New security measures for accessing email or calendar via mobile devices
What is happening?
After 00:01 on the 11th December, your mobile device (phone, pad or tablet) must be protected by a PIN code if you want to use it for your University email and calendar.
The requirement for a 4 digit PIN code improves your mobile device security, protecting both you and the University from unauthorised access to your University Exchange account.
This PIN code will be the usual one that most people already use to secure their personal devices; if you already have a PIN code on your mobile phone or tablet, then you will not notice any difference.
PIN codes may also be known as passwords, passcodes, screen lock or unlock patterns, depending on your device.
What changes do I need to make?
If you wish to continue to use your device to access University email and calendars, then you must protect your device with a PIN code.
After the 11th, unprotected devices will prompt you to either set a PIN code, or to remove the connection to the Exchange service.
On Apple mobile devices, you will be asked to set a passcode. Tap on Settings, General then Passcode Lock. If you don’t set a passcode, then no new email or calendar information will be available.
On Android devices, you might see a warning message similar to:
Don’t panic. This screen looks ominous, as it talks about “IT Administrators” and “Erase all data”. However, your device will not be erased nor reset.
Can IT Services access or erase my device?
Only in exceptional cases, and only at your request, the University IT Service could arrange to remotely erase all the email and calendar information from your device, if it were lost or stolen, for example.
What else can I do to improve security on my mobile device?
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can enable the “find iPhone/iPad app”. This lets you locate a lost or stolen device, and allows you to remotely reset the device to protect your data and identity.
If you have an Android device, you can use the Android Device Manager to lock and erase your device remotely.
Browse by Month
- Feb There are no items to show for February 2018
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018