Chair of Chemistry
My main interests are in Materials Chemistry, Surface Chemistry and Catalysis. The theme of the research is the understanding and application of materials and surface chemistry at the molecular level. This involves the synthesis of new materials, the characterization of these, and the development of applications in areas such as adsorption, heterogeneous catalysis, and host:guest chemistry. Examples of materials studied are microporous zeolites and zeolite analogues, oxide and other novel photocatalyst materials.
Strong emphasis is placed on spectroscopic techniques for the molecular characterization of solids and surfaces. These techniques have included FTIR spectroscopy and microscopy, Raman spectroscopy and microscopy, ESR spectroscopy, solid state NMR spectroscopy, and X-ray absorption spectroscopy. X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy are used routinely for structural characterization, and surface analysis by techniques such as X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and electron microprobe analysis plays an important role.
- Investigation of novel mixed-oxide photocatalyst materials with EPR spectroscopy ( a research collaboration with Professors Abbie McLaughlin and Angel Cuesta).
- Synchrotron infrared microspectroscopy of reactions in single crystals of zeotype materials (a research collaboration with the group of Professor Paul Wright at the University of St Andrews).
- Investigation of catalytic processes in zeolites using neutron spectroscopy (a research collaboration with the group of Professor David Lennon at the University of Glasgow).
- Two-dimensional infrared spectroscopy of zeolites using femtosecond laser techniques (a research collaboration with Dr Paul Donaldson at the Central Laser Facility, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory).
- Understanding and improving zeolite catalysts for the carbonylation of methanol (a research collaboration with the group of Professor Xinbin Ma at Tianjin University, China).
- Understanding and improving the catalytic regeneration of NADH, the key energy carrier in enzymatic biocatalysis (a research collaboration with Dr Xiaodong Wang at Lancaster University).
- No current teaching duties
Page 1 of 4 Results 1 to 50 of 182
- Howe, R, Hawkins, A, Zachariou, A, Parker, SF, Collier, P, Barrow, N, Silverwood, IP & Lennon, D 2020, 'Effect of steam de-alumination on the interactions of propene with H-ZSM-5 zeolites', RSC Advances, vol. 10, no. 39, pp. 23136-23147. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/D0RA03871G
- Minova, IB, Matam, SK, Greenaway, A, Catlow, CRA, Frogley, MD, Cinque, G, Wright, PA & Howe, RF 2020, 'Effects of crystal size on methanol to hydrocarbon conversion over single crystals of ZSM-5 studied by synchrotron infrared microspectroscopy', Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 22, no. 34, pp. 18849-18859. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/d0cp00704h
- Zachariou, A, Hawkins, A, Parker, SF, Lennon, D & Howe, RF 2020, 'Neutron spectroscopy studies of methanol to hydrocarbons catalysis over ZSM-5', Catalysis Today. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2020.05.030
- Hawkins, AP, Zachariou, A, Parker, SF, Collier, P, Silverwood, IP, Howe, RF & Lennon, D 2020, 'Onset of Propene Oligomerization Reactivity in ZSM-5 Studied by Inelastic Neutron Scattering Spectroscopy', ACS Omega, vol. 5, no. 14, pp. 7762-7770. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.9b03503
- Li, Y, Yu, M, Cai, K, Wang, M, Lv, J, Howe, RF, Huang, S & Ma, X 2020, 'Template-induced Al distribution in MOR and enhanced activity in dimethyl ether carbonylation', Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 22, no. 20, pp. 11374-11381. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/d0cp00850h
- Zachariou, A, Hawkins, AP, Collier, P, Howe, RF, Lennon, D & Parker, SF 2020, 'The Methyl Torsion in Unsaturated Compounds', ACS Omega, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 2755-2765. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.9b03351
- Minova, IB, Matam, SK, Greenaway, A, Catlow, CRA, Frogley, MD, Cinque, G, Wright, PA & Howe, RF 2019, 'Elementary Steps in the Formation of Hydrocarbons from Surface Methoxy Groups in HZSM-5 seen by Synchrotron Infrared Microspectroscopy', ACS Catalysis, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 6564-6570. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.9b01820
- Krisnandi, YK, Nurani, DA, Agnes, A, Pertiwi, R, Antra, NF, Anggraeni, AR, Azaria, AP & Howe, RF 2019, 'Hierarchical MnOx/ZSM-5 as heterogeneous catalysts in conversion of delignified rice husk to levulinic acid', Indonesian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 115-123. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.22146/ijc.28332
- Zachariou, A, Hawkins, A, Lennon, D, Parker, SF, Suwardiyanto, Matam, SK, Catlow, CRA, Collier, P, Hameed, A, McGregor, J & Howe, RF 2019, 'Investigation of ZSM-5 catalysts for dimethylether conversion using inelastic neutron scattering', Applied Catalysis A: General, vol. 569, pp. 1-7. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcata.2018.10.010
- Hawkins, AP, O'Malley, AJ, Zachariou, A, Collier, P, Ewings, RA, Silverwood, IP, Howe, RF, Parker, SF & Lennon, D 2019, 'Investigation of the Dynamics of 1-Octene Adsorption at 293 K in a ZSM-5 Catalyst by Inelastic and Quasielastic Neutron Scattering', Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 417-425. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.8b08420
- Hawkins, AP, Zachariou, A, Collier, P, Ewings, RA, Howe, RF, Parker, SF & Lennon, D 2019, 'Low-temperature studies of propene oligomerization in ZSM-5 by inelastic neutron scattering spectroscopy', RSC Advances, vol. 9, no. 33, pp. 18785-18790. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c9ra03568k
- Howe, RF, Suwardiyanto, Price, DJ, Castro, M, Wright, PA, Greenaway, A, Frogley, MD & Cinque, G 2018, 'Reactions of Dimethylether in Single Crystals of the Silicoaluminophosphate STA-7 Studied via Operando Synchrotron Infrared Microspectroscopy', Topics in Catalysis, vol. 61, no. 3-4, pp. 1-14. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11244-018-0890-9
- Matam, SK, Howe, RF, Thetford, A & Catlow, CRA 2018, 'Room temperature methoxylation in zeolite H-ZSM-5: an operando DRIFTS/mass spectrometric study', Chemical Communications, vol. 54, no. 91, pp. 12875-12878. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c8cc07444e
- Matam, SK, O'Malley, AJ, Catlow, CRA, Suwardiyanto, Collier, P, Hawkins, AP, Zachariou, A, Lennon, D, Silverwood, IP, Parker, SF & Howe, RF 2018, 'The effects of MTG catalysis on methanol mobility in ZSM-5', Catalysis Science & Technology, vol. 8, no. 13, pp. 3304-3312. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/C8CY00422F
- Suwardiyanto, , Howe, RF, Gibson, EK, Catlow, CRA, Hameed, A, McGregor, J, Collier, P, Parker, SF & Lennon, D 2017, 'An assessment of hydrocarbon species in the methanol-to-hydrocarbon reaction over a ZSM-5 catalyst', Faraday Discussions, vol. 197, pp. 447-471. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/c6fd00195e
- Wang, X, Saba, T, Yiu, HHP, Howe, R, Anderson, J & Shi, J 2017, 'Cofactor NAD(P)H regeneration inspired by heterogeneous pathways', Chem, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 621-654. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chempr.2017.04.009
- Caux, M, Fina, F, Irvine, JTS, Idriss, H & Howe, R 2017, 'Impact of the annealing temperature on Pt/g-C3N4 structure, activity and selectivity between photodegradation and water splitting', Catalysis Today, vol. 287, pp. 182-188. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2016.11.007
- Howe, RF, McGregor, J, Parker, SF, Collier, P & Lennon, D 2016, 'Application of Inelastic Neutron Scattering to the Methanol-to-Gasoline Reaction Over a ZSM-5 Catalyst', Catalysis Letters, vol. 146, no. 7, pp. 1242-1248. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10562-016-1742-5
- Krisnandi, YK, Samodro, BA, Sihombing, R & Howe, RF 2015, 'Direct synthesis of methanol by partial oxidation of methane with oxygen over cobalt modified mesoporous H-ZSM-5 catalyst', Indonesian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 263-268. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.14499/ijc-v15i3p263-268
- Rhydderch, S & Howe, RF 2015, 'In-situ EPR Studies of Reaction Pathways in Titania Photocatalyst-Promoted Alkylation of Alkenes', Molecules, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 4055-4070. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules20034055
- Howe, RF 2015, Spectroscopic Methods for Investigating Reaction Pathways. in DW Bahnemann & PKJ Robertson (eds), Environmental Photochemistry: Part III. Handbook of Environmental Chemistry, vol. 35, Springer Verlag, pp. 267-300. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/698_2014_255
- Greenaway, A, Gonzalez-Santiago, B, Donaldson, PM, Frogley, MD, Cinque, G, Sotelo, J, Moggach, S, Shiko, E, Brandani, S, Howe, RF & Wright, PA 2014, 'In situ Synchrotron IR Microspectroscopy of CO2 Adsorption on Single Crystals of the Functionalized MOF Sc-2(BDC-NH2)(3)', Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 53, no. 49, pp. 13483-13487. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201408369
- Eschenroeder, ECV, Turrina, A, Picone, AL, Cinque, G, Frogley, MD, Cox, PA, Howe, RF & Wright, PA 2014, 'Monitoring the Activation of Copper-Containing Zeotype Catalysts Prepared by Direct Synthesis Using in Situ Synchrotron Infrared Microcrystal Spectroscopy and Complementary Techniques', Chemistry of Materials, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 1434-1441. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/cm403534b
- Perret, N, Alexander, A-M, Hunter, SM, Chung, P, Hargreaves, JSJ, Howe, RF & Keane, MA 2014, 'Synthesis, characterisation and hydrogenation performance of ternary nitride catalysts', Applied Catalysis A: General, vol. 488, pp. 128-137. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcata.2014.09.026
- Folli, A, Bloh, JZ, Beukes, E-P, Howe, RF & Macphee, DE 2013, 'Photogenerated Charge Carriers and Paramagnetic Species in (W,N)-Codoped TiO2 Photocatalysts under Visible-Light Irradiation: An EPR Study', The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 117, no. 42, pp. 22149-22155. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/jp408181r
- MacDonald, IR, Dixon, S, Holt, E, Grant, N, Storey, JMD & Howe, RF 2012, 'EPR studies of electron and hole trapping in titania photocatalysts', Catalysis Today, vol. 182, no. 1, pp. 39-45. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2011.08.039
- Jordana, R, Howe, RF & Guan, H 2012, Retention and release of scale inhibitor in clay minerals. in Society of Petroleum Engineers - SPE International Conference and Exhibition on Oilfield Scale 2012., SPE-156019-MS, Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), SPE International Conference and Exhibition on Oilfield Scale 2012, Aberdeen, United Kingdom, 30/05/12. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2118/156019-MS
- Manley, D, McBurney, R, Miller, P, Howe, RF, Rhydderch, S & Walton, J 2012, 'Unconventional titania photocatalysis: direct deployment of carboxylic acids in alkylations and annulations', Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 134, no. 33, pp. 13580-13583. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/ja306168h
- Lozinska, M, Mangano, E, Mowat, J, Shepherd, AM, Howe, RF, Thompson, S, Parker, J, Brandani, S & Wright, P 2012, 'Understanding carbon dioxide adsorption on univalent cation forms of the flexible zeolite Rho at conditions relevant to carbon capture from flue gases', Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 134, no. 42, pp. 17628-17642. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/ja3070864
- Howe, R, Macdonald, R, Dixon, S & Holt, E 2011, 'EPR studies of hole and electron trapping in titania photocatalysts', ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts.
- Murdoch, M, Waterhouse, GIN, Nadeem, MA, Metson, JB, Keane, MA, Howe, RF, Llorca, J & Idriss, H 2011, 'The effect of gold loading and particle size on photocatalytic hydrogen production from ethanol over Au/TiO2 nanoparticles', Nature Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 489-492. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/NCHEM.1048
- Katsibiri, O & Howe, RF 2010, 'Characterisation of the transparent surface coatings on post-Byzantine icons using microscopic, mass spectrometric and spectroscopic techniques', Microchemical Journal, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 14-23. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2009.08.004
- Macdonald, IR, Howe, RF, Zhang, X & Zhou, W 2010, 'In situ EPR studies of electron trapping in a nanocrystalline rutile', Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology. A, Chemistry, vol. 216, no. 2-3, pp. 238-243. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotochem.2010.07.023
- Macdonald, IR & Howe, RF 2010, In-situ EPR Studies of Hole and Electron Trapping in Oxide Photocatalysts. in Solar Hydrogen and Nanotechnology V. vol. 7770, Proceedings of SPIE, SPIE. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1117/12.859836
- Katsibiri, O & Howe, RF 2010, 'Microscopic, mass spectrometric and spectroscopic characterisation of the mordants used for gilding on wall paintings from three post-Byzantine monasteries in Thessalia, Greece', Microchemical Journal, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 83-89. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2009.09.006
- Murdoch, M, Waterhouse, GWN, Nadeem, MA, Keane, M, Howe, RF, Llorca, J & Idriss, H 2010, 'Photocatalytic hydrogen production from ethanol over Au/TiO2 anatase and rutile nanoparticles: Effect of Au particle size', ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts.
- Macdonald, IR, Howe, RF, Saremi-Yarahmadi, S & Wijayantha, KGU 2010, 'Photoinduced Superparamagnetism in Nanostructured a-Fe203', The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol. 1, no. 16, pp. 2488-2492. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/jz100650w
- Saxton, CG, Kruth, A, Castro, M, Wright, PA & Howe, RF 2010, 'Xenon adsorption in synthetic chabazite zeolites', Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 129, no. 1-2, pp. 68-73. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2009.08.034
- Yeates, RM, Murdoch, MJ, Southon, PD, McLaughlin, A, Howe, RF, Bonino, F, Bordiga, S & Damin, A 2009, 'AM-6: a microporous one-dimensional ferromagnet', Dalton Transactions, no. 38, pp. 8025-8032. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/b908099f
- Hargreaves, JSJ, Howe, RF, McKay, D, Morrison, E, Rico, JL & Stockenhuber, M 2009, 'Nitridation of MoO3/HZSM-5 and Fe-MoO3/HZSM-5', Topics in Catalysis, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 1559-1565. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11244-009-9288-z
- Howe, RF 2008, Catalytic Dehalogenation. in G Ertl, H Knözinger, F Schüth & J Weitkamp (eds), Handbook of Heterogenous Catalysis. Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, pp. 2385-2393. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/9783527610044.hetcat0122
- Han, H, Paddon-Row, M & Howe, RF 2008, 'Charge Separation in Mesoporous Aluminosilicates', Research on Chemical Intermediates, vol. 34, no. 5-7, pp. 551-564. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1163/156856708784795699
- Howe, RF, Robertson, PKJ & Mills, A 2008, 'Preface to the Special Issue on Selected Papers from the Second International Conference on Semiconductor Photochemistry SP-2', International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2008, no. Special Issue, 258561. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2008/258561
- Ji, Z, Murdoch, M, Callahan, DM, Warzywoda, J, Howe, RF & Sacco, A 2008, Probing the "Quality" of intrinsic semiconducting-O-Ti-O-Ti- chains in titanosilicate ETS-10. in AIChE100 - 2008 AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings. 2008 AIChE Annual Meeting, AIChE 100, Philadelphia, PA, United States, 16/11/08.
- Anderson, JA & Howe, RF 2007, Adsorption of Probe Molecules on Nanostructured Oxides. in JA Rodriguez & M Fernandez-Garcia (eds), Synthesis, Properties and Applications of Oxide Nanomaterials. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Hoboken, NJ, pp. 311-334. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470108970.ch11
- Murdoch, M, Yeates, R & Howe, RF 2007, 'Photoreactivity of TSP: A novel microporous titanosilicate', Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 101, no. 1-2, pp. 184-190. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2006.10.029
- Grant, N, Storey, JMD & Howe, RF 2007, 'Semiconductor Oxide Photocatalysis for Organic Synthesis', Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis, vol. 172, pp. 445-448.
- Krisnandi, YK, Lachowski, EE & Howe, RF 2006, 'Effects of ion exchange on the structure of ETS-10', Chemistry of Materials, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 928-933. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/cm051785g
- Krisnandi, YK & Howe, RF 2006, 'Effects of ion-exchange on the photoreactivity of ETS-10', Applied Catalysis A: General, vol. 307, pp. 62-69. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcata.2006.03.008
- Howe, RF, Mackay, D & Hargreaves, JSJ 2006, 'XPS Evidence for Molybdenum Nitride Formation in ZSM-5', Catalysis Letters, vol. 112, pp. 109-113. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10562-006-0172-1