Computing Staff Contacts
The Computing website lists the staff contact list.
- Level 1 tutor: Dr. Chenghau Lin
- Level 2 tutor: Prof. Kees Van Deemter
- Level 3 tutor: Dr. Adam Wyner
- Level 4 tutor: Dr. Chenghua Lin
- Tutor for Erasmus/Socrates: Dr. Bruce Scharlau
- Co-ordinator for Industrial Placements: Dr. Martin Kollingbaum
- Director of Undergraduate: Dr. Frank Guerin
- Head of Discipline: Dr. Wamberto Vasconcelos
Information you should know
Please familiarise yourself with the student handbook, and also the forms required for reporting your own absence from tutorials or lab classes and also when you are unable to attend an exam. You can find this material at the following link (the handbooks will be updated every year). Note that these self certification forms have to be submitted within ONE WEEK of the exam (or lab/tutorial class) in question for it to be considered.
The student hand book contains information relating to a number of important topics, including a description of what personal tutors are for;
- student support services;
- the structure of your (and other Computing) degree;
- institutional policies;
- progression issues (i.e. how to ensure you move from year 1 to year 2 of your degree programme and so on);
- information on examinations and other forms of assessment for the various courses you will take throughout your degree;
- the process for self certification, and medical or good cause applications; plus
- information on each of the Masters or Bachelor degree programmes in Computing including how you can change your own programme of study.
Degree Programme Guides
Information on common problems and answers to many student questions can be found in the InfoHub (ground floor of the Students' Union Building). Their online resources are available at http://www.abdn.ac.uk/infohub/
Additional support services are available through the University support framework.
The resources available in the above guide link include counselling, finance, accommodation, academic skills and careers. Please spend a moment browsing the array of help that is available to you, these services are there to help you and are run by knowledgeable and caring professionals!!!
Of particular relevance is:
- Student support (support with all types of student problems) - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/student-support/
- Student learning service (support with developing academic skills) - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/sls/
- Counselling - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/counselling/
These are all confidential services provided to help you, see the links for contact details.
The Student Learning Service
The Student Learning Service provides help to students to develop their study and learning skills.
There are free Academic Skills Workshops, which includes workshops on note-taking, essay structure, time management as well as a number of maths topics. To see the full programme and book a place, go to: www.abdn.ac.uk/sls/workshops.
You can also book an appointment with an Academic Skills Adviser for a Study Advice Session on Academic Skills, Academic Writing or Maths. Further information, and to book an appointment visit: www.abdn.ac.uk/sls/study-advice/.
Aberdeen University Students' Association
The Aberdeen University Students' Association is a key part of student life here in Aberdeen. The link below provides a gateway to the many activities, projects, clubs and societies that AUSA are involved with: http://www.ausa.org.uk/