Planned upgrade of Internet Explorer browser from version 6 to version 8 on all DIT-managed PCs.
What is happening?
Starting on Thursday 1st April and finishing by 5th April, DIT will begin to upgrade staff/college Microsoft Windows computers currently running Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) to Windows Internet Explorer 8 (IE8). This update will be applied to university computers that use the central WSUS server.
What should you do?
The update will be pushed automatically to your PC. You will be prompted to restart your PC after the install – please do so at your earliest convenience. If by the 5th April your PC has not received the update then please contact the Service Desk.
Why is this happening?
In addition to security enhancements, IE8 features performance and stability improvements, better standards support, as well as some new features.
There are also a number of projects which require a later version of the browser to function correctly e.g PURE, SkillsForge.
If you currently have Internet Explorer 7 we will be upgrading at a later date to be confirmed.
IMPORTANT Note #1 – Corporate Applications
If, after upgrading, you are experiencing issues with any of the University of Aberdeen’s corporate applications loading (e.g. Student Records, Admissions, etc.), especially if you have used a bookmark, please try the link from the MIS page http://www.abdn.ac.uk/staff/management-systems.php and update bookmarks as necessary.
IMPORTANT Note #2 – Rowett Institute users
If you have a requirement to use PURE or SkillsForge and require your browser to be upgraded please contact the Service Desk (Servicedesk@abdn.ac.uk)
For information on New features and Known Issues in Internet Explorer 8 please see the DIT Factsheet FS PC17: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/dit/staff/docu/facts.php#fspc
Should you have any concerns or queries please contact the DIT Service Desk:
- Tel: 3636 (externally on: 01224 273636)
- Web client: www.abdn.ac.uk/servicedesk/self-service
- E-mail: email@example.com
Browse by Month
- Mar There are no items to show for March 2018
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018