Reconstruction and Characterisation of Slope Failure Events
On 7 February 2021, a flash flood triggered by a rock-ice avalanche caused significant damage of life and property in the Indian Himalaya. Using satellite datasets, digital terrain models and simulations, we report the flow characteristics of two avalanches within a 5-year interval at the slope failure site. Prior to both the events, we observed changes in surface velocity. This study highlights that we should consider antecedent conditions, for holistic assessment of hazards.
- Editor of Springer Nature Applied Sciences journal by Springer Nature
- Editor of BMC Research Notes, Part of Springer Nature.
- Editor of Frontiers Research Topic Advances in Mars Research and Exploration
- Editor for the open access journal Remote Sensing (ISSN 2072-4292) Remote Sensing/ Impact Factor (2018): 4.118. Also editor of special Issues:
- Invited guest editor for a special issue ‘Advances in Land Surface Hydrological Processes’ in open access journal Hydrology (ISSN 2306-5338).
- Remote sensing and Geographical Information System (GIS) applications
- Landforms and surface processes
- Glaciology; including alpine glacier dynamics, glacial geomorphology, glacial hazards and glaciers-climate interaction
- High-resolution terrain modelling and interpretation
- Use of Unmanned aerial systems (UAS)/drones for environmental monitoring and Mars analogue research
I am currently accepting PhDs in Geography and Environment, Geology and Geophysics.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your research ideas further.
Geography and EnvironmentAccepting PhDs
Geology and GeophysicsAccepting PhDs
- Remote Sensing
- Geographical Information Systems
- Glaciology and Cryospheric Systems
- Planetary Science
Funding and Grants
- Global Challange Research Internal Fund: Pump Prime grant for the project 'Ice stupa: a solution to improve Himalayan-Karakoram mountain community resilience to water scarcity'. During August 2020 - July 2021. Funding agency: The Aberdeen Grants Academy, University of Aberdeen
- 'Geostatistical analysis of spatiotemporal trends of COVID-19 spread in UK'. NERC-Funded QUADRAT Research Experience Placement
- 'Assessing the long-term impact of climatic variables on coastal changes in Scotland using geospatial tools'. NERC-Funded QUADRAT Research Experience Placement
- 'Robust infrastructure – Adapting railway maintenance to climate change(CliMaint)'. Funding Agency: VINNOVA Sweden’s Innovation Agency
GG5540/GG5563 (CURRENT APPLICATIONS OF GIS): Course Coordinator and Tutor
GG3069 (REMOTE SENSING AND GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS): Co-course coordinator and Tutor
GG5910 (DISSERTATION PROJECT IN GIS): Supervision
GL5206/5207 (THE NATURE OF GEOLOGICAL AND GEOGRAPHICAL DATA): Tutor
GL5546 (APPLIED, INDUSTRY AND RESEARCH GEOPHYSICS): Guest Lecturer
Page 1 of 5 Results 1 to 10 of 47
Methods and insights on enabling geovisualisation for coastal communities of the North Shore of VancouverCoastal Studies & SocietyContributions to Journals: Articles
A flexible deep learning crater detection scheme using Segment Anything Model (SAM)Icarus, vol. 408, 115797Contributions to Journals: Articles
Rising winter temperatures might augment increasing wheat yield in Gangetic PlainsTheoretical and Applied Climatology, vol. 150, pp. 1531–1544Contributions to Journals: Articles
A discussion on the plausible role of ice streams in carving Martian outflow channels: Revisiting the earliest hypothesis by Lucchitta et al. (1981)Progress in Physical Geography, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 809-818Contributions to Journals: Articles
Multitemporal glacier inventory revealing four decades of glacier changes in the Ladakh regionEarth System Science Data, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 4171–4185Contributions to Journals: Articles
Does a roosting flock of migratory birds also echelon in high winds?Journal of ethology, vol. 40, pp. 291–296Contributions to Journals: Articles
Editorial:: Applications of Remote Sensing in GlaciologyRemote Sensing, vol. 14, no. 17, 4146Contributions to Journals: Articles
Editorial: Advances in Mars Research and ExplorationFrontiers in Astronomy and Space SciencesContributions to Journals: Articles
Visualising avalanches in the HimalayasRoyal Geographical Society with Institute of British Geographers.Other Contributions: Other Contributions
How satellites are helping us to understand deadly avalanchesThe ConversationContributions to Specialist Publications: Articles