New Primo is coming January 2020 - Library Systems Upgrade
What are Library Systems?
The Library service runs on complex, integrated systems which provide cataloguing, search, metadata management, digital asset, and open access capability. Library users will be most familiar with the Library search interface, Primo but may also have experience of Digitool
What is happening?
We are migrating all the current library management systems, including Primo, to one integrated cloud-hosted system.
Why is this necessary?
We are moving to the supplier Ex Libris’ latest product, Alma with Primo, which will provide numerous benefits to the institution.
What are the benefits?
Benefits will include:
- Improved search and retrieval experience
- Better search experience on mobile and tablet devices
- Improved digital research capability
- Inter Library Loan available through Primo
What does this mean for me?
The main difference for staff and students is that the layout and functionality of the search and discovery tool, Primo, will change. Additionally:
- Items currently saved to the e-shelf function in Primo will not be automatically transferred - you will need to export the contents of your e-shelf in Primo or the Library Catalogue before December 23, 2019.
- Existing PIN numbers for using the self-service machines will need to be reset. Instructions will be provided.
- Permalinks from the current Primo search will no longer work
- The old Library catalogue will be retired
- Primo accounts and requests will be unavailable during the migration
Please note the following dates when there will be changes to Library Services as we begin to go through the process of migrating to Alma and the New Primo.
- Tuesday 10 December - Last date for the recall of books from other readers, until early January 2020
- Tuesday 10 December - Last date for the submission of Inter-Library Loan requests. Any submitted after this date will not be processed until early January 2020
- Monday 16 December - Last date when readers can request items from other library sites or from our stores
- Monday 23 December - The older Library Catalogue will be retired and no longer available
- Monday 23 December - Primo will become read-only i.e. no access to personal accounts meaning there will be no ability to renew items
We will be providing further information about all of these changes. Appropriate training for students will also be provided.
When will this happen?
In order to minimise disruption to staff and students, migration will take place over the holiday period. The new system will go live in January, prior to the start of term.
Where can I get further information?
Questions about the project can be directed to email@example.com.