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Biodiversity of Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction). Contributions recorded on our BBNJ Page and our Song of the Ocean page
- UK member of the Marine Biotechnology working group of the European Science Foundation’s Marine Board Marine Biotechnology Working Group to assist in the revision of the White Paper “Marine Biotechnology – A European Strategy” 2009-2010
My research involves the discovery of new compounds with potential pharmaceutical use from marine and desert environments, their structure determination and biosynthesis. Translation of bioactive natural compounds into preclinical evaluation is exemplified by with sponge derived compounds/analogues that have activity in animal models for Alzheimer’s disease or epilepsy or are able to deliver proteins into animal brains to generate a model of Alzheimer’s disease.
Natural Product Structure Determination:
Structural work involves the use of complementary NMR and theoretical methods to solve the relative stereochemistry of complex natural products, particularly the use of NOE data to constrain conformational searches and the comparison of predicted and experimental CD spectra. A combination of analytical and spectroscopic methods was used to define a metal complex present in the extract of a seasquirt, giving insight into its ecological role.
Together with Leo Gross at IBM Research, I started original work on organic structure determination using a combination of spectroscopy and atomic force microscopy (AFM). First we showed how Ångstrom-resolution AFM images may be used to solve the structure of a simple planar molecule and how this process might be generalised. Subsequently we applied the combined methods to an unknown molecule with a NMR silent region (no H atoms). In a book chapter, we propose the developments needed so that AFM may become invaluable in the rapid structure determination of complex organic molecules in the future.
The isolation and structural characterisation of modified cyclic peptides of marine origin was driven by an interest in their chemical structure in solution and their interaction with metal ions. A major problem with these bioactive cyclic compounds was a sustainable supply. In 2004, I worked together with Dr Paul Long at the London School of Pharmacy and scientists from the Australian Institute of Marine Science to effect the first shotgun cloning of the patellamide biosynthetic pathway resulting in low level production of these compounds.
Subsequent collaboration with Professor Jim Naismith at St Andrews succeeded in overexpressing and structurally characterising the main enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of the patellamides and related cyanobactins. Working together, we defined the main proteases involved including the macrocyclase that circularises a linear peptide without inclusion of a signal sequence, thus making it a very exciting prospect for biotechnological application. We have defined a unique enzyme that forms the heterocycles – the first crystal structure of this type of enzyme. Engineering of this enzyme allowed short synthetic peptide sequences to be processed to form heterocycles in the chain. These enzymes are extremely permissive, and natural and non-natural substrates can be processed using them resulting in the formation milligram quantities of complex, modified cyclic peptides. The starting sequences may include non-natural amino acids and even non-amino acid segments such as fatty acids, aromatics and sugars, with a minimum of three residues required for this to work.
Marcel provided scientific leadership for a large EU FP7 consortium ‘PharmaSea’, running from 2012-2017 with the contribution of 24 partners from 14 countries. Part of this project was to engage with stakeholders, NGOs and policy makers to provide sound scientific advice on major issues affecting the conservation and sustainable use of marine biodiversity. His major role was to translate scientific information and provide options on this topic to senior policy makers at the EU and UN, making visits to Brussels and New York to present information in a digestible format and answer questions, paying particular attention to the legal and policy requirements.
Marcel has been active at national and international levels to develop the science, its applications/industrial uptake and associated policy involved in marine biodiscovery and biotechnology. Since 2014 Marcel has been involved in the BBNJ process, providing scientific input and co-authoring the Mare Geneticum proposal which provides building blocks based on good scientific practice towards a solution for the MGR aspects of the BBNJ process. Also see our work to bring this to a wider audience with our 'Song of the Oceans'.
At EU level he was involved in coordinating the authoring the health section of a European Science Foundation position paper on the Future of Marine Biotechnology informing the blue growth agenda of the European Commission through a number of concrete and measurable recommendations. In 2017 he was a member of the UK Marine Foresight Committee’s Royal Society Working group that wrote a report entitled ‘Future Ocean Resources: Metal-Rich Minerals and Genetics’ on the UN BBNJ issue and he has since provided advice on this topic to the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office. More recently he was a co-author on a report on the Ocean Genome for the High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy and a lead author on a study for the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity on Digital Sequence Information on Genetic Resources: Scope, Concept and Current Use.
Marcel Jaspars speaking at UN HQ in New York as advisor to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature at the Second Intergovernmental Conference on the UN process on the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Biodiversity in Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction
Visit the Marine Biodiscovery Centre website
Professor Jaspars teaches in the following courses:
1st year General Chemistry (1st half session)
1st year Organic Chemistry (2nd half session)
3rd year Organic Spectroscopy
4th year Organic Spectroscopy
5th year Organic Spectroscopy
- Further Info
"Organic Structure Analysis, 2nd Edition" Phillip Crews, Jaime Rodriguez and Marcel Jaspars. Oxford University Press, New York, 2010, 636 pp.
Page 1 of 5 Results 1 to 50 of 211
- Harbottle, JA, Petrie, L, Ruhe, M, Houssen, WE, Jaspars, M & Kolb, AF 2020, 'A cell-based assay system for activators of the environmental cell stress response', Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 592, 113583. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ab.2020.113583
- Humphries, F, Gottlieb, HM, Laird, S, Wynberg, R, Lawson, C, Rourke, M, Tvedt, MW, Oliva, MJ & Jaspars, M 2020, 'A tiered approach to the marine genetic resource governance framework under the proposed UNCLOS agreement for biodiversity beyond national jurisdiction (BBNJ)', Marine Policy. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2020.103910
- Cortés-Albayay, C, Jarmusch, SA, Trusch, F, Ebel, R, Andrews, BA, Jaspars, M & Asenjo, JA 2020, 'Downsizing Class II Lasso Peptides: Genome Mining-Guided Isolation of Huascopeptin Containing the First Gly1-Asp7 Macrocycle', Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 1661-1667. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.joc.9b02231
- Acquah, KS, Beukes, DR, Warner, DF, Meyers, PR, Sunassee, SN, Maglangit, F, Deng, H, Jaspars, M & Gammon, DW 2020, 'Novel South African Rare Actinomycete Kribbellaspeibonae Strain SK5: A Prolific Producer of Hydroxamate Siderophores Including New Dehydroxylated Congeners', Molecules, vol. 25, no. 13, 2979. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25132979
- Idress, M, Milne, BF, Thompson, GS, Trembleau, L, Jaspars, M & Houssen, WE 2020, 'Structure‐based design, synthesis and bioactivity of a new anti‐TNFα cyclopeptide', Molecules, vol. 25, no. 4, 922. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25040922
- Abdel-Mageed, WM, Juhasz, B, Lehri, B, Alqahtani, AS, Nouioui, I, Pech-Puch, D, Tabudravu, JN, Goodfellow, M, Rodríguez, J, Jaspars, M & Karlyshev, AV 2020, 'Whole Genome Sequence of Dermacoccus abyssi MT1.1 Isolated from the Challenger Deep of the Mariana Trench Reveals Phenazine Biosynthesis Locus and Environmental Adaptation Factors', Marine Drugs, vol. 18, no. 3, 131. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/md18030131
- Abdel-Mageed, WM, Lehri, B, Jarmusch, SA, Miranda, K, Al-Wahaibi, LH, Stewart, HA, Jamieson, AJ, Jaspars, M & Karlyshev, AV 2020, 'Whole genome sequencing of four bacterial strains from South Shetland Trench revealing biosynthetic and environmental adaptation gene clusters', Marine Genomics. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margen.2020.100782
- Martínez, KA, Lauritano, C, Druka, D, Romano, G, Grohmann, T, Jaspars, M, Martín, J, Díaz, C, Cautain, B, de la Cruz, M, Ianora, A & Reyes, F 2019, 'Amphidinol 22, a New Cytotoxic and Antifungal Amphidinol from the Dinoflagellate Amphidinium carterae', Marine Drugs, vol. 17, no. 7, 385. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/md17070385
- Gomez-Escribano, JP, Castro, JF, Razmilic, V, Jarmusch, SA, Saalbach, G, Ebel, R, Jaspars, M, Andrews, B, Asenjo, JA & Bibb, MJ 2019, 'Heterologous expression of a cryptic gene cluster from Streptomyces leeuwenhoekii C34T yields a novel lasso peptide, leepeptin', Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 85, no. 23, e01752-19. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.01752-19
- Collins, JE, Harden-Davies, H, Jaspars, M, Thiele, T, Vanagt, T & Huys, I 2019, 'Inclusive innovation: Enhancing global participation in and benefit sharing linked to the utilization of marine genetic resources from areas beyond national jurisdiction', Marine Policy, vol. 109, 103696. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2019.103696
- Tabudravu, JN, Pellissier, L, Smith, AJ, Subko, K, Autréau, C, Feussner, K, Hardy, D, Butler, D, Kidd, R, Milton, EJ, Deng, H, Ebel, R, Salonna, M, Gissi, C, Montesanto, F, Kelly, SM, Milne, BF, Cimpan, G & Jaspars, M 2019, 'LC-HRMS-Database Screening Metrics for Rapid Prioritization of Samples to Accelerate the Discovery of Structurally New Natural Products', Journal of Natural Products, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 211-220. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jnatprod.8b00575
- Maglangit, F, Tong, MH, Jaspars, M, Kyeremeh, K & Deng, H 2019, 'Legonoxamines A-B, two new hydroxamate siderophores from the soil bacterium, Streptomyces sp. MA37', Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 75-79. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2018.11.063
- Kyeremeh, K, Flint, A, Jaspars, M, Sunassee, SN, Amewu, R, Dziwornu, GA, Acquah, KS, Padiki, AN, Krause, R & Osei-Safo, D 2019, Making North-South Collaborations Work: Facilitating Natural Product Drug Discovery in Africa. in M Ramutsindela & D Mickler (eds), Africa and the sustainable development goals. Sustainable Development Goals Series, Springer International Publishing AG, pp. 257-266. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-14857-7_24
- Tetevi, GM, Kwain, S, Mensah, T, Camas, AS, Camas, M, Dofuor, AK, Azerigyik, FA, Oluwabusola, E, Deng, H, Jaspars, M & Kyeremeh, K 2019, 'Paenidigyamycin g: 1-acetyl-2,4-dimethyl-3-phenethyl-1H-imidazol-3-ium', MolBank, vol. 2019, no. 4, M1094. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/M1094
- Abbasov, ME, Alvariño, R, Chaheine, CM, Alonso, E, Sánchez, JA, Conner, ML, Alfonso, A, Jaspars, M, Botana, LM & Romo, D 2019, 'Simplified immunosuppressive and neuroprotective agents based on gracilin A', Nature Chemistry, vol. 11, pp. 342-350. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41557-019-0230-0
- Carro, L, Castro, JF, Razmilic, V, Nouioui, I, Pan, C, Igual, JM, Jaspars, M, Goodfellow, M, Bull, AT, Asenjo, JA & Klenk, H-P 2019, 'Uncovering the potential of novel micromonosporae isolated from an extreme hyper-arid Atacama Desert soil', Scientific Reports, vol. 9, 4678. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-38789-z
- Kyeremeh, K, Kwain, S, Tetevi, GM, Camas, AS, Camas, M, Dofuor, AK, Deng, H & Jaspars, M 2019, 'α-D-glucopyranosyl-(1→2)-[6-O-(L-tryptophanyl)-β-D-fructofuranoside]', MolBank, vol. 2019, no. 2, M1066. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/M1066
- Broggiato, A, Vanagt, T, Lallier, LE, Jaspars, M, Burton, G & Muyldermans, D 2018, 'Mare Geneticum: Balancing Governance of Marine Genetic Resources in International Waters', International Journal of Marine and Coastal Law, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 3-33. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1163/15718085-13310030
- Tortorella, E, Tedesco, P, Palma Esposito, F, January, GG, Fani, R, Jaspars, M & de Pascale, D 2018, 'Antibiotics from Deep-Sea Microorganisms: Current Discoveries and Perspectives', Marine Drugs, vol. 16, no. 10, 355. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/md16100355
- Abdelkader, MSA, Philippon, T, Asenjo, JA, Bull, AT, Goodfellow, M, Ebel, R, Jaspars, M & Rateb, ME 2018, 'Asenjonamides A-C, antibacterial metabolites isolated from Streptomyces asenjonii strain KNN 42.f from an extreme-hyper arid Atacama Desert soil', The Journal of antibiotics, vol. 71, pp. 425-431. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41429-017-0012-0
- Bromley, CL, Raab, A, Parker-Nance, S, Beukes, DR, Jaspars, M & Davies-Coleman, MT 2018, 'Hyphenated LC-ICP-MS/ESI-MS identification of halogenated metabolites in South African marine ascidian extracts', South African Journal of Chemistry, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 111-117. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.17159/0379-4350/2018/v71a14
- Rateb, ME, Ebel, R & Jaspars, M 2018, 'Natural product diversity of actinobacteria in the Atacama Desert', Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, International Journal of General and Molecular Microbiology, vol. 111, no. 8, pp. 1467-1477. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10482-018-1030-z
- Osei, E, Kwain, S, Mawuli, GT, Anang, AK, Owusu, KB-A, Camas, M, Camas, AS, Ohashi, M, Alexandru-Crivac, C-N, Deng, H, Jaspars, M & Kyeremeh, K 2018, 'Paenidigyamycin A, Potent Antiparasitic Imidazole Alkaloid from the Ghanaian Paenibacillus sp. DE2SH', Marine Drugs, vol. 17, no. 1, 9. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/md17010009
- Dambuza, IM, Drake, T, Chapuis, A, Zhou, X, Correia, J, Taylor-Smith, L, Legrave, N, Rasmussen, T, Fisher, MC, Bicanic, T, Harrison, TS, Jaspars, M, May, RC, Brown, GD, Yuecel, R, MacCallum, DM & Ballou, E 2018, 'The Cryptococcus neoformans Titan cell is an inducible and regulated morphotype underlying pathogenesis', PLoS Pathogens, vol. 14, no. 5, e1006978, pp. 1-28. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.1006978
- Copmans, D, Rateb, M, Tabudravu, JN, Pérez-Bonilla, M, Dirkx, N, Vallorani, R, Diaz, C, Pérez Del Palacio, J, Smith, AJ, Ebel, R, Reyes, F, Jaspars, M & de Witte, PAM 2018, 'Zebrafish-Based Discovery of Antiseizure Compounds from the Red Sea: Pseurotin A2 and Azaspirofuran A', ACS Chemical Neuroscience, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1652-1662. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acschemneuro.8b00060
- Booth, J, Alexandru-Crivac, C-N, Rickaby, KA, Nneoyiegbe, AF, Umeobika, U, McEwan, AR, Trembleau, L, Jaspars, M, Houssen, WE & Shalashilin, DV 2017, 'A Blind Test of Computational Technique for Predicting the Likelihood of Peptide Sequences to Cyclize', The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 2310-2315. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b00848
- Oueis, E, Stevenson, H, Jaspars, M, Westwood, NJ & Naismith, JH 2017, 'Bypassing the proline/thiazoline requirement of the macrocyclase PatG', Chemical Communications, vol. 53, no. 91, pp. 12274-12277. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c7cc06550g
- Idress, M, Alexandru-Crivac, CN, Jaspars, M, Trembleau, LAC, Houssen Ibrahim, WE-SM, Rickaby, KA & Dalponte, L 2017, Cyclic Peptides – A Look to the Future. in J Koehnke, J Naismith & WA van der Donk (eds), Cyclic Peptides: From Bioorganic Synthesis to Applications . Royal Society of Chemistry (Great Britain) , UK, pp. 340-373. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/9781788010153-00340
- Alexandru-Crivac, CN, Umeobika, C, Leikoski, N, Jokela, J, Rickaby, K, Grilo, AM, Sjo, P, Plowright, AT, Idress, M, Siebs, E, Nneoyi-Egbe, A, Wahlsten, M, Sivonen, K, Jaspars, M, Trembleau, L, Fewer, DP & Houssen Ibrahim, WE 2017, 'Cyclic peptide production using a macrocyclase with enhanced substrate promiscuity and relaxed recognition determinants', Chemical Communications, vol. 53, no. 77, pp. 10656-10659. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/C7CC05913B
- Wakefield, J, Hassan, HM, Jaspars, M, Ebel, R & Rateb, ME 2017, 'Dual Induction of New Microbial Secondary Metabolites by Fungal Bacterial Co-cultivation', Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 8, 1284, pp. 1-10. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2017.01284
- Alenezi, FN, Rekik, I, Bouket, AC, Luptakova, L, Rateb, ME, Weitz, H, Jaspars, M, Woodward, S & Belbahri, L 2017, 'Increased Biological Activity of Aneurinibacillus migulanus Strains Correlates with the Production of New Gramicidin Secondary Metabolites', Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 8, 517, pp. 1-11. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2017.00517
- Wichner, D, Idris, H, Houssen, WE, McEwan, AR, Bull, AT, Asenjo, JA, Goodfellow, M, Jaspars, M, Ebel, R & Rateb, ME 2017, 'Isolation and anti-HIV-1 integrase activity of lentzeosides A-F from extremotolerant lentzea sp. H45, a strain isolated from a high-altitude Atacama Desert soil', The Journal of antibiotics, vol. 70, pp. 448-453. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/ja.2016.78
- Sonnenschein, EC, Stierhof, M, Goralczyk, S, Vabre, FM, Pellissier, L, Hanssen, KØ, de la Cruz, M, Díaz, C, de Witte, P, Copmans, D, Andersen, JH, Hansen, E, Kristoffersen, V, Tormo, JR, Ebel, R, Milne, BF, Deng, H, Gram, L, Jaspars, M & Tabudravu, JN 2017, 'Pseudochelin A, a siderophore of Pseudoalteromonas piscicida S2040', Tetrahedron, vol. 73, no. 18, pp. 2633-2637. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tet.2017.03.051
- Oueis, E, Nardone, B, Jaspars, M, Westwood, NJ & Naismith, JH 2017, 'Synthesis of Hybrid Cyclopeptides through Enzymatic Macrocyclization', ChemistryOpen, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 11-14. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/open.201600134
- Chervin, J, Stierhof, M, Tong, MH, Peace, D, Hansen, KØ, Urgast, DS, Andersen, JH, Yu, Y, Ebel, R, Kyeremeh, K, Paget, V, Cimpan, G, Wyk, AV, Deng, H, Jaspars, M & Tabudravu, JN 2017, 'Targeted Dereplication of Microbial Natural Products by High-Resolution MS and Predicted LC Retention Time', Journal of Natural Products, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 1370-1377. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jnatprod.6b01035
- Parajuli, A, Kwak, DH, Dalponte, L, Leikoski, N, Galica, T, Umeobika, U, Trembleau, L, Bent, A, Sivonen, K, Wahlsten, M, Wang, H, Rizzi, E, De Bellis, G, Naismith, J, Jaspars, M, Liu, X, Houssen, W & Fewer, DP 2016, 'A Unique Tryptophan C-Prenyltransferase from the Kawaguchipeptin Biosynthetic Pathway', Angewandte Chemie, vol. 128, no. 11, pp. 3660-3663. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ange.201509920
- Adaba, RI, Mann, G, Raab, A, Houssen, WE, McEwan, AR, Thomas, L, Tabudravu, J, Naismith, JH & Jaspars, M 2016, 'Accurate quantification of modified cyclic peptides without the need for authentic standards', Tetrahedron, vol. 72, no. 52, pp. 8603-8609. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tet.2016.11.040
- Tedesco, P, Maida, I, Palma Esposito, F, Tortorella, E, Subko, K, Ezeofor, CC, Zhang, Y, Tabudravu, J, Jaspars, M, Fani, R & de Pascale, D 2016, 'Antimicrobial Activity of Monoramnholipids Produced by Bacterial Strains Isolated from the Ross Sea (Antarctica)', Marine Drugs, vol. 14, no. 5, 83, pp. 1-14. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/md14050083
- Oueis, E, Jaspars, M, Westwood, NJ & Naismith, JH 2016, 'Enzymatic Macrocyclization of 1,2,3-Triazole Peptide Mimetics', Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 55, no. 19, pp. 5842-5845. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201601564
- Alonso, E, Alvariño, R, Leirós, M, Tabudravu, JN, Feussner, K, Dam, MA, Rateb, ME, Jaspars, M & Botana, LM 2016, 'Evaluation of the Antioxidant Activity of the Marine Pyrroloiminoquinone Makaluvamines', Marine Drugs, vol. 14, no. 11, 197. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/md14110197
- Abdelkader, MSA, Rateb, M, Mohamed, GA & Jaspars, M 2016, 'Harpulliasides A and B: Two new benzeneacetic acid derivatives from Harpullia pendula', Phytochemistry letters, vol. 15, pp. 131-135. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytol.2015.12.006
- Sánchez, JA, Alfonso, A, Leirós, M, Alonso, E, Rateb, ME, Jaspars, M, Houssen, WE, Ebel, R, Tabudravu, J & Botana, LM 2016, 'Identification of Spongionella compounds as cyclosporine A mimics', Pharmacological Research, vol. 107, pp. 407-414. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrs.2016.03.029
- Brás, NF, Ferreira, P, Calixto, AR, Jaspars, M, Houssen, W, Naismith, JH, Fernandes, PA & Ramos, MJ 2016, 'Inside Cover: The Catalytic Mechanism of the Marine-Derived Macrocyclase PatGmac (Chem. Eur. J. 37/2016)', Chemistry : a European Journal, vol. 22, no. 37, pp. 12946. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/chem.201603742
- Stierhof, M, Hansen, KØ, Sharma, M, Feussner, K, Subko, K, Díaz-Rullo, FF, Isaksson, J, Pérez-Victoria, I, Clarke, D, Hansen, E, Jaspars, M & Tabudravu, JN 2016, 'New cytotoxic callipeltins from the Solomon Island marine sponge Asteropus sp.', Tetrahedron, vol. 72, no. 44, pp. 6929-6934. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tet.2016.09.016
- Sánchez, JA, Alfonso, A, Rodriguez, I, Alonso, E, Cifuentes, JM, Bermudez, R, Rateb, ME, Jaspars, M, Houssen, WE, Ebel, R, Tabudravu, J & Botana, LM 2016, 'Spongionella Secondary Metabolites, Promising Modulators of Immune Response through CD147 Receptor Modulation', Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 7, 452. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2016.00452
- Alenezi, FNHHK, Rekik, I, Belka, M, Ibrahim, AF, Luptakova, L, Jaspars, M, Woodward, S & Belbahri, L 2016, 'Strain-level diversity of secondary metabolism in the biocontrol species Aneurinibacillus migulanus', Microbiological Research, vol. 182, pp. 116-124. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micres.2015.10.007
- Bent, AF, Mann, G, Houssen, WE, Mykhaylyk, V, Duman, R, Thomas, L, Jaspars, M, Wagner, A & Naismith, JH 2016, 'Structure of the cyanobactin oxidase ThcOx from Cyanothece sp. PCC 7425, the first structure to be solved at Diamond Light Source beamline I23 by means of S-SAD', Acta Crystallographica Section D: Structural Biology, vol. 72, no. 11, pp. 1174-1180. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1107/S2059798316015850
- Bras, NF, Ferreira, P, Calixto, AR, Jaspars, M, Houssen Ibrahim, WE-SM, Naismith, JH, Fernandes, PA & Ramos, MJ 2016, 'The Catalytic Mechanism of the Marine-Derived Macrocyclase, PATGmac', Chemistry : a European Journal, vol. 22, no. 37, pp. 13089-13097. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/chem.201601670
- Jaspars, M, De Pascale, D, Andersen, JH, Reyes, F, Crawford, AD & Ianora, A 2016, 'The marine biodiscovery pipeline and ocean medicines of tomorrow', Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 151-158. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315415002106
- Wineman, E, Douglas, I, Wineman, V, Sharova, K, Jaspars, M, Meshner, S, Bentwich, Z, Cohen, G & Shtevi, A 2015, 'Commiphora gileadensis sap extract induces cell cycle-dependent death in immortalized keratinocytes and human dermoid carcinoma', Journal of herbal medicine, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 199-206. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hermed.2015.08.001