- Rigorous and comprehensive programme.
- Small class sizes, about 25 at third- and fourth-year.
- We invest a lot of effort to provide you with the necessary foundations of higher mathematics in the first year.
- We offer a wide range of courses from the very beginning. You can take six maths courses in the first year!
- In the honours years you will have most of your lectures and tutorials in a dedicated classroom in the Institute of Mathematics.
- Our doors are always open and we are happy to discuss mathematics any time.
- The University offers a great variety of optional courses and flexible degree arrangements.
There are arts (MA) and science (BSc) degrees in maths. The mathematical content of both types is the same. The difference is in the choice of additional subjects which should be respectively arts or science... read more.
|If you have further queries about our programme please contact the Head of Department:||Links:|
This table shows the maths courses available in the academic year 2016/2017. The course code is linked to the course description and the title to the Wikipedia article about the subject.
|First Half Session||Second Half Session|
|catalogue Wikipedia||catalogue Wikipedia|
|Year 1||MA1005 Calculus I||MA1508 Calculus II|
|MA1006 Algebra||MA1511 Set Theory|
|MA1008 Geometry||MA1510 Combinatorics|
|ST1510 Understanding Data (Statistics)|
|Year 2||MA2009 Analysis I||MA2509 Analysis II|
|MA2008 Linear Algebra I||MA2508 Linear Algebra II|
|MA2010 Probability||MA2507 Advanced Calculus|
|Year 3||MX3021 Analysis III||MX3021 Analysis IV|
|MX3020 Group Theory||MX3531 Rings and Fields|
|MX3032 Metric Spaces||MX35XX Differential Equations|
|MX40XX Financial Mathematics||MX4540 Knots|
|Year 4||MX4082 Galois Theory||MX4545 Number Theory|
|MX4083 Measure Theory||MX45XX Advanced Set Theory|
|MX40XX Financial Mathematics||MX45XX Knots|
|MX4023 Project||MX4553 Mathematical Modelling|
|MX4085 Nonlinear Dynamics I|