I have been active in Initial Teacher Education since 1999, firstly as a Lecturer at Northern College and then in the School of Education at the University of Aberdeen. Prior to this, I was a secondary English teacher with 17 years' experience in Aberdeenshire.
My teaching focuses mainly on Literacy, where I work with both primary and secondary graduates and undergraduates. I am course leader for the PGDE Secondary English, MA4/PGDE Primary and DLITE (Distance Learning in Initial Teacher Education) courses. More recently I have assumed responsibility for supporting Masters and PhD students. I am currently Course-Co-ordinator for the Work-Based project part of the Masters degree and I am also Co-Director of Research with responsibility for external outlook. I supervise a number of both Masters and PhD students.
I completed a PhD in 2016, entitled 'a sociocultural perspective on student teacher belonging as an achievement, in a school placement context'. I have published on student teachers' experiences on school placement and am interested in the implications of taking an ecological stance on practicum. This has involved working to explore the relational connections of Barbara Rogoff's personal, interpersonal and community levels of student teacher development as these work in interplay with the temporal dimensions of Emirbayer and Mische's iterational, practical-evaluative and projective levels of influence on action. The fusion of these theoretical ideas has enabled me to create an original theoretical framework for understanding student teacher learning and development in school placement situations.
Student Teachers' Field Experiences
Student Teachers' development of a 'Sense of Belonging' while on school placement
Workplace learning - specifically looking at beginning teachers' learning experiences in the school as a workplace
Socio-Cultural Theories of learning and development, with particular emphasis on the early development experiences of student teachers while on placement
Secondary School Departments as Communities of Practice
Student Teachers and Belongingness while on school placement - with Yvonne Dewhurst
Tensions in student teachers' experiences of learning on school placement
With Aberdeen City Literacy Group
With Aberdeenshire Literacy Strategy Group
Education MA - ED2555 Learning and Teaching In and Through the Curriculum
Education MA - ED 3004 and ED3005 MA 3 Literacy Tutor
Education MA - ED 4017 and ED4052 The Emerging Professional (Curriculum)
Education Chartered Teacher - MEd Work Based Practice: Course Co-ordinator and Dissertation Supervisor
Education PGDE (P) ED4018 and ED 4511: PGDE Primary Curriculum
Education PGDE (S) ED 4018 and ED 4511 FT English Tutor
Depute Director Postgraduate Studies and PhD Supervisor
- Further Info
Course Leader: Literacy and English Course in Education BEd - ED 4017 and ED4052 The Emerging Professional (Curriculum)
Course Leader: Education PGDE P and S ED4018 and ED4511: Further Professional Studies Tutor: Literacy For All
Co-Leader: Education PGDE (S) FT English
Co-Leader : Belongingness Research Study
Course Co-ordinator: MSc/MEd Work Based Project Dissertation
Deputy Director of Postgraduate Studies
Page 1 of 2 Results 1 to 10 of 13
- Johnston, DH 2016, ''Sitting alone in the staffroom contemplating my future’: communities of practice, legitimate peripheral participation and student teachers’ experiences of problematic school placements as guests', Cambridge Journal of Education, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 533-551. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/0305764X.2015.1069793
- Johnston, DH 2010, ''Losing the joy': student teachers’ experiences of problematic interactions with host teachers on school placement', Teacher Development, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 307-320. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13664530.2010.504012
- Johnston, DH 2009, 'Communities of Practice, Legitimate Peripheral Participation and Student Teachers’ Negative Experiences of School Placement', BERA Annual Conference 2009, Manchester, United Kingdom, 2/09/09 - 5/09/09.
- Johnston, DH 2008, 'Johnston, D (2008) The Novel, communities of practice and apprenticeship. Paper presented at conference, The Novel and its Borders, Aberdeen University, July 10th, 2008.', The Novel and its Borders July 10th, 2008., Aberdeen , United Kingdom, 10/07/08.
- Johnston, DH 2008, 'Johnston, D.H & McAdam, J (2008) Threshold Concepts, Liminality and Beginning Teachers’ Troublesome Knowledge of Literacy Concepts. Paper presented at BERA conference, Heriot Watt, September 2008.', BERA Annual Conference 2008., Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 3/09/08 - 5/09/08.
- Johnston, DH 2008, 'Losing the Joy', Professional Development Today, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 27-31.
- Johnston, DH 2007, ''You’re only the student!’ Issues of power in PGDE student teachers’ interactions with school colleagues while on placement', BERA Annual Conference 2007, United Kingdom, 5/08/07 - 8/08/07.
- McIntosh, KJ, Johnston, DH, Craig, L & Fraser, CA 2007, 'Developing a Literature Review for models of teacher education'.
- Johnston, DH 2006, 'Johnston, D. H. (2006) "You don't know how important staff relationships are until it's a bad situation you're in." PGDE Secondary English students' interactions with host teachers on school placement and the impact of these on learning to become a teacher.'.
- Johnston, DH 2006, 'Johnston, D.H. (2006) Report on Analysis of Bed 1 student teachers’ perceptions of field experience. Paper presented as part of STNE symposium, SERA Conference, Perth, 2006'.