New to the University of Aberdeen? Check the pages below for information that will help you settle into your new job and life in Aberdeen.


Here's a list of all the tasks you'll need to complete before you commence your employment at the University of Aberdeen.

Access to IT Facilities

You will need your IT account username and a password to access University computing facilities including email and calendaring, filespace, printing, payslips and so on. You will receive three separate emails up to 14 days before your start date:

  1. Welcome email confirming employee number

  2. Email containing your IT account username

  3. Email containing a temporary password and a link to the password reset portal

Please log in to the portal using your IT account username and the temporary password we provide, then reset your password.

ID Card Photo

Within one week before commencing employment at the University, please email a digital photograph to or alternatively send a passport size photograph to the Human Resources Office, Room 103, University of Aberdeen, University Office, King’s College, Aberdeen, AB24 3FX to obtain an ID card (this is also your library card). Your ID card will be sent to your School/Section unless requested otherwise. Please note that this information uploads overnight on our system so delays in sending in a photo may impact on your ID card functioning for the start of your employment. 

Passport Confirmation of Immigration Details

You are required to bring your passport and immigration documents to the Human Resources department for checking (Room 103), University Office, Old Aberdeen on or before your first day of employment. Any delays in doing so may affect your eligibility to commence working at the University.

Return of Documentation

Signed Contract of Employment

Please return one signed copy of the complete Statement of Particulars of Terms and Conditions of Employment to Human Resources Office, Room 103, University of Aberdeen, University Office, King’s College, Aberdeen, AB24 3FX within one week of receipt.

Alternatively, we can accept a scanned copy of your signed contract of employment. Please email a copy to prior to commencing your employment at the University.

Employee Information Form

Please complete the Employee Information sheet and return it to Human Resources Office, Room 103, University of Aberdeen, University Office, King’s College, Aberdeen, AB24 3FX at your earliest convenience to ensure prompt payment of your salary.

Alternatively, we can accept a scanned copy of your signed contract of employment. Please email a copy to prior to commencing your employment at the University.

Equal Opportunities Form

Please also complete and return the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form to Human Resources Office, Room 103, University of Aberdeen, University Office, King’s College, Aberdeen, AB24 3FX at your earliest convenience to assist the University in monitoring our position in relation to various diversity issues.

Alternatively, we can accept a scanned copy of your signed contract of employment. Please email a copy to prior to commencing your employment at the University.


Relocating to a new area can be a daunting experience for any new member of staff. To help you with relocating to Aberdeen to take up your new appointment, we have compiled the following information which we hope will help you to get started with some of the essentials when taking up your new post.


The University has houses/flats available for rent to University staff. The properties which are located on the Old Aberdeen campus and at the Rowett Institute in Bucksburn, are on a bus route to Foresterhill and the City Centre. For further information and to apply for staff accomodation visit the Accomodation for Staff page.

Aberdeen City and Shire has a wide selection of private accommodation available, however, you should be aware that at present there is a high demand for rental accommodation within the city and you should make sure you have arranged your accommodation well in advance of your arrival in Aberdeen.

You can find out what properties are available at the Aberdeen Solicitors Property Centre. This is a useful source of information on accommodation available to rent in the Aberdeen area, as most of the Aberdeen solicitor's pool their properties for rent and sale here.

You can visit the centre in person at

40 Chapel Street, 
AB10 1SP.

There are also a number of letting agencies in Aberdeen such as

Please note that this information is provided for illustrative purposes only and other letting agencies exist within Aberdeen. The University of Aberdeen has no links to private letting agencies within the City.

Information on bed & breakfasts, guest houses and hotels and their location in relation to the University campuses can be found at these web links:


There are many major banks and building societies operating in Aberdeen. Branches for all these can be found in the city centre with several of these banks having more than one branch in the city at various locations including near the Old Aberdeen and Foresterhill campuses.

Please contact should you require an employer reference to open a bank account.  An employer reference can be provided once you have returned your signed contract of employment and provided copies of your right to work documents.

National Insurance Number

A National Insurance (NI) number is a personal number used

  • to record a person's NI contributions and credited contributions
  • because it is needed when claiming social security benefits

You should apply for a NI number if you do not already have one and

  • you have started or are about to start work
  • you are self-employed
  • you want to pay voluntary NI contributions and would benefit from paying them

For these applications you should telephone 0845 600 0643 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.

For further information please follow this link:


The King's College campus-based Rocking Horse Nursery provides childcare for preschool aged children of students and staff. The nursery has three 'departments' which cater for 0-2, 2-3 and 3-5 year olds respectively.

The Rocking Horse Nursery has facilities for 46 children, from 0-5 years of age. Places are allocated according to the waiting list and the age of the child. Early booking is advisable.

The Rocking Horse Nursery is situated at 51 College Bounds, within the grounds of Crombie-Johnston Hall of Residence, and has a large play area ringed with mature trees. All enquiries should be addressed to

The Manager
Rocking Horse Nursery
University of Aberdeen
King's College
AB24 3YD

The Local Authority that the University is situated in also provides a pre-school education service Further options for child care may be explored via the external government Childcare Link website.

The University also has a Childcare Vouchers Scheme which is a tax saving initiative for staff.


The education service in and around Aberdeen is provided by the relevant Local Authority for where you live.

Information on schools in and around Aberdeen
Local health services in the area are provided by NHS Grampian who have a list of the services they provide. It is recommended that you register with your local medical practice, a list of which is provided by NHS Grampian and can be found on the above website.
Dentist Registration

If you are not already registered with a dentist, you are recommended to do so. The NHS Grampian Dental Services website contains information about how to register with a dentist and the Dental Registration Information Sheet provides further guidance.


In addition, the Dental Information and Advice Line can help with a variety of dental enquiries. It is open Monday to Friday 8.05am-5.45pm. The number is 0845 45 65 990.

Call the line if

  • You have a dental enquiry,
  • You wish to register with a dentist. This line is able to provide details of NHS practices are registering new patients,
  • You are not registered with a dentist and are experiencing tooth pain or have a dental emergency (call NHS 24 on 111 outside the hours of this line).

Local services and amenities are provided by the relevant local authority depending on where you live, for those living in and around Aberdeen these will be provided by either Aberdeen City Council or Aberdeenshire Council. For those living further distance from the University a full list of local authorities in Scotland can be found on the Scottish Government's website.

Registering with the Police

If you are a citizen of certain countries, and have been given permission to stay in the United Kingdom for more than six months, you will normally be required to register with a police station in the area in which you are living. Information on registering with the police including who needs to register can be found on the Home Office website.

If you need to register, this requirement will be endorsed in your passport. You must register within seven days of arriving in the United Kingdom. To register you will need your passport, two passport size photographs of yourself are usually required and the registration fee.

This should be done at:

Queen Street Police Station
Queen Street
AB10 1ZA

Tel: +44 (0) 1224 3061058

Further information on Relocation Expenses

New member of staff? We'd like to extend a warm welcome to you. Here's some useful information on what you need to do shortly after you join the university.

Induction Events

We hold two formal events each year to welcome new staff to the University of Aberdeen.

With presentations from senior managers on the structure and values, to stalls with information on what is available to you, the Induction Fayre is designed to ensure you receive a warm welcome to the wider University of Aberdeen community and receive the support you need to settle into your new role.

Look out for the dates being advertised on the web and in Communications emails.

You'll also receive an induction pack which is full of useful information about our university, our people, our core values, training and development and much more!

In the Induction Section, you will find a local induction checklist, designed to help you and your manager navigate through the first couple of weeks, getting to know your role and how things work in your area.   When completed please return to<> within 6 weeks.

Equality and Diversity Training

The University strives to foster an accessible and inclusive learning and working environment. To this end, all staff are expected to undergo Equality and Diversity e-training, which is an easy way to ensure your knowledge on Equality and Diversity matters is up to date. The training comprises two modules, each of which takes 60-90 minutes to complete. As a new member of staff, you will be required to complete the training within three months of taking up employment at the Univeristy. 

Useful Information


Contact HR

HR Employment Services is your first point of contact for any general HR issues including recruitment, terms and conditions, annual leave, HR policies and procedures, temporary services, honorary appointments and family friendly (maternity/paternity). The team also act as the first port of call for assistance with casework (such as discipline, capability, attendance management and dignity at work) at the early/informal stages of procedures and support the redeployment process.

We are also here to help job applicants with any queries about vacancies or the application process.

For general enquiries please call +44 (0)1224 273500 or email

Details of team responsibilities and contacts are below.

Employee Support Services

Provides HR support for general enquiries and administration associated with new starts, temporary services appointments, honorary appointments, variations to contracts, leavers and maintaining employee records. 

Example queries:

"I am an existing member of staff and I want to replace a damaged or faulty ID badge"

"I am an existing member of staff and I want to obtain an employment reference"

Team Leader:

Employment Services Assistants:

Clerical Assistant:

HR Advisers

Provide advice on HR policies and procedures, initial point of contact for recruitment and first line assistance with casework at the early/informal stages of procedures.

Example queries:

"I am an existing member of staff and I want to discuss maternity/paternity options"

"I am an existing member of staff and I want to alter my existing contract"

College of Arts & Social Sciences and College of Physical Sciences

College of Life Sciences & Medicine

Professional Services


Provides an end-to-end service through the recruitment process, once vacancies are approved, from advertising to issuing of contracts of employment.


Example query:

"I am an existing member of staff and I want to recruit a new member of staff"


Team Leader: 

  • For recruitment enquires relating to Senior Recruitment please contact: Isaac Closs on | +44 (0)1224 274225

Recruitment Assistants:

  • For recruitment enquires relating to the College of Life Sciences and Medicine please contact: Gabriele Ubartaite on +44 (0)1224 273963
  • For recruitment enquires relating to Professional Services please contact: Alison Hunter on | +44 (0)1224 273458
  • For recruitment enquires relating to the College of Physical Sciences or the College of Arts and Social Sciences please contact: Lannair Mcardle on | +44 (0)1224 273748
Redeployment Advisers

Provides support to managers and staff in respect of the Redeployment/avoidance of redundancy procedure.

Example query:

"I am an existing member of staff and I want to discuss redeployment" 

CASS, Professional Services, School of Biological Sciences, School of Medical Sciences and School of Psychology Rowett, CoPS and School of Medicine and Dentistry
Systems Support

Promotions Co-ordinator

Systems Administrator