Most students taking single honours undergraduate degrees at Aberdeen are required to take Enhanced Study. These are courses that are outside the main discipline you are studying. Undergraduate students are normally required to take the following number of credits of Enhanced Study:
Programme years 1 and 2: 60 credits (Normally, this will be one 15-credit course each half-session).
Enhanced Study Options are designed to allow students to have choice, wider opportunities and greater flexibility in their learning. There are three types of Enhanced Study Options:
- Sixth Century Courses invite you to consider different approaches to knowledge and enquiry as you look at issues affecting the world in which we live today. For a full list of Sixth Century Courses you should visit the Sixth Century Courses page.
- Sustained Study is designed to provide you with continual exposure, throughout your first two years, to an area of study that is separate to your core subject. Should you be interested in taking a Sustained Study, this will cover your entire Enhanced Study requirements for both years one and two.
Sustained Study is available in the following:
- Arabic (Beginners)
- Biblical Language (Greek)
- Conservation & Environment
- Fit For Life
- French (Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced)
- German (Beginners, Intermediate)
- Gaelic (Beginners, Intermediate/Advanced)
- Mandarin Chinese (Beginners)
- Religions of the World
- Scandinavian Language: Swedish (Beginners)
- Spanish (Beginners, Intermediate)
If you wish to take Sustained Study in Arabic, Mandarin or Scandinavian Language, you should sign up for the following courses within the discipline breadth option in MyCurriculum.
|ARABIC (Beginners)||Level 1||AR1002 Arabic for Beginners 1||AR1502 Arabic for Beginners 2|
|Level 2||AR2002 Arabic for Beginners 3||AR2502 Arabic for Beginners 4|
|CONSERVATION AND ENVIRONMENT||Level 1||BI1009 Frontiers in Biological Sciences||BI1511 Ecology and Environmental Science|
|Level 2||BI2020 Ecology||BI2509 Conservation Biology|
|MANDARIN CHINESE (Beginners)||Level 1||MN1001 Mandarin Chinese for Beginners 1||MN1501 Mandarin Chinese for Beginners 2|
|Level 2||MN2001 Mandarin for Beginners 3||MN2501 Mandarin for Beginners 4|
|SCANDINAVIAN LANGUAGE: Swedish (Beginners)||Level 1||SN1003 Scandinavian Language (Swedish) 1||SN1503 Scandinavian Language (Swedish) 2|
|Level 2||SN2003 Scandinavian Language (Swedish) 3||SN2503 Scandinavian Language (Swedish) 4|
For all other Sustained Study options, you should choose these from the Sustained Study course listing within MyCurriculum.
For further information, please visit the Sustained Study page.
3. Discipline Breadth Courses allow you to extend the scope of your study by taking a single course that interests you. For a full list of Discipline Breadth courses please visit the University's Catalogue of Courses.
If you are studying Medicine or Dentistry, you will not be required to take any enhanced study options as the majority of your courses are compulsory.
If you are a Joint Honours student, or on a Major-Minor programme, you will not be required to undertake Enhanced Study Options, as the joint nature of your degree provides the necessary breadth.
Enhanced Study Guide 2017-18 is available from here.