New solution to University data storage
What is happening?
The University recently invested significant funds in a new data storage solution to accommodate our ever increasing requirements. This centralised storage infrastructure will provide greater capacity, higher performance, automated archiving, and improved energy and cost efficiencies.
When is this happening?
Implementation and testing of the new Dell EMC storage system has already begun and should be complete by the end of March 2011. We will begin migrating data from our current servers in April.
Why might this affect me?
The new infrastructure is scalable. However, if we are to make best use of this resource we will gain little by migrating obsolete data onto the new system where it will occupy valuable space.
Growth forecasts indicate that the new system will meet all our medium term data storage requirements. By carrying out some careful housekeeping now, we have the opportunity to extend this period, thereby helping to manage the cumulative long term costs of data storage.
So how can I help?
You can help by reviewing the data currently stored on your H: drive and by deleting all obsolete or duplicate data before 31 March.
As only you can identify this data, your input and support is vital.
We hope you will take this opportunity to contribute to the future success and longevity of the University’s new data storage solution.
How can I find out more?
Should you have any concerns or queries, or if you would like information about how to carry out data cleansing, please contact the DIT Service Desk:
- Tel: 3636 (externally on: 01224 273636)
- Web client: www.abdn.ac.uk/servicedesk/self-service
- E-mail: email@example.com
Browse by Month
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018