Information on Security Vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6
What is happening?
You may be aware, from recent news reports, that there has recently been a serious breach of Google’s email services through a vulnerability in the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser version 6. This has led the French and German Governments to advise their citizens to use other browsers, to avoid exposure to this vulnerability. The vulnerability currently does not have a fix (or security patch), but Microsoft has stated that it will issue a patch to resolve this issue today Thursday, 21 January at 18:00 GMT. This will be implemented by DIT, as soon as it becomes available to us.
Since this news announcement, DIT has been and continues to assess the risk to the University, which appears to be low.
What should you do?
For your University supplied personal computer you do not need to do anything at this time. When the security patch becomes available DIT will push the update to your computer automatically. For home computers, if you are using Internet Explorer version 6, you may wish to consider upgrading to Internet Explorer version 7 or 8, which are available for download on the Microsoft Website.
As always, should you need any assistance, please contact the DIT Service Desk on:
- Tel: 3636 (externally on: 01224 273636)
- Web client: www.abdn.ac.uk/servicedesk/self-service
- E-mail: email@example.com
Browse by Month
- Apr There are no items to show for April 2018
- May There are no items to show for May 2018
- Jun There are no items to show for June 2018
- Jul There are no items to show for July 2018
- Aug There are no items to show for August 2018
- Sep There are no items to show for September 2018
- Oct There are no items to show for October 2018
- Nov There are no items to show for November 2018
- Dec There are no items to show for December 2018