A number of University departments offer services relating to the use of scientific instruments to process research data (e.g. IMS Core Facilities).
Many of these services require underlying network access, data storage, and support from IT Services to operate effectively. If you require any of the above, please contact the IT Service Desk (email@example.com) for support – prior to purchase. This allows us to ensure that the hardware and device will work safely in the University IT environment. Please also see the University’s Procurement Policy for guidance on purchasing. The Procurement Team will be able to help you with any related queries.
IT Services are now offering a standard model to support such services.
IT Services can support the following requirements:
- Network Access
- Architectural Assurance
- Workstation Set Up, Installation, and Support
- Data Storage
- Data Archive
- Ongoing support where defined and agreed up-front
- Note: Staff managing instruments attached to IT equipment (e.g. workstations) should be aware of the requirement to upgrade instruments as and when the technology supporting them no longer has manufacturer support.
- Academic and technical staff who deliver the service, manage and support scientific instruments, and manage data on behalf of service customers.
- Requests will be dealt with in office hours (9am-5pm). Network services are available 24/7, except for periods of scheduled maintenance and unforeseen interruptions to service.
- IT Services can support network access for new instruments.
- Where cabling and or network ports are required, this will be done in conjunction with colleagues from Estates.
- At least 3 months’ notice of implementation is required.
- Prior to purchase and installation, IT Services will carry out a process of architectural assurance on each proposed instrument, reviewing the technical requirements of the service. This is to ensure that any instrument/s and related workstation/s can operate safely and securely on the University network, with no detrimental impact on the network or other services.
- IT service can set up workstations with an appropriate operating system and software to facilitate instrument.
- IT Services can provide ongoing support for the workstation within its warranty period.
- Services will receive an allocation of operational data storage to facilitate their on-going service (currently up to 5TB).
- Service owners will be responsible for the curation of this space and the transfer of data to either the Primary Investigator or an appropriate archive.
- There is an expectation that services will include a cost in their overall service charge to facilitate the growth of operational storage, should this be required.
- Where operational project data is returned to the Primary Investigator, this can be held on a project specific shared drive (Each PI has access to 2TB FOC - Free of charge) but, where possible, storage or archival requirements should be included in grant applications).
- Where data archival is required (e.g. by a project team, project funder, or under University retention policy), IT Services can arrange an appropriate archive.
- Archival options are only appropriate for long term storage where immediate retrieval is not required.
- Where possible, costs should be should be included in grant applications.
- Full details on the above archival options, including availability, backup, and retrieval can be found on StaffNet.
- Contact the Service Desk for further information/additional support.
- Service Owners: Contact your IT Services Relationship Manager to discuss how this service can best be tailored to your requirements and implemented most effectively.
- Other queries, please contact the Service Desk.
- Users are expected to comply with the University’s Conditions for using IT Facilities.
- Users are expected to comply with any other current University policies governing the use of IT facilities, particularly those listed under the Information Management theme in the Policy Zone on StaffNet.
- Costs are currently as detailed below:
Scientific Instrument Service Primary Investigator Operating Storage Up to 5TB
Includes current allocations
Up to 2TB
Includes current allocation
Additional Operating Storage £3500 per TB
£3500 per TB
(Availability likely Q2 2016)
£250 per TB
£250 per TB