Aberdeen students given accommodation boost
Hard-pressed students looking to find quality accommodation in Aberdeen have been given a boost as UNITE, the UK’s largest manager of branded student accommodation, is delighted to announce today the completion and official opening of New Carnegie Court. The £28M state of the art student accommodation development will provide a home to some 520 students from the University of Aberdeen.
New Carnegie Court, located on the University's Hillhead Campus, comprises a four-storey quadrangle development with high quality en-suite bedrooms configured in five bed cluster flats, each of which shares a full kitchen and living room area. The scheme benefited from utilising market leading off site manufacturing technology, with complete bedrooms being constructed at UNITE's own factory, and then transported to site for assembly.
Alan Russell, Regional Business Director at UNITE commented, "With the popularity of Aberdeen as a place to study there is a tremendous shortage of quality accommodation. New Carnegie Court not only provides a stepped increase in the number of rooms available in the city, but also raises the bar in terms of affordability, quality, and safety. We are delighted to have worked closely with the University of Aberdeen in assisting them to deliver their accommodation requirements."
He continues: "It's been fantastic to have such a positive relationship with the University and we are delighted to be working with them as we begin to welcome this year's new intake of students. We hope with the completion of New Carnegie Court along with our other 1,300 high quality bedrooms within the city, we are helping to meet the demands of the growing student population in Aberdeen"
New Carnegie Court is Phase 1 of the University's comprehensive redevelopment of it's Hillhead campus, and occupies the 2.3 acre site of the former Carnegie Hall.
Leith Forsyth, Director Campus Services, University of Aberdeen said: "The University of Aberdeen has a strong commitment to raising the quality of accommodation available to our students to a standard which competes with that which is offered at any other UK higher education institute. The completion of New Carnegie Court is a key part of our long-term strategy to enhance the range of accommodation options offered by the University, and is a welcome addition to the portfolio of accommodation available on our Hillhead Campus. This project will be further complemented by various rebuilds and refurbishment projects which are ongoing at the Hillhead site to upgrade the existing accommodation facilities."
UNITE offers a wide range of accommodation packages to suit all budgets and personal requirements for students attending any of Aberdeen's universities, covering single studio apartments for students wishing to live on their own, to larger properties accommodating between five or six students. In addition, all UNITE's properties come with an on-site management team providing 24/7 support service and common room facilities in many cases include Sky TV and pool tables.
THE UNITE GROUP PLC:
- is a member of the FTSE 250 and the UK's largest manager of branded student accommodation
- is focussed on a growing and economically resilient sector, and currently has approximately 30% market share of the commercial student accommodation market
- currently provides accommodation to some 38,000 students in over 129 properties across the UK, including most of the major university cities
- has a total portfolio, including its development pipeline worth c.£2.9 billion
- has a strategic aim of doubling the net rent from the student portfolio between 2007 – 2011
- provides regular research on the UK student and student accommodation market, based on its in depth understanding of the markets in which it operates
- is a founding member of the ANUK Code of Standards for Larger Developments, underlining its longstanding commitment to high standards of accommodation, service and security
- has a comprehensive sustainability programme incorporating their construction and its every day operations. UNITE Group hope to encourage the formation of responsible attitudes in those who will one day lead and inspire others as graduates and young professionals
UNITE In Aberdeen:
- UNITE has four properties in Aberdeen offering some 1,300 beds to students. New Carnegie Court will be UNITE's fifth property within the city.
- King Street Exchange has 178 beds, Mealmarket Exchange has 360 beds, Old Fire Station has 273 beds, and Spring Gardens has 490 beds.
- In Scotland alone, UNITE operates some 14 properties in Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Notes to Editors
Issued by the Communications Team, Office of External Affairs, University of Aberdeen, King's College, Aberdeen. Tel: (01224) 272014.
Issued on: Tuesday 9th of September 2008
Contact: Kelly Cromar