Museo Pio Clementino

The constant archaeological activity in eighteenth century Rome went hand in hand with a flourishing trade in ‘restoration’ and sale of antiquities to ‘grand tourists.’ Partly as a response to this, the Vatican museum of antiquities, the Pio-Clementina was founded in 1771 with the intention of providing a secure place for the display of antiquities excavated in the Papal States. Its collections are recorded in the magnificent engravings in this volume.

Previous Page Next Page