Chair in Geology & Petroleum Geology
- All aspects of clastic sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy. A particular interest is the application of geomorphology to the rock record in continental environments.
- Evolution of the Central Andes: using stratigraphic, sedimentological and structural data to reconstruct the timing and cause of climate change and uplift in the Central Andes.
- Stratigraphic development of clastic sedimentary successions in Large Igneous Provinces.
- Application of all aspects of clastic sedimentology in the exploration for, and the exploitation of, hydrocarbon reservoirs.
Fluvial System Research Group. A Joint Industry Project currently funded by BG, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Total. The project links with Albuquerque and Royal Holloway and aims to develop a predictive model of distributive fluvial systems (DFS) and associated environments based on remote sensing imagery and outcrop studies. Research is focussed on outcrop based studies in various parts of the world and involves building 3D models of different aspects of distributive fluvial systems, "ground-truthed" using datasets derived from remotely sensed imagery and modern day systems.
StratLIP a multidisciplinary approach to understanding the sedimentological and volcanic evolution of LIP's.
Gary Weissmann & Louis Scuderi, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
Gary Nichols, Nautilus
Anne Mather, University of Plymouth
Level 1 GL1005 Earth Through Geological Time
Level 3 GL3025 Stratigraphy
Level 3 GL3026 Helmsdale/Skye Fieldtrip Course Coordinator
Level 4 GL4023 Mapping Project
Level 4 GL4522 Birth, Growth and Death of Supercontinents
Level 5 Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy. Leader of Utah Fieldtrip, Sicily fieldtrip.
- Further Info
Director of Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc
Director of Teaching and Learning, School of Geosciences
Page 1 of 6 Results 1 to 25 of 126
- McKellar, Z, Hartley, AJ, Morton, A & Frei, D 2020, 'A Multidisciplinary Approach to Sediment Provenance Analysis of the Late Silurian-Devonian Lower Old Red Sandstone succession, Northern Midland Valley Basin, Scotland', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 177, pp. 297-314. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2019-063
- Bertolini, G, Marques, JC, Hartley, AJ, Da‐Rosa, AAS, Scherer, CMS, Basei, MAS & Frantz, JC 2020, 'Controls on Early Cretaceous desert sediment provenance in south‐west Gondwana, Botucatu Formation (Brazil and Uruguay)', Sedimentology. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12715
- Butler, RWH, Pinter, PR, Maniscalco, R & Hartley, AJ 2020, 'Deep-water sand-fairway mapping as a tool for tectonic restoration: decoding Miocene central Mediterranean palaeogeography using the Numidian turbidites of southern Italy', Journal of the Geological Society . [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2020-008
- Quirie, AK, Schofield, N, Jolley, DW, Archer, SG, Hole, MJ, Hartley, A, Watson, D, Burgess, R, Pugsley, JH, Underhill, JR & Holford, SP 2020, 'Palaeogeographic evolution of the Rattray Volcanic Province, Central North Sea', Journal of the Geological Society . [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2019-182
- Burgess, R, Jolley, D & Hartley, A 2020, 'Stratigraphic palynology of the Middle–Late Triassic successions of the Central North Sea', Petroleum Geoscience. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/petgeo2019-128
- Gray, E, Hartley, A & Howell, J 2020, 'The influence of stratigraphy and facies distribution on reservoir quality and production performance in the Triassic Skagerrak Formation of the UK and Norwegian Central North Sea', Geological Society Special Publications , vol. 494. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/SP494-2019-68
- Evenstar, LA, Mather, AE & Hartley, AJ 2020, 'Using spatial patterns of fluvial incision to constrain continental-scale uplift in the Andes', Global and Planetary Change, vol. 186, 103119. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloplacha.2020.103119
- Owen, A, Hartley, AJ, Ebinghaus, A, Weissmann, GS & Santos, MGM 2019, 'Basin-scale predictive models of alluvial architecture: Constraints from the Palaeocene–Eocene, Bighorn Basin, Wyoming, USA', Sedimentology, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 736-763. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12515
- Hardman, J, Schofield, N, Jolley, D, Hartley, A, Holford, S & Watson, D 2019, 'Controls on the Distribution of Volcanism and Intra-Basaltic Sediments in the Cambo-Rosebank Region, West of Shetland', Petroleum Geoscience, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 71-89. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/petgeo2017-061
- Hartley, A, Kurjanski, B, Pugsley, JH & Armstrong, JG 2019, 'Ice-Rafting in Lakes in the early Neoproterozoic: Dropstones in the Diabaig Formation, Torridon Group, NW Scotland', Scottish Journal of Geology. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/sjg2019-017
- Santos, MGM, Hartley, AJ, Mountney, NP, Peakall, J, Owen, A, Merino, ER & Assine, ML 2019, 'Meandering rivers in modern desert basins: implications for channel planform controls and prevegetation rivers', Sedimentary Geology, vol. 385, pp. 1-14. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sedgeo.2019.03.011
- Quirie, AK, Schofield, N, Hartley, A, Hole, MJ, Archer, SG, Underhill, JR, Watson, D & Holford, SP 2019, 'The Rattray Volcanics: Middle Jurassic fissure volcanism in the UK Central North Sea', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 176, pp. 462-481. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2018-151
- Corbett, PWM, Owen, A, Hartley, A, Pla-Pueyo, S, Barreto, D, Hackney, C & Kape, S 2019, 'The geoengineering approach to the study of rivers and reservoirs', Geological Society Special Publications , vol. 488, pp. 1-13. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/SP488-2018-98
- Schofield, N, Jolley, D, Holford, S, Archer, S, Watson, D, Hartley, A, Howell, J, Muirhead, D, Underhill, J & Green, P 2018, Challenges of future exploration within the UK Rockall Basin. in M Bowman & B Levell (eds), Petroleum Geology of NW Europe: 50 Years of Learning : Proceedings of the 8th Petroleum Geology Conference. vol. 8, Petroleum Geology Conference series, vol. 8, Geological Society of London, Bath, pp. 211-229, 8th Petroleum Geology Conference, London, United Kingdom, 28/09/15. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/PGC8.37
- Hartley, A & Evenstar, L 2018, 'Fluvial architecture in actively deforming salt basins: Chinle Formation, Paradox Basin, Utah', Basin Research, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 148-166. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/bre.12247
- Hartley, AJ, Owen, A, Weissmann, GS & Scuderi, LA 2018, Modern and ancient amalgamated sandy meander‐belt deposits: recognition and controls on development. in M Ghinassi, L Colombera, NP Mountney , AJH Reesink & M Bateman (eds), Fluvial Meanders and Their Sedimentary Products in the Rock Record. Special Publication- International Association of Sedimentologists, International Association of Sedimentologists, pp. 349-384. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119424437.ch14
- Hardman, JPA, Schofield, N, Jolley, DW, Holford, SP, Hartley, AJ, Morse, S, Underhill, J, Watson, DA & Zimmer, EH 2018, 'Prolonged dynamic support from the Icelandic plume of the NE Atlantic margin', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 175, no. 3, pp. 396-410. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2017-088
- Andrews, SD, Cornwell, DG, Trewin, NH, Hartley, AJ & Archer, SG 2018, 'Reply to the discussion on 'A 2.3 Million Year Lacustrine Record of Orbital Forcing from the Devonian of Northern Scotland', Journal of the Geological Society, London 173, 474-488', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 175, no. 3, pp. 563. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2017-132
- Pinter, PR, Butler, RWH, Hartley, AJ, Maniscalco, R, Baldassini, N & Di Stefano, A 2018, 'Tracking sand-fairways through a deformed turbidite system: the Numidian (Miocene) of Central Sicily, Italy', Basin Research, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 480-501. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/bre.12261
- Scuderi, LA, Weissmann, GS, Hartley, AJ, Yang, X & Lancaster, N 2017, 'Application of Database Approaches to the Study of Earth's Aeolian Environments: Community Needs and Goals', Aeolian Research, vol. 27, pp. 79-109. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aeolia.2017.05.004
- Hartley, AJ, Weissmann, GS & Scuderi, L 2017, 'Controls on the apex location of large deltas', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 174, pp. 10-13. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2015-154
- Evenstar, LA, Mather, AE, Hartley, AJ, Stuart, FM, Sparks, RSJ & Cooper, FJ 2017, 'Geomorphology on geologic timescales: Evolution of the late Cenozoic Pacific paleosurface in Northern Chile and Southern Peru ', Earth Science Reviews, vol. 171, pp. 1-27. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2017.04.004
- Owen, A, Ebinghaus, A, Hartley, AJ, Santos, MGM & Weissmann, G 2017, 'Multi-scale classification of fluvial architecture: an example from the Palaeocene-Eocene Bighorn Basin, Wyoming', Sedimentology, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 1572-1596. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12364
- Owen, A, Nichols, GJ, Hartley, AJ & Weissmann, GS 2017, 'Vertical trends within the prograding Salt Wash distributive fluvial system, SW USA', Basin Research, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 64-80. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/bre.12165
- Andrews, SD, Cornwell, DG, Trewin, NH, Hartley, AJ & Archer, SG 2016, 'A 2.3 million year lacustrine record of orbital forcing from the Devonian of northern Scotland', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 173, no. 3, pp. 474-488. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2015-128