- The University of Aberdeen Meston 141
BSc University of Sheffield 1981
Postgraduate Research Assistant, University of Aberdeen 1981-87
PhD Aberdeen 1988
Post-doctoral Research Assistant, University of Sheffield, 1987-88
Post-doctoral Research Assistant Leeds, University of Leeds, 1988-90
Post-doctoral Research Assistant Leeds, University of Liverpool, 1990-91
Post-doctoral Research Fellow, University of Leeds, 1991-95
Lectuter, University of Leeds, 1995-2000
Senior Researcher, Institute for Crustal Studies, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2000-2004
Reader, University of Aberdeen, 2004-2006
Professor, University of Aberdeen, 2006-present (Emeritus since January 2019_
My research has spanned a range of fields in geology, from tectonics and high-grade metamorphic rocks in the 1980s (Ashcroft et al., 1984, Nature, 310, 760-762) to modern seafloor processes today (Zhang et al., 2018, Geology, doi.org/10.1130/G45178.1), but has mainly focussed on deepwater depositional systems.
Key publications include:
Kneller, B., Nasr-Azadani, M.M. & Meiburg, E. 2016. Long-range sediment transport in the world’s oceans by stably stratified turbidity currents. Journal of Geophysical Research, 121, 8608–8620. doi:10.1002/2016JC011978
Kneller, B., Dykstra, M., Fairweather, L. and Milana, J-P., 2016, Mass-transport and slope accommodation: implications for turbidite sandstone reservoirs. AAPG Bulletin,100, 213–235.
Kneller, B.C., Milana, J.P., Buckee, C.M, & al Ja’aidi, O.S., 2004. Depositional Record of Deglaciation in a Paleofjord (Late Carboniferous of San Juan Province, Argentina); the Role of Catastrophic Sedimentation. Bulletin of the Geological Society of America, 116, 348-367.
Kneller, B.C., 2003. The influence of flow parameters on turbidite slope channel architecture. Marine & Petroleum Geology, 20, 901-910.
Kneller, B.C. & Buckee, C.M., 2000. The structure and fluid mechanics of turbidity currents; a review of some recent studies and their geological implications. Sedimentology,47, (Supplement 1), 62-94.
Kneller, B.C., Bennett, S.J., & McCaffrey, W.D., 1999. Velocity structure, turbulence and fluid stresses in experimental gravity currents. Journal of Geophysical Research, Oceans. 104, C3, 5281-5291.
Kneller, B.C., 1995. Beyond the turbidite paradigm: physical models for deposition of turbidites and their implications for reservoir prediction. InHartley A.J. & Prosser D.J.Characterisation of Deep Marine Clastic SystemsGeological Society of London Special Publication No 94, 31-49.
Kneller, B.C., 1991. A foreland basin on the southern margin of Iapetus. Journal of the Geological Society, London, 148, 207-210.
Current research is mainly in four areas:
1. Typhoon-triggered turbidity currents, and the Holocene record of gravity current activity in the Gaoping Canyon, offshore Taiwan (in collaboration with Tongji University);
2. Architecture of deepwater systems in the Cretaceous fore-arc basin of Tibet, mainly the Albian-Coniacian Ngamring Formation (in collaboration with Nanjing University);
3. Interaction of gravity currents with topography - a laboratory study (in collaboration with Zhejiang University);
4. Origin of carbonate megabeds within dominantly siliciclastic deepwater systems (in collaboration with Universidad Nacional de San Juan).
In addition to the collaborations above, I am a Visiting Professor at China University of Geosciences, Wuhan.
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 28
- Valdez Buso, V, Aquino, CD, Paim, PSG, Gomes Paim, PS, Mori, AL, Fallgatter, C, Milana, JP & Kneller, B 2019, 'Late Palaeozoic glacial cycles and subcycles in western Gondwana: Correlation of surface and subsurface data of the Paraná Basin, Brazil', Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, vol. 531, no. Part B, 108435. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2017.09.004
- Li, P, Kneller, BC, Thompson, P, Bozetti, G & Dos Santos, T 2018, 'Architectural and facies organization of slope channel fills: Upper Cretaceous Rosario Formation, Baja California, Mexico', Marine and Petroleum Geology, vol. 92, pp. 632-649. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2017.11.026
- Sobiesiak, MS, Valdez Buso, V, Kneller, BC, Alsop, GI & Milana, JP 2018, Block generation, deformation and interaction of mass transport deposits with the seafloor: An outcrop-based study of the Carboniferous at Cerro Bola, NW Argentina. in Special Publications. Special Publications, American Geophysical Union.
- Maselli, V & Kneller, B 2018, 'Bottom currents, submarine mass failures and halokinesis at the toe of the Sigsbee Escarpment (Gulf of Mexico): Contrasting regimes during lowstand and highstand conditions?', Marine Geology, vol. 401, pp. 36-65. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2018.04.001
- Bozetti, G, Cronin, BT, Kneller, BC & Jones, AM 2018, Deep-Water conglomeratic megabeds: analogues for event beds of the Brae Formation of the South Viking Graben, North Sea. in CC Turner & BT Cronin (eds), Rift-related coarse-grained submarine fan reservoirs: the Brae Play, South Viking Graben, North Sea. AAPG Memoirs, no. 115, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, pp. 114-118.
- Zhang, Y, Liu, Z, Zhao, Y, Colin, C, Zhang, X, Wang, M, Zhao, S & Kneller, BC 2018, 'Long-term in situ observations on typhoon-triggered turbidity currents in the deep sea', Geology, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 675-678. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1130/G45178.1
- Nasr-Azadani, MM, Meiburg, E & Kneller, BC 2018, 'Mixing dynamics of turbidity currents interacting with complex seafloor topography', Environmental Fluid Mechanics, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 201 -223. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10652-016-9477-9
- Liu, Q, Kneller, B, Fallgatter, C & Valdez Buso, V 2018, 'Quantitative comparisons of depositional architectures of unconfined and confined turbidite sheet systems', Sedimentary Geology, vol. 376, pp. 72-89. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sedgeo.2018.08.005
- Sobiesiak, MS, Kneller, BC, Alsop, GI & Milana, JP 2018, 'Styles of basal interaction beneath mass transport deposits', Marine and Petroleum Geology, vol. 98, pp. 629-639. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2018.08.028
- Liu, Q, Kneller, BC, Fallgatter, C, Valdez Buso, V & Milana, JP 2018, 'Tabularity of individual turbidite beds controlled by flow efficiency and degree of confinement', Sedimentology, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 2368-2387. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12470