Chair in Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- All aspects of clastic sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy. A particular interest is the application of geomorphology to the rock record in continental environments.
- Evolution of the Central Andes: using stratigraphic, sedimentological and structural data to reconstruct the timing and cause of climate change and uplift in the Central Andes.
- Stratigraphic development of clastic sedimentary successions in Large Igneous Provinces.
- Application of all aspects of clastic sedimentology in the exploration for, and the exploitation of, hydrocarbon reservoirs.
Triassic JIP Phase 2 & 3. A joint indstry project funded by BP, JX Nippon, Total, CNOOC & Neptune Energy looking at the provenance, sedimentology and biostratigraphy of the Triaasic succession in the Central North Sea. The aim is to better predict reservoir distribution and quality in these improtant reservoir units.
Fluvial System Research Group. A Joint Industry Project currently funded by BG, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Total. The project links with Albuquerque and Royal Holloway and aims to develop a predictive model of distributive fluvial systems (DFS) and associated environments based on remote sensing imagery and outcrop studies. Research is focussed on outcrop based studies in various parts of the world and involves building 3D models of different aspects of distributive fluvial systems, "ground-truthed" using datasets derived from remotely sensed imagery and modern day systems.
Gary Weissmann & Louis Scuderi, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
Amanda Owen, University of Glasgow
Anne Mather, University of Plymouth
Laura Evenstar, University of Brighton
Level 3 GL3525 Torridon/Gairloch Fieldtrip Course Coordinator
Level 4 GL4023 Mapping Project
Level 5 Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc sedimentology, Utah Fieldtrip, Pyrenees fieldtrip.
- Further Info
Director of Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc
Page 1 of 13 Results 1 to 10 of 127
- McKellar, Z, Hartley, AJ, Morton, A & Frei, D 2020, 'A Multidisciplinary Approach to Sediment Provenance Analysis of the Late Silurian-Devonian Lower Old Red Sandstone succession, Northern Midland Valley Basin, Scotland', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 177, pp. 297-314. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2019-063
- Mckellar, Z & Hartley, AJ 2020, 'Caledonian foreland basin sedimentation: A new depositional model for the Upper Silurian-Lower Devonian Lower Old Red Sandstone of the Midland Valley Basin, Scotland', Basin Research. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/bre.12494
- Bertolini, G, Marques, JC, Hartley, AJ, Da‐Rosa, AAS, Scherer, CMS, Basei, MAS & Frantz, JC 2020, 'Controls on Early Cretaceous desert sediment provenance in south‐west Gondwana, Botucatu Formation (Brazil and Uruguay)', Sedimentology, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 2672-2690. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12715
- Butler, RWH, Pinter, PR, Maniscalco, R & Hartley, AJ 2020, 'Deep-water sand-fairway mapping as a tool for tectonic restoration: decoding Miocene central Mediterranean palaeogeography using the Numidian turbidites of southern Italy', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 177, no. 4, pp. 766-783. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2020-008
- Hartley, A, Kurjanski, B, Pugsley, JH & Armstrong, JG 2020, 'Ice-Rafting in Lakes in the early Neoproterozoic: dropstones in the Diabaig Formation, Torridon Group, NW Scotland', Scottish Journal of Geology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 47-53. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/sjg2019-017
- Quirie, AK, Schofield, N, Jolley, DW, Archer, SG, Hole, MJ, Hartley, A, Watson, D, Burgess, R, Pugsley, JH, Underhill, JR & Holford, SP 2020, 'Palaeogeographical evolution of the Rattray Volcanic Province, Central North Sea', Journal of the Geological Society , vol. 177, no. 4, pp. 718-737. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2019-182
- Burgess, R, Jolley, D & Hartley, A 2020, 'Stratigraphic palynology of the Middle–Late Triassic successions of the Central North Sea', Petroleum Geoscience. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/petgeo2019-128
- Gray, E, Hartley, A & Howell, J 2020, 'The influence of stratigraphy and facies distribution on reservoir quality and production performance in the Triassic Skagerrak Formation of the UK and Norwegian Central North Sea', Geological Society Special Publications , vol. 494. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/SP494-2019-68
- Evenstar, LA, Mather, AE & Hartley, AJ 2020, 'Using spatial patterns of fluvial incision to constrain continental-scale uplift in the Andes', Global and Planetary Change, vol. 186, 103119. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloplacha.2020.103119
- Owen, A, Hartley, AJ, Ebinghaus, A, Weissmann, GS & Santos, MGM 2019, 'Basin-scale predictive models of alluvial architecture: Constraints from the Palaeocene–Eocene, Bighorn Basin, Wyoming, USA', Sedimentology, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 736-763. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12515