Prospective PhD students and academic visitors interested in AI-enabled Healthcare, Hybrid Intelligent Systems and Robotics, Applied Machine Learning, Intelligent Vehicles, Medical Image Processing, Personalised Systems (e.g., healthcare and wellbeing), Vision-based Semantic Understanding, Remote Sensing, Precision agriculture, etc. are encouraged to contact me by email with your full CV. You will receive both high-level and in-depth technical guidance for high-quality research including prestigious journal publications.
Dr Dewei Yi was born in China in 1991. He is now a UK Lecturer (tenure track assistant professor equivalently) in Machine Learning, School of NCS, at University of Aberdeen (UoA), U.K. He received a PhD degree in the Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering, Loughborough University, U.K. in 2018. He was awarded School Research Student Development Fund in 2017; From Jul/2019 to Jan/2020, Dr Yi worked as a research fellow of Warwick Manufacturing Group at University of Warwick.
He has published about 30+ high-quality research papers including IEEE Transactions (10+), Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technology (1), Computer Networks (1). He has also established a stable collaboration with several universities and institutes such as University of Warwick, Loughborough University, Aberystwyth University, NIAB-EMR, CABI, and AVL Powertrain Ltd.
He also served as a Track co-chair for IEEE 96th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2022) and a guest editor of Electronics Journal. In addition, he also serves research community actively as a reviewer for several international journals, such as IEEE-TIE, IEEE-TVT, IEEE-TITS, Transportation Research Part C, and Accident Analysis and Prevention, and top conferences, such as IJCAI, ITS, and ICUAS. He is an Outstanding Reviewer for Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technology;
Director of MSc AI Programme
- AI-enabled Healthcare
- Embedded AI in Healthcare
- Hybrid Intelligent Systems and Robotics
- Applied Machine Learning
- Generalised AI
- Intelligent Vehicles
- Personalised Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS)
- Vision-based Semantic Understanding
- Remote Sensing
- Precision Agriculture
I am currently accepting PhDs in Computing Science.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your research ideas further.
I have seven PhD students working on AI, Computer Vision, and Machine Learning based projects, including brain-inspired machine learning, medical image processing, fairness in machine learning, explainable AI, personalised federated learning, knowledge graph, and natural language generation for driving safety.
Funding and Grants
- PI (Aberdeen), Smartawl 5.0, Fisheries Innovation & Sustainability (FIS), £408K, April 2023 – September 2024.
- Co-PI (CS), Achieving Self-directed Integrated Cancer Aftercare (ASICA) In Melanoma: Developing And Enhancing The Intervention Using Evidence From The Pilot Study And Emergent Technologies, Cancer Research UK (CRUK), £422K .
- Co-PI (CS), The Personalised healthy ageing: AI-based approach to predicting changes in self-perception and the relationship to cognitive decline, UKRI BBSRC, £103K .
- PI (Aberdeen), Smartawl 4.0, Fisheries Innovation & Sustainability (FIS), £157K, October 2021 – March 2022.
- PI, Individual Facial Biological Age Estimate for Healthy Ageing (SF10206-57), Internal Funding to Pump-Prime Interdisciplinary Research and Impact, University of Aberdeen, 6,322.18 GBP, June 2021 - July 2021.
- Co-PI (CS), ASICA USA Pilot, CONVERGE award, $10,000, May 2023 – March 2024.
- Co-PI (CS), A pilot study to assess international potential for ASICA, Knowledge Exchange and Commercialisation (KEC) Award , £8,000.
CS5060: Foundation of Artificial Intelligence
CS5062: Machine Learning
CS502K: Symbolic AI
CS5917: Project in Artificial Intelligence
CS5097: Introduction to Programming (Sep)
CS5097, CS5098: Database Systems and Big Data
CS551T: Project in Artificial Intelligence
CS551M: MEng Project
CS551N: Introduction to Programming (Jan)
CS4594: Single Honours Erasmus Computing Project
CS4525, CS4529: Single Honours Computing Project
CS3028: Principles of Software Engineering
CS3528: Software Engineering and Professional Practice
Page 1 of 4 Results 1 to 10 of 33
LLEDA—Lifelong Self-Supervised Domain AdaptationKnowledge-Based Systems, vol. 279, no. c, 110959Contributions to Journals: Articles
Compound Scaling Encoder-Decoder (CoSED) Network for Diabetic Retinopathy Related Bio-marker DetectionIEEE journal of biomedical and health informaticsContributions to Journals: Articles
A Deep Learning Approach to Self-prioritization ProcessingContributions to Conferences: Papers
Domain-adapted driving scene understanding with uncertainty-aware and diversified generative adversarial networksCAAI Transactions on Intelligence TechnologyContributions to Journals: Articles
Domain-adapted Driving Scene Understanding with Uncertainty-aware and Diversified GANsCAAI Transactions on Intelligence TechnologyContributions to Journals: Articles
MFANet: Mixed Feature Attention Network for Port Lane DetectionContributions to Conferences: Papers
Multi-stage Bias Mitigation for Individual Fairness in Algorithmic DecisionsChapters in Books, Reports and Conference Proceedings: Conference Proceedings
Improving Synthetic to Realistic Semantic Segmentation with Parallel Generative Ensembles for Autonomous Urban DrivingIEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1496-1506Contributions to Journals: Articles
Smartrawl “Eye”: a vision-based technique for fish detection and species identificationMASTS Annual Science Meeting 2022Contributions to Conferences: Abstracts
Fine-grained RNN with Transfer Learning for Energy Consumption Estimation on EVsIEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 8182-8190Contributions to Journals: Articles