Student Hub Product Roadmap
This document is accurate as of 30th October 2018, however future roadmap items are subject to change, dependent on the organisational requirements and availability of resources.
Product Vision & Strategy
Student Hub will be the defacto platform for students to interact digitally with the University of Aberdeen. Accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop devices, the system will empower students to manage their own experience at the University.
Student Hub will enable students to access self-service features (such as status certificates and bank letters) as well as empower access to book support meetings and raise enquiries in the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
Students will use Student Hub to manage their communications, choosing which information to receive and enabling richer segmentation of student cohorts. The platform supports intelligent and targetted communications, ensuring students receive the right information at the right time. Augmented by the latest mobile technologies, Student Hub will reduce the amount of email communication and support instant alerts through push notifications.
Positioned alongside MyAberdeen, where students access their study & course materials, Student Hub supports the rest of the student experience - the routine administration and social aspects of their time at University.
An agile approach to development is taken, with functionality being developed using fortnightly development sprints. Each item of functionality is associated with a major release name, which is aligned with a quater of the year. These quarters are defined as:
- 1Q between January - March
- 2Q between April - June
- 3Q between July - September
- 4Q between October - December
The roadmap is constantly evolving based on staff and student feedback captured through a roadmap review group, as well as within the system. In order to support flexibility in delivery and efficiency of time, detailed plans are only maintained for the current and next releases, with higher-level concepts of functionality maintained for future releases.
In keeping with the agile approach, all new functionality is expressed in the format As a <user>, I can <some action>, so that <some reason>. The details of these user stories for each release is held in the project management system, Jira, which is restricted to members of Digital & Information Services. Please contact the Project Team for more information.
Release 1.0: Albatross
The first release of the system provided the basic portal functionality including visibility of the Personal Tutor, View & Edit Personal Details, View Study History and the personalised messaging stream (akin to the Facebook wall).
- [APRT-137] - Miscellaneous Ordering Enhancements
- [APRT-102] - Naming Adjustment _loadTimetableData()
- [APRT-108] - Contact tutor
- [APRT-111] - Login Screen & CSRF Cookie Timeout
- [APRT-116] - Message stream links open in the same page
- [APRT-122] - As a system, the upload photo box should not save photo unless Save button is clicked
- [APRT-145] - RSS Ingestion exception handling is incorrect
- [APRT-147] - Consistency in date formats
- [APRT-148] - The tutees API has poorly performing SQL
- [APRT-154] - For the secondary authentication, you do not need to use the same login account as the one you are logged in as
- [APRT-156] - Users can upload very small photos. We should have a sensible minimum size for uploading photos
- [APRT-4] - As a student, I can upload a photo of myself, so that this can be used on my ID card.
- [APRT-6] - As a student, I can crop my photo, so that only the relevant parts of the image are used on my ID card.
- [APRT-7] - As a student, I can reorientated my photo, so that it is aligned the correct way up.
- [APRT-8] - As a student, I can log in using my University username & password, so that I do not need any additional account information.
- [APRT-9] - As a student, I must pass a secondary authorisation check to access sensitive information, so that my information remains secure.
- [APRT-11] - As a student, I can see messages in an activity stream, so that I am informed of important events.
- [APRT-12] - As a student, I can hide a single message from my activity stream, so that I can curate my content.
- [APRT-13] - As a student, I can unsubscribe from messages in my activity stream, so that I do not see messages which are of no interest.
- [APRT-14] - As a system administrator, I can enforce subscription to certain messages, so that students cannot unsubscribe from key alerts.
- [APRT-15] - As a student, I can save a message in my activity stream, so that it is pinned to my view.
- [APRT-16] - As a student, I can see my current degree programme, so that I know what I am registered for,
- [APRT-18] - As a student, I can see my current course status, so that I know how I am doing.
- [APRT-19] - As a student, I can see my teaching timetable for today, so that I know where I need to attend.
- [APRT-20] - As a student, I can see a map of where to go for locations on my timetable, so that I know where to go.
- [APRT-21] - As a student, I can quickly see my timetable for tomorrow, so that I don't have to launch MyTimetable
- [APRT-23] - As a student, I can see a list of all courses for the current year, so that I know what I am registered for.
- [APRT-24] - As a student, I can click a link to access my course area in MyAberdeen, so that I can easily access my services.
- [APRT-27] - As a student, I can see the course description for a course, so that I know what I will be studying.
- [APRT-30] - As a student, I can access information about the course team, so I know who to contact if I have a problem.
- [APRT-31] - As a student, I can see who my Personal Tutor is, so that I know who to contact.
- [APRT-33] - As a student, I can see a picture of my personal tutor, so that I can recognise them.
- [APRT-34] - As a student, I can contact my personal tutor, so that I can ask questions.
- [APRT-35] - As a student, I can see my address information, so that I can check it is up-to-date.
- [APRT-36] - As a student, I can see the mobile telephone number, so that I can keep it up-to-date.
- [APRT-37] - As a student, I can update my personal details, so that I can keep them up-to-date.
- [APRT-38] - As a student, I can see my emergency contact details, so that I can keep them up-to-date.
- [APRT-39] - As a student, I can see my details such as ID number, card issue and email address.
- [APRT-40] - As a student, I can request a new ID card, so that I don't have to read through all the documentation to find out how to do it.
- [APRT-48] - As a student, I can see my programme enrolment history, so that I can see my academic career.
- [APRT-49] - As a student, I can produce a degree transcript, so that I have a record of my studies.
- [APRT-50] - As a student, I can access MyCurriculum, so that I can make course & programme changes.
- [APRT-51] - As a student, I can see guidelines about programme changes, so that I am informed.
- [APRT-52] - As a student, I can see a list of all my courses, so that I can see what I have studied.
- [APRT-53] - As a student, I can see my grades for all my courses, so that I can see how I have performed.
- [APRT-54] - As a student, I can see a description of my status on a course, so that I don't have to interpret C codes.
- [APRT-56] - As a student, I can see a list of my entry qualifications, so that I can check the university has an accurate record.
- [APRT-58] - As a student, I can access my email, so that I do not need to find the link.
- [APRT-59] - As a student, I can access MyTimetable, so that I do not need to find a link.
- [APRT-61] - As a personal tutor, I can login to the system using my university credentials, so that I do not need an additional account.
- [APRT-62] - As a personal tutor, I can see my list of tutees, so that I know who my students are.
- [APRT-63] - As a personal tutor, I can see the current status of my students, so I can address any issues.
- [APRT-66] - As a course coordinator, I can login using my University credentials, so that I do not need an additional account.
- [APRT-89] - As a student, I can report an internal bug, so that I don't have to log a servicedesk call
- [APRT-90] - As a student, I can access help for the site.
- [APRT-94] - As a developer, I can use a base CI3 & PHPUnit installation.
- [APRT-95] - As a developer, I can use the REST library with CI3.
- [APRT-96] - As a developer, I can use the Grunt build tool to build asssets.
- [APRT-97] - As a developer, I can access Bootstrap for styling using the SASS version.
- [APRT-98] - As a developer, I can access a basic page template with stock header and footer.
- [APRT-99] - As a student, I can chat with my personal tutor using Skype for Business
- [APRT-103] - As a student, I can see the School my Personal Tutor belongs to.
- [APRT-104] - As a student, I can access my Personal Tutor's staff page profile, so that I can see more about them.
- [APRT-105] - As a user, I can see any alerts in a prominent position so that I do not miss them
- [APRT-106] - Update branding to use new logo & reflect colour scheme changes.
- [APRT-110] - As a student, I can see my list of courses in reverse Academic Year order.
- [APRT-117] - As a student, I can see my list of courses grouped by sub-session.
- [APRT-118] - As a system, I can read RSS feeds and add the contents to the stream.
- [APRT-119] - As a student, I can see the email address of my personal tutor.
- [APRT-121] - As a student, I can see a dummy image if there is no image uploaded on page.
- [APRT-124] - As a student, I can apply to graduate.
- [APRT-126] - As a student, I can see more information about what to do when I have low attendance, a C6 or C7.
- [APRT-127] - As a student, I can see more information about what a personal tutor can offer me.
- [APRT-128] - As a student, I can see contact information for other support services e.g. counselling service etc.
- [APRT-133] - As a student, I can see a friendlier greeting.
- [APRT-135] - As a student, I can see clear information about data capture and privacy - make very open & honest.
- [APRT-150] - As a student, I can indicate if I am an unpaid family carer so that the University's HESA returns are accurate
- [APRT-151] - As a student, I can access additional support materials and resources so that I can take advantage of the most suitable support service for my needs provided by the University
- [APRT-155] - As a student, I can cancel login when I'm on the second login page, so that I can navigate away if I want to
- [APRT-158] - As a student, I can download a partially completed graduation form, so that I can apply to graduate.
- [APRT-159] - As a student, I can see how to change my password, so that my password can be easily changed.
- [APRT-161] - As a system. I can properly import and provision accounts, so that users can access the system.
- [APRT-162] - As a student, I can update my previous education institution information, so that the University has this information.
- [APRT-163] - As a student, I can view my previous education institution information, so that I can check the information for accuracy.
- [APRT-165] - As a system, I can access standardised web API’s, so that I can get appointment and tutor details.
- [APRT-166] - As a student, I can click a menu link to the list of available personal tutor appointments, so that I can access the page.
- [APRT-168] - As a student, I can view a range of available personal tutor appointments so that I can decide which appointment suits me the best.
- [APRT-169] - As a student, I can see unavailable appointments as well as available appointments, so that I can see when I have lost out on an appointment
- [APRT-170] - As a student, I can select an appointment from a range of available personal tutor appointments, so that I am booked to attend at that time
- [APRT-172] - As a student, if I select an appointment but that appointment is unavailable, I am shown an appropriate message, so that I can select an alternative option
- [APRT-185] - As a developer, I can use feature flags, so that I can control when new services are released.
Release 1.1: Arctic Tern
Additional functionality to allow students to book appointments with their Personal Tutor. This functionality is to support the Personal Tutor CRM project.
- [APRT-191] - Update the Attendance descriptor
- [APRT-153] - As a system, I can display grades from SRS so that students can see their grades for their courses
- [APRT-175] - As a student, once I have made my selection, I can return to the page and change my appointment, so that I can make changes to suit my schedule
- [APRT-176] - As a student, I can cancel a chosen personal tutor appointment, so that the appointment is freed up for other students to choose.
- [APRT-181] - As a student, I cannot access the appointments picking screen if I am in my first year of study, so that the appointment I received in the post cannot be changed.
- [APRT-182] - As a student, I can see real appointments, so I can review my choices
- [APRT-188] - As a student, I can select real appointments, so that I am booked in to the appointment in CRM.
Release 1.2: Akekee
Various bug fixes based on student experiences & feedback. This includes enabling access for associate students, enhancing the display of degree classifications, and resolution of issues with the Previous Education data collection.
- [APRT-197] - Course Grades and low attendance.
- [APRT-198] - Poor attendance
- [APRT-199] - Errors in Personal Academic Record
- [APRT-200] - Confusing and infuriating
- [APRT-202] - Previous Education Institution field
- [APRT-205] - my student id number doesnt seem to work
- [APRT-206] - fixed my problem
- [APRT-207] - Experiencing a bug
- [APRT-210] - Trying to change my address
- [APRT-211] - Having a problem with editing my personal details
- [APRT-229] - Associate Students Cannot Login to Student Hub
Release 2.0: Budgerigar
Two new dedicated members of staff are being recruited on a three-year fixed-term basis to enable the delivery of major functionality. This process is on-going and market conditions have made this challenging, as a result there is currently limited progress on the development of Student Hub.
Due to limited development availability, this release contains bug fixes and minor enhancements including: enhancements to the display of grades; an application menu (to aid discovery of useful institutional services); social media links; enhancements to Help & Support Services (including Clued Up); General Data Protection Regulations data capture; and Absence Reporting.
Release 3.0: Chaffinch
This release is primarily focussed around major improvements to the eRegistration process - streamlining it, bringing in Photo Upload and introducing a wizard-style approach which guides students through the various stages of registration. User interface mockups for this work are available as a PDF.
This release also includes some basic personalisation depending on what kind of student the user is (e.g. undergraduate, postgraduate, Aberdeen-based, Qatar-based, Online etc.) and self-service functionality for producing letters for bank accounts and student status certificates.
Release 4.0: Dove
This release provides financial functionality including integration to ePayments, financial history and print top-ups. Some additional functionality to support Personal Tutor appointment booking is also scheduled for inclusion (subject to that project delivering).
Release 5.0: Egret
This release focuses on resources including FAQs (to integrate with the CRM) as well as integrations to library services. This release will also explore the Single Sign On capabilities.
Release 6.0: Fieldfare
This release focuses on induction and a global events calendar.
Release 7.0: Goldfinch
This release will explore Staff Hub capabilities and additional customisations for other student groups e.g. Research Postgraduates.