Transition to life at university is a very exciting one, but it can also be challenging and demanding at times. Whatever background you arrive from, we want you to make the most of your first year at university and enjoy your time here.
Students 4 Students (S4S) is here to help you settle into University life with advice and support from your fellow students who have been there and got the t-shirt.
Our S4S Mentors are all fully trained, and are current undergraduate students who are studying the same, or similar, subject as you.
- How Does S4S Work?
As a new first year student at the University you will be assigned an S4S Mentor. Your S4S Mentor is there to offer advice and support on university life from the perspective of a fellow student, alongside the assistance you get from your Personal Tutor. Students 4 Students will last for your entire first year although we would expect you to have the most contact during the first semester.
Your S4S Mentor will allow you to:
- Gain practical advice, encouragement and support
- Learn from the experiences of others within your area of study
- Increase your social and academic confidence
- Make new friends across year groups
- Develop strategies for dealing with life at university
If you have any questions or would like more information email Students 4 Students.
- What is a Mentor?
All of our S4S Mentors are current students at the University of Aberdeen who have been through starting university for the first time. All first year undergraduate students are allocated a mentor when they start university and a brief description is provided below of the role that they provide.
A mentor will:
- help you settle in and support you during your first year at the University of Aberdeen;
- provide support in getting to know the campus and University processes and procedures;
- answer any questions you have or direct you to the most appropriate source of advice;
- be available to meet with you and the rest of their mentees from time to time, either as a group or on your own (as appropriate);
- keep in touch with you every few weeks throughout the year either by email or in person (by arrangement);
- ensure that you understand and are aware of University procedures at key times of the year (e.g. exam time);
- encourage you to make the most of opportunities to meet with the other mentees, become involved in campus life and develop your own support networks;
- be aware of the support and advice available from the University, Students' Association and elsewhere;
- maintain confidentially.
- can advise where you should go with coursework issues, but is not a tutor and cannot help with assessments or provide academic support;
- can point you in the right direction of appropriate University support services, but is not a counsellor;
- is not expected to know everything, but will know where to go or who to ask to find out the information.
- S4S School Coordinators
Each School within the Uuniversity has its own academic member of staff who has taken on the role of S4S Coordinator for their particular School. Below is a list of all of the School Coordinators:
School of Biological Sciences
S4S Coordinator - Dr Yit The
- Email - email@example.com
S4S Coordinator - Dr Nicola Naughton
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Divinity, History and Philosophy
S4S Coordinator - Dr Luca Moretti
- Email - email@example.com
School of Engineering
S4S Coordinator - Dr Peter Hicks
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Geosciences
S4S Coordinator - Dr Quan Gan
- Email - email@example.com
School of Language, Literature, Music and Visual Culture
S4S Coordinator - Dr Syrithe Pugh
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Law
S4S Coordinator - Mr Derek Auchie
- Email - email@example.com
School of Medical Sciences
S4S Coordinator - Dr John Barrow
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Natural and Computing Sciences
S4S Coordinator - Dr M. Carmen Romano
- Email - email@example.com
School of Psychology
S4S Coordinator - Dr Dannette Marie
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Social Sciences
S4S Coordinator - Dr Arnar Arnason
- Email - email@example.com