From racing to Paris for charity, volleyball or the Opera Society... there is something out there for YOU! The links below will give you a flavour of what is on offer at the University. So no excuses, get involved!
The Aberdeen University Students' Association represents and serves students interests. AUSA has over 170 different sports clubs and societies, a whole range of volunteering opportunities, a second-hand bookshop to buy and sell course texts and other literature and coordinates many events throughout the year including Welcome Week and the Graduation Ball. Based in the Butchart Centre on University Road, you will find all of this plus a fantastic social space with a coffee shop inside.
- Aberdeen University Debater
The Debater holds regular debates and training sessions and sends teams to competitions around the United Kingdom.
Founded 1848 to act as a forum for staff and students to discuss the issues of the day and to promote free speech on campus, the Aberdeen University Debater hold regular debates and training sessions and send teams to competitions around the United Kingdom.
Debating is the ideal way to develop your skills in public speaking and communication generally, whilst having a great deal of fun in the process. And it's free! Students are automatically a member. Most of their debates are also open to members of the public without any admission charge.
Are you sporty? Or do you want to be? There is something for everyone to get involved in from Athletics to Rugby to Ultimate Frisbee.
- Aberdeen Universities Officers' Training Corps
AUOTC is an organisation which provides military leadership training to students from the University of Aberdeen.
Volunteering is a great thing to broaden your range of life experiences, help you develop new skills, contribute to your community and enhance your CV. Volunteering can also allow you to make contacts in fields that are traditionally very hard to enter such as the environment, international development work or the media.
Other sites of use include:
- The Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations is an umbrella organsitation for charities in Scotland, and has an excellent vacancies section.
- The BUNAC Working Adventures Worldwide is for overseas work and volunteer programmes in countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
- The Volunteering Services Aberdeen (VSA) runs a large number of projects in the Aberdeen area.
- ProjectScotland is a national charity that helps young people realise their potential through volunteering, and is for anyone aged 16 to 25, who has lived in Scotland for at least a year.