The zeta potential of quartz: Surface complexation modelling to elucidate high salinity measurementsColloids and Surfaces. A, Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, vol. 650, 129507Contributions to Journals: Articles
Experimental study of electrical heating to enhance oil production from oil-wet carbonate reservoirsFuel, vol. 324, no. Part A, 124559Contributions to Journals: Articles
Zeta potential of a natural clayey sandstone saturated with carbonated NaCl solutions at supercritical CO2 conditionsGeophysical Research Letters, vol. 49, e2022GL099277Contributions to Journals: Articles
Predictive surface complexation model of the calcite-aqueous solution interface: the impact of high concentration and complex composition of brinesJournal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 609, pp. 852-867Contributions to Journals: Articles
Zeta potential of CO2-rich aqueous solutions in contact with intact sandstone sample at temperatures of 23°C and 40°C and pressures up to 10.0 MPaJournal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 607, no. Part 2, 1226-1238Contributions to Journals: Articles
I am an academic at the School of Engineering with research interests residing in the field of earth sciences, sustainable earth systems and energy resources.
In particular, my active research projects rely on fundamental geological fluid mechanics, reservoir and interfacial physics, self- and zeta potential phenomena, all of which are applied to wettability characterisation, carbon geological storage, underground hydrogen storage, geothermal resources and hydrocarbon recovery. The used methods span across cutting-edge laboratory experiments, novel field geophysical techniques, analytical and numerical modelling on multiple scales.
I am currently accepting PhDs in Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Geology and Geophysics, Computing Science.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your research ideas further.
Geology and GeophysicsSupervising
Computing ScienceAccepting PhDs
- Energy Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics
- Engineering Physics
- Chemical Engineering
My research focuses on self-potential (SP) methods applied to enhanced oil recovery via controlled salinity waterflooding, hydrodynamics of saline intrusion, flows in fractured systems, wettability characterisation, geothermal resources, geological storage of CO2 and H2, and harvesting of subsurface energy.
SP arises in porous media saturated with electrolytes and other NAPF (non-aqueous phase fluid) in response to pressure, concentration or temperature gradients. SP measurements and interpreted from them zeta potential improve our understanding of underlying physics of many complex interfacial phenomena. The method complemented by other petrophysical properties and geophysical methods has already demonstrated its potential to:
- Accurately quantify wettability;
- Characterise flows in fractured rock systems;
- Monitor fluid fronts 100s of meter away from instrumented boreholes;
- Design composition and concentration of injected brines for maximum oil recovery;
- Predict residual gas saturation in porous formations.
Other potential applications of SP measurements include:
- Pre-screening formations for the most efficient subsurface storage of CO2/H2;
- Real-time monitoring and characterisation of geothermal sources;
- Harvesting subsurface electrical energy.
Imperial College London, UK
British Geological Survey, UK
Curtin University, Australia
Edith Cowan University, Austarlia
Bureau de Recherches Géologiques et Minières, France
Sorbonne Université, France
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
Southern Water, UK
TotalEnergies (TOTAL S.A.), France
Funding and Grants
- Australian Research Council Discovery Grant (ARC-Discovery), "Improved hydrogen geological storage via zeta potential measurements" (co-PI with Edith Cowan University), 2022-2025;
- Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysists, "Investigation of Interactions between Rock-Brine and CO2-Brine Interfaces" (PI), 2021-2023;
- Aberdeen Formation Evaluation Society (AFES), "Streaming potential measurement in intact core samples at reservoir conditions with the application to enhanced oil recovery and underground gas storage via miscible CO2 and CO2 sequestration" (PI), 2021-2023;
- Aberdeen Formation Evaluation Society (AFES), "Comprehensive Investigation of Chemical and Miscible Flooding in Enhanced Oil in Natural Rocks" (PI), 2021-2022;
- Petroleum Technology Development Fund, "Miscible-CO2/Chemical Injection EOR - a Comprehensive Study" (PI), 2019-2022;
- Edith Cowan University, "Zeta Potential Measurements in Intact Core Samples at Reservoir Conditions with the Application to CO2 Geological Storage" (PI), 2018-2019.
Reservoir Engineering I-Fundamentals - coordinator
Well Testing: Analysis and Desing - coordinator
Well Plugging And Abandonment - contributor (50%)
Near Surface & Environmental Geophysics - contributor
Topics In Advanced Applied Geophysics - contributor
Page 5 of 6 Results 41 to 50 of 51
Measurement of Streaming Potential Coupling Coefficient in Sandstones Saturated with Natural and Artificial Brines at High SalinityJournal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, vol. 115, no. B12, pp. 1-18Contributions to Journals: Articles
Measurements of Streaming Potential for Downhole Monitoring in Intelligent WellsExploration & Production Oil and Gas Review OTC Edition, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 46-48Contributions to Journals: Articles
Real-Time Measurements of Spontaneous Potential for Inflow Monitoring in Intelligent Wells: SPE Annual Technical Conference and ExhibitionContributions to Conferences: Papers
Measurements of Streaming Potential Coupling Coefficient in Sandstones Saturated with High Salinity NaCl BrineGeophysical Research Letters, vol. 36, no. 21, pp. 1-6Contributions to Journals: Articles
Measurements of Streaming Potential for Downhole Monitoring in Intelligent Wells: SPE Middle East Oil and Gas Show and ConferenceContributions to Conferences: Papers
NOx Reduction from Compression Ignition Engines with Pulsed Corona DischargeEnergy, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 480–491Contributions to Journals: Articles
Multielectrode Corona Reactor for NOx Diesel Exhaust TreatmentChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Conference Proceedings
NOx Diesel Exhaust Gas Treatment Using a Pulsed Corona Discharge: the Pulse Repetition Rate EffectPlasma Sources Science and Technology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 386-391Contributions to Journals: Articles
On-Board Battery Condition Diagnostics Based on Mathematical Modeling of an Engine Starting SystemWorking Papers: Working Papers
NOx Reduction from Compression Ignition Engines with DC Corona Discharge – an Experimental StudyEnergy, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 174-186Contributions to Journals: Articles