Senior Research Fellow
2016 - 2021 : Royal Society University Research Fellowship in evolutionary microbial ecology, University of Aberdeen
2012 - 2015 : Early-career NERC Fellowship in evolutionary microbial ecology, University of Aberdeen
2009 - 2012 : Post-doctoral researcher in microbial ecology, University of Aberdeen, JI Prosser and GW Nicol group
2005 - 2008 : PhD student in bacterial population genetics, University of Montpellier (France), under the supervision of G Béna and JC Cleyet-Marel
My research is directed toward understanding ecological adaptation of microorganism populations.
My work interest is orientated on microbial diversity and ecological function for microbes playing fundamental processes in the global biogeochemical cycling of nitrogen. I am currently more focused on microorganisms (both archaea and bacteria) implicated in the ammonia oxidation process.
My fundamental aims are to determine the environmental factors controlling their community structure and diversity and to understand their physiological and evolutionary adaptation.
- Long-term evolution of Thaumarchaeota
- Ecology and physiology of archaeal nitrifiers
- Cultivation of Thaumarchaeota
- Metagenomics and single-cell genomics of uncultivated archaea
- Miss Heather RICHMOND (Lab manager / research technician)
- Dr Paul SHERIDAN (postdoctoral researcher): Ecology and evolution of non-ammonia oxidisers (NERC 2018-2021).
- Dr Yiyu (Angus) MENG (Research technician): Genomics of non-ammonia oxidising archaea (NERC 2018-2021).
- Mr William WILLIAMS (PhD student): Unravelling the metabolic versatility and diversity of abundant but unexplored terrestrial Thaumarchaeota (Royal Society 2017-2021).
- Miss Jasmeet BHAMBRA (PhD student): Ecology of acidophilic ammonia oxidisers (University of Aberdeen 2018-2021).
- Mr Daniel WARDAK (MSc student): Soil compaction impact on nitrification (2019).
- Dr Axel AIGLE (NERC postdoctoral researcher). 2016-2018. Functional redundancy in ammonia oxidiser communities.
- Dr Jun ZHAO (NERC postdoctoral researcher). 2017-2018. Ammonia oxidiers in tropical soils.
- Dr Cecile-Elodie THION (postdoctoral researcher). 2014-2015. Functional redundancy in ammonia oxidiser communities.
- Dr Marcus BELLO (PhD student). 2015-2018. co-I. Ecological implications of ammonia affinity for archaeal and bacterial ammonia ecology in soil.
- Dr Lloyd POTTS (PhD student). 2016-2018. co-I. Site-specific DNA- and RNA- based biomarkers to monitor low-level oil pollution and test the effectiveness of bioremediation approaches.
- Dr Linda HINK (PhD student). co-I. 2013-2017. Influence of archaeal and bacterial ammonia oxidisers on nitrous oxide emissions in soils.
- Miss Maria SPULER (PhD student). 2016. Visiting student from Chile. Effect of pre and post-emergent herbicides on N mineralization process in urea fertilized volcanic soils to improve wheat production.
- Dr Eva WEBER (PhD student). 2013-2017. Unravelling the unknown function of an under-explored but abundant archaeal group using single-cell genomics.
- Mr Lewis Cowie (Undergraduate). 2017. Phylogenetic reconstruction of ancestral ammonia oxidation.
- Mr Keir HUGUES (Undergraduate). 2017. Acidophilic Thaumarchaeota in soils.
- Mr Emmanuel Langst (MSc ERASMUS-Germany). 2017. Physiological and genomic characterisation of acidophilic nitrite oxidizer.
- Mr Eduard VICO OTON (MSc student). 2015. Phylogenetic coherence and congruence in Thaumarchaeota.
- Miss Noemie HAUSS (Msc, ERASMUS-France). 2015. Influence of oxygen on ecology of Group 1.1c Thaumarchaeota.
- Mr Michael LUKUMBUZYA (Msc). 2015. Ecological importance of a novel acidophilic nitrite-oxidizing bacterium
- Miss Anja STANJKO (Msc, ERASMUS - Slovenia). 2014. Single-cell sorting of alkalinophilic Thaumarchaeota
- Miss Linda HINK (Msc, ERASMUS - Germany). 2013. Physiology of a novel acidophilic nitrite-oxidizing bacterium
- Miss Urse KRUGER (Msc, ERASMUS -Denmark). 2013. Effect of pH, temperature and organic substrates on Thaumarchaeota
- Miss Eva WEBER (Msc, ERASMUS -Slovenia). 2012. Ammonium sources for archaeal and bacterial ammonia-oxidisers
- Miss Laura SANGUINO (Msc). 2011. Effect of methane on terrestrial ammonia oxidizing Thaumarchaea
- Miss Breda NOVOTNIK (Msc, ERASMUS -Slovenia). 2010. Temperature affects thaumarchaeotal communities
Past research Group (2017)
Awarded as PI
- Royal Society Enhancement Grant (2018-2022): "Experimental evolution of Thaumarchaeota".
- NERC standard grant (2017- 2021): "Evolution of thaumarchaeotal metabolism under contrasting oxygen conditions".
- Royal Society starting grant (2017-2021): "Unravelling the metabolic versatility and diversity of abundant but unexplored terrestrial Thaumarchaeota".
- University of Aberdeen PhD studentship (2017-2021): "Adaptation of Thaumarchaeota in terrestrial environments".
- NERC Directed grant (2017-2018): "Greenhouse gas emissions by soil microbes in tropical forest".
- Royal Society University Research Fellowship (2016-2021): "Adaptation in Thaumarchaeota: the interplay between ecology and evolution".
- NERC Biomolecular Analysis Facility Application (2015): "Single-cell comparative genomics of Thaumarchaeota".
- Early career NERC Independent Fellowship (2012-2016): “Evolutionary adaptation in archaea”.
- PhD studentship (2013-2016) funded by the Centre for Genome-Enabled Biology and Medicine: “Unravelling the unknown function of an under-explored but abundant archaeal group using single-cell genomics”.
- NERC Biomolecular Analysis Facility Application (2013): “Phylogenetic resolution and coherence in thaumarchaea”.
- NERC Biomolecular Analysis Facility Application (2013): “Evolutionary adaptation in archaea- community sequencing”.
- MRT (French Research Ministry) Postgraduate Scholarship (2005-2008)
- European ERASMUS Traineeship Grant (2004)
- ESA (European Space Agency) Traineeship Grant (2003)
Awarded as CoI
- Post-doctoral NERC standard grant (2014-2018): “Soil ammonia oxidisers: an embarrassment of richness?” with JI Prosser (PI) and GW Nicol (CoI).
NERC Directed international grant (2018-2021): "Forecasting biodiversity losses in Wallacea from ecological and evolutionary patterns and processes" with J Travis (PI), L Lancaster (CoI), G Bocedi (CoI), A Algar (CoI) and A Papadopoulos (CoI).
3 PhD students, 1 MSc student.
Lectures at undergraduate level:
- Ocean Biology (BI25Z4)
- Diversity of life (BI2008)
- Further Info
Editorial Board: Microbiome, Environmental microbiome, Frontiers in Microbiology
Commission of trust: Expert member of the French HCERES (High Council for Evaluation of Research and Higher Education) as co-president (2017) and president (2019) of the commission
Grant panel member: Royal Society Hooke Committee, NERC Advanced Training Short Course
Conference organisation: XVIth archaeal workshop (2019); Member of local organising committee for the 20th European Nitrogen Cycle Conference (2016) and 14th Symposium on Bacterial Genetics and Ecology (2017)
Grant review: NSF
External PhD examiner
Referee for several journals, including ISME Journal, Environmental Microbiology, Molecular Biology and Evolution, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, PLOS One, Frontiers in Microbiology, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, Microbial Ecology, Archaea
Membership of professional bodies: SGM (Society of General Microbiology), SMBE (Society of Molecular Biology and Evolution), ISME (International Society of Microbial Ecology), Nitrification network
- Organiser of the School of Biological Sciences weekly scientific seminar series (2017-present)
- Member of the School of Biological Sciences Research committee (2017-present)
- Member of the University of Aberdeen Strategic Plan meeting (2018)
- Internal PhD examiner (2018-present)
- Annual review appraiser (2017-present)
- Mentor for PDRA applying for independent fellowships (2016-present)
List of oral presentations
Invited conference talks
- Role of lateral gene exchange in acidophilic ammonia-oxidising archaea adaptation. Microbiology Society Annual Conference 2018 (Birmingham, UK) April 2018.
- Adaptation of acidophilic ammonia-oxidising archaea: Insights from comparative genomics, metatranscriptomics and proteomics. 2nd Gobal Soil Diversity Conference (Nanjing, China) October 2017.
- Eco-evo in Thaumarchaeota. GRC archaea (Waterville, USA) July 2017.
- Rocky road to targeted single-cell genomics. NextgenBUG (Aberdeen, UK) May 2017.
- Ecological insights from soil single-cell genomics. 3rd Thuenen Soil Metagenomics Symposium (Braunschweig, Germany) Dec 2016.
- Interplay between ecology and evolution on thaumarchaeotal adaptation: from community to single-cell level. Molecular Biology of Archaea 5 (London, UK) Aug 2016.
- Genomics to unravel microbial ecology and evolution. 2nd annual College of Life Sciences and Medicine symposium (Aberdeen, UK) Dec 2015.
- The key role of pH adaptation in terrestrial Thaumarchaeota. 1st Frontiers on Soil Microbiology Conference (Beijing, China) Oct 2015. – Last minute cancellation due to unforeseen conditions.
- Ecology and evolution of terrestrial Thaumarchaeota. 20th European Nitrogen Cycle Conference (Aberdeen, United Kingdom) Sept 2015.
- From ecosystem functioning to single-cell genomic in ammonia-oxidising archaea. Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences Day (Aberdeen, UK) Dec 2012.
Invited department seminars
- Frontiers of microbial adaptation: a multifaceted analysis. (Nottingham, UK) November 2017.
- Ammonia oxidising archaea living in acidic soils. (Beijing, China) October 2017.
- Why analysis of thaumarchaeotal adaptation is trendy?(Aberdeen, UK) Dec 2016.
- Understanding the ecological function of non-abundant soil microorganisms using targeted single-cell genomics and cultivation.(Uppsala, Sweden) Nov 2016.
Selected oral presentations
- Single-cell genomics-driven isolation of a non-ammonia oxidising Thaumarchaeon from soil. 14th Bacterial Genetics and Ecology Conference (Aberdeen, UK) June 2017.
- Reconstructing the role of pH adaptation in thaumarchaeal evolution. 15th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology (Seoul, South Korea) August 2014.
- Coupling of diversification and pH adaptation during the evolution of terrestrial Thaumarchaeota. Modern Phylogenetic Comparative Methods (Sevilla, Spain) November 2014.
- The role of selection in terrestrial thaumarchaeal evolution and adaptation to pH. Workshop on Linking microbial ecology and evolution (Berlin,Germany) June 2013.
- Ecological and evolutionary adaptation of terrestrial thaumarchaea. GT archaea 2013 (Brest, France) June 2013.
- How have terrestrial thaumarchaea really evolved? 12th Bacterial Genetics and Ecology Conference (Ljubljana, Slovenia) June 2013.
- From ecosystem functioning to single-cell genomic in ammonia-oxidising archaea. Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences Day (Aberdeen, UK) December 2012.
- Importance of pH for terrestrial ammonia-oxidizing archaea. GT archaea 2012 (Paris, France) December 2011.
- Adaptation and ecological significance of terrestrial ammonia oxidising archaea in soils. Integrative Ecological Genomics meeting (Roscoff, France) October 2011.
- Niche specialization of terrestrial thaumarchaea. 2nd International Conference on Nitrification (Nijmegen, The Netherlands) July 2011.
- Ecological significance and niche specialization of terrestrial thaumarchaea. Biological Interactions in Soil (Aberdeen, UK) March 2011.
- Activity and ecological distribution of ammonia-oxidizing archaea in acidic soils. Ecology Research Day (Aberdeen, UK) March 2010.
- Phylogeography, population dynamic and speciation of Sinorhizobium meliloti and Sinorhizobium medicae. 12th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology (Cairns, Australia) August 2008.
- How does Medicago truncatula influence the population pattern of its favourite symbiotic bacteria, Sinorhizobium spp.? 2nd International Symposium on Rhizosphere (Montpellier, France) August 2007.
- Experimental evolution of symbiotic bacteria under plant-host pressure. Francophone Association on Microbial Ecology (La Grande-Motte, France) October 2007.
- YouTube video about the establishment of a single-cell technological platform in the University of Aberdeen (https://youtu.be/U7ThQurkE1c) (2015)
- TechFest (North-East Scotland Festival of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) workshop: “insides of a microbe”(September 2016)
- Primary School event (Ferryhill School, Aberdeen): Diversity of microbes through DNA and cultivation (June 2018)
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 29
- Prosser, JI, Hink, L, Gubry-Rangin, C & Nicol, GW 2020, 'Nitrous oxide production by ammonia oxidisers: Physiological diversity, niche differentiation and potential mitigation strategies', Global Change Biology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 103-118. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.14877
- Biggs-Weber, E, Aigle, A, Prosser, JI & Gubry-Rangin, C 2020, 'Oxygen preference of deeply-rooted mesophilic thaumarchaeota in forest soil', Soil Biology and Biochemistry. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2020.107848
- Zhao, J, Bello, MO, Meng, Y, Prosser, JI & Gubry-Rangin, C 2020, 'Selective inhibition of ammonia oxidising archaea by simvastatin stimulates growth of ammonia oxidising bacteria', Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 141, 107673. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2019.107673
- Potts, LD, Perez Calderon, LJ, Gubry-Rangin, C, Witte, U & Anderson, JA 2019, 'Characterisation of microbial communities of drill cuttings piles from offshore oil and gas installations', Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 142, pp. 169-177. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2019.03.014
- Bello, MO, Thion, C, Gubry-Rangin, C & Prosser, JI 2019, 'Differential sensitivity of ammonia oxidising archaea and bacteria to matric and osmotic potential', Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 129, pp. 184-190. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2018.11.017
- Nicol, GW, Hink, L, Gubry-Rangin, C, Prosser, JI & Lehtovirta-Morley, LE 2019, 'Genome Sequence of “Candidatus Nitrosocosmicus franklandus” C13, a Terrestrial Ammonia-Oxidizing Archaeon', Microbiology Resource Announcements, vol. 8, no. 40, e00435-19. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1128/MRA.00435-19
- Aigle, A, Prosser, JI & Gubry-Rangin, C 2019, 'The application of high-throughput sequencing technology to analysis of amoA phylogeny and environmental niche specialisation of terrestrial bacterial ammonia-oxidisers', Environmental Microbiome, vol. 14, 3. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40793-019-0342-6
- Gubry-Rangin, C, Williams, W & Prosser, JI 2018, 'Approaches to understanding the ecology and evolution of understudied terrestrial archaeal ammonia-oxidisers', Emerging Topics in Life Sciences , vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 619-328. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1042/ETLS20180018
- Perez Calderon, LJ, Potts, LD, Gontikaki, E, Gubry-Rangin, C, Cornulier, T, Gallego, A, Anderson, JA & Witte, UF 2018, 'Bacterial Community Response in Deep Faroe-Shetland Channel Sediments Following Hydrocarbon Entrainment With and Without Dispersant Addition', Frontiers in Marine Science: Deep-Sea Environments and Ecology, vol. 5, 159, pp. 1-17. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2018.00159
- Potts, LD, Calderon, LJP, Gontikaki, E, Keith, L, Gubry-Rangin, C, Anderson, JA & Witte, U 2018, 'Effect of spatial origin and hydrocarbon composition on bacterial consortia community structure and hydrocarbon biodegradation rates', FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. fiy127-fiy127. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/femsec/fiy127