ME33MM Mindfulness and Medicine
Face to Face on campus attendance required for practical mindfulness sessions
This course is an introduction to the concept and practice of mindfulness for medical students, involving the critical analysis of the subject and the underpinning neuroscience of mindfulness.
Mindfulness is included in the NICE guidelines as an NHS treatment for mild to moderate recurring depression. Furthermore, there is a large body of research indicating the physiological, psychological and neurological benefits of practice mindfulness. The study and practice of mindfulness is, therefore, of relevance to medical students hence why this course is offered as a Medical Humanities option. The course involves training in mindfulness practices
- To facilitate the development of knowledge about, and understanding of, the concept of mindfulness
- To facilitate the critical analysis of the concept of mindfulness
- To facilitate an understanding of the neurobiological impact of mindfulness.
- To offer training in mindfulness practice
- To develop critical reading and writing skills
- To develop skills for analytical reasoning, debating, communicating and presenting.
Course Coordinator: Dr Kim Miller email@example.com