Chair in Geology & Petroleum Geology
- All aspects of clastic sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy. A particular interest is the application of geomorphology to the rock record in continental environments.
- Evolution of the Central Andes: using stratigraphic, sedimentological and structural data to reconstruct the timing and cause of climate change and uplift in the Central Andes.
- Stratigraphic development of clastic sedimentary successions in Large Igneous Provinces.
- Application of all aspects of clastic sedimentology in the exploration for, and the exploitation of, hydrocarbon reservoirs.
Fluvial System Research Group. A Joint Industry Project currently funded by BG, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Total. The project links with Albuquerque and Royal Holloway and aims to develop a predictive model of distributive fluvial systems (DFS) and associated environments based on remote sensing imagery and outcrop studies. Research is focussed on outcrop based studies in various parts of the world and involves building 3D models of different aspects of distributive fluvial systems, "ground-truthed" using datasets derived from remotely sensed imagery and modern day systems.
StratLIP a multidisciplinary approach to understanding the sedimentological and volcanic evolution of LIP's.
Gary Weissmann & Louis Scuderi, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
Gary Nichols, Nautilus
Anne Mather, University of Plymouth
Level 1 GL1005 Earth Through Geological Time
Level 3 GL3025 Stratigraphy
Level 3 GL3026 Helmsdale/Skye Fieldtrip Course Coordinator
Level 4 GL4023 Mapping Project
Level 4 GL4522 Birth, Growth and Death of Supercontinents
Level 5 Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy. Leader of Utah Fieldtrip, Sicily fieldtrip.
- Further Info
Director of Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc
Director of Teaching and Learning, School of Geosciences
Page 5 of 13 Results 41 to 50 of 126
- Evenstar, LA, Stuart, FM, Hartley, AJ & Tattitch, B 2015, 'Slow Cenozoic uplift of the western Andean Cordillera indicated by cosmogenic 3He in alluvial boulders from the Pacific Planation Surface', Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 42, no. 20, pp. 8448-8455. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/2015GL065959
- Owen, A, Jupp, PE, Nichols, GJ, Hartley, AJ, Weissmann, GS & Sadykova, D 2015, 'Statistical estimation of the position of an apex: Application to the geological record', Journal of Sedimentary Research, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 142-152. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2110/jsr.2015.16
- McKie, T, Rose, PTS, Hartley, AJ, Jones, DW & Armstrong, TL 2015, Tertiary deep-marine reservoirs of the North Sea region: An introduction. in T McKie, PTS Rose, AJ Hartley, DW Jones & TL Armstrong (eds), Tertiary Deep-Marine Reservoirs of the North Sea Region. 1 edn, vol. 403, Special Publications, Geological Society of London, London, pp. 1-16. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/SP403.12
- Andrews, SD & Hartley, AJ 2015, 'The response of lake margin sedimentary systems to climatically driven lake level fluctuations: Middle Devonian, Orcadian Basin, Scotland', Sedimentology, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 62. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12200
- Davidson, SK & Hartley, AJ 2014, 'A quantitative approach to linking drainage basin area and distributive fluvial system area in modern and ancient endorheic basins', Journal of Sedimentary Research, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 1005-1020. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2110/jsr.2014.79
- Addy, S, Soulsby, C & Hartley, AJ 2014, 'Controls on the distribution of channel reach morphology in selectively glaciated catchments', Geomorphology, vol. 211, pp. 121-133. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2013.12.035
- Ebinghaus, A, Hartley, AJ, Jolley, DW, Hole, MJ & Millett, J 2014, 'Lava–Sediment Interaction and Drainage-System Development In A Large Igneous Province: Columbia River Flood Basalt Province, Washington State, U.S.A', Journal of Sedimentary Research, vol. 84, no. 11, 84, pp. 1041-1063. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2110/jsr.2014.85
- Holzweber, BI, Hartley, AJ & Weissmann, GS 2014, 'Scale invariance in fluvial barforms: implications for interpretation of fluvial systems in the rock record', Petroleum Geoscience, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 211-223. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/petgeo2011-056
- Mather, AE, Hartley, AJ & Griffiths, JS 2014, 'The giant coastal landslides of Northern Chile: Tectonic and climate interactions on a classic convergent plate margin', Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 388, pp. 249-256. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2013.10.019
- Ebinghaus, A, Hartley, AJ & Jolley, DW 2014, 'Volcanic forcing from two sides: Drainage and plant ecosystem development in the Columbia River Flood Basalt Province, Washington State', BSRG AGM 2014, Nottingham, United Kingdom, 21/12/14 - 22/12/14.