Chair in Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- All aspects of clastic sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy. A particular interest is the application of geomorphology to the rock record in continental environments.
- Evolution of the Central Andes: using stratigraphic, sedimentological and structural data to reconstruct the timing and cause of climate change and uplift in the Central Andes.
- Stratigraphic development of clastic sedimentary successions in Large Igneous Provinces.
- Application of all aspects of clastic sedimentology in the exploration for, and the exploitation of, hydrocarbon reservoirs.
Triassic JIP Phase 2 & 3. A joint indstry project funded by BP, JX Nippon, Total, CNOOC & Neptune Energy looking at the provenance, sedimentology and biostratigraphy of the Triaasic succession in the Central North Sea. The aim is to better predict reservoir distribution and quality in these improtant reservoir units.
Fluvial System Research Group. A Joint Industry Project currently funded by BG, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Total. The project links with Albuquerque and Royal Holloway and aims to develop a predictive model of distributive fluvial systems (DFS) and associated environments based on remote sensing imagery and outcrop studies. Research is focussed on outcrop based studies in various parts of the world and involves building 3D models of different aspects of distributive fluvial systems, "ground-truthed" using datasets derived from remotely sensed imagery and modern day systems.
Gary Weissmann & Louis Scuderi, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
Amanda Owen, University of Glasgow
Anne Mather, University of Plymouth
Laura Evenstar, University of Brighton
Level 3 GL3525 Torridon/Gairloch Fieldtrip Course Coordinator
Level 4 GL4023 Mapping Project
Level 5 Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc sedimentology, Utah Fieldtrip, Pyrenees fieldtrip.
- Further Info
Director of Integrated Petroleum Geoscience MSc
Page 5 of 13 Results 41 to 50 of 127
- Thomas, R & Hartley, AJ 2015, Seismic geomorphology and sequence stratigraphy as tools for the prediction of reservoir facies distribution: An example from the Paleocene and earliest Eocene of the South Buchan Graben, Outer Moray Firth Basin, UKCS. in Geological Society Special Publication. 1 edn, vol. 403, Geological Society Special Publication, no. 1, vol. 403, Geological Society of London, pp. 99-132. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/SP403.8
- Evenstar, LA, Stuart, FM, Hartley, AJ & Tattitch, B 2015, 'Slow Cenozoic uplift of the western Andean Cordillera indicated by cosmogenic 3He in alluvial boulders from the Pacific Planation Surface', Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 42, no. 20, pp. 8448-8455. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/2015GL065959
- Owen, A, Jupp, PE, Nichols, GJ, Hartley, AJ, Weissmann, GS & Sadykova, D 2015, 'Statistical estimation of the position of an apex: Application to the geological record', Journal of Sedimentary Research, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 142-152. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2110/jsr.2015.16
- McKie, T, Rose, PTS, Hartley, AJ, Jones, DW & Armstrong, TL 2015, Tertiary deep-marine reservoirs of the North Sea region: An introduction. in T McKie, PTS Rose, AJ Hartley, DW Jones & TL Armstrong (eds), Tertiary Deep-Marine Reservoirs of the North Sea Region. 1 edn, vol. 403, Special Publications, Geological Society of London, London, pp. 1-16. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/SP403.12
- Andrews, SD & Hartley, AJ 2015, 'The response of lake margin sedimentary systems to climatically driven lake level fluctuations: Middle Devonian, Orcadian Basin, Scotland', Sedimentology, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 62. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/sed.12200
- Davidson, SK & Hartley, AJ 2014, 'A quantitative approach to linking drainage basin area and distributive fluvial system area in modern and ancient endorheic basins', Journal of Sedimentary Research, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 1005-1020. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2110/jsr.2014.79
- Addy, S, Soulsby, C & Hartley, AJ 2014, 'Controls on the distribution of channel reach morphology in selectively glaciated catchments', Geomorphology, vol. 211, pp. 121-133. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2013.12.035
- Ebinghaus, A, Hartley, AJ, Jolley, DW, Hole, MJ & Millett, J 2014, 'Lava–Sediment Interaction and Drainage-System Development In A Large Igneous Province: Columbia River Flood Basalt Province, Washington State, U.S.A', Journal of Sedimentary Research, vol. 84, no. 11, 84, pp. 1041-1063. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2110/jsr.2014.85
- Holzweber, BI, Hartley, AJ & Weissmann, GS 2014, 'Scale invariance in fluvial barforms: implications for interpretation of fluvial systems in the rock record', Petroleum Geoscience, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 211-223. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1144/petgeo2011-056
- Mather, AE, Hartley, AJ & Griffiths, JS 2014, 'The giant coastal landslides of Northern Chile: Tectonic and climate interactions on a classic convergent plate margin', Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 388, pp. 249-256. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2013.10.019