Registering with a Doctor

You should register with a local NHS doctor as soon as possible. If you are already registered with a doctor based in Aberdeen, then there is no need to register with another. The doctors surgery you register with will depend on where you live in Aberdeen. You can find the closest medical practices to you by clicking on the NHS 24 website.

An advice sheet on which surgery you should register with is available from the Infohub and the Student Advice and Support Office.

The GP practices will be on campus during Welcome Week in September for you to register. 

If you cannot register at the events in September please visit the correct Practice to collect an application form and make an appointment for a health check.

Tier 4 students who have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of their visa application will be eligible to access National Health Service (NHS) treatment when they arrive in Scotland. You will need to pay for dental treatment. Additional visa applications will require a further payment for the period of the extension. Students coming for short-term study must ensure that they obtain medical insurance before travelling to the UK. European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals should obtain a European Health Insurance card (EHIC) from their country of residence prior to coming to the UK. Accident and emergency services are free for everyone, but not follow-up treatment or admission as an in-patient to hospital. You are also advised to bring with you any relevant medical records and details of existing medical conditions.


Hillhead Halls


Old Aberdeen Medical Practice, 12 Sunnybank Road


Crombie, Johnstone & Elphinestone Halls


Denburn Health Centre, Rosemount Viaduct


Spring Gardens


Denburn Health Centre, Rosemount Viaduct


King Street Exchange


Calsayseat Medical Group, 44 Powis Place

Fire Station, Mealmarket & Private Accommodation close to the University Campus

Old Aberdeen Medical Practice, 12 Sunnybank Road

For more information visit the CluedUp website.


Registering with a Dentist

If you are not already registered with a dentist, you are recommended to do so.

In Scotland, visits to the dentist and dental work generally are not free of charge.

Whilst some dentists offer a free check-up service, charges and procedures differ by practice.

There are three types of dentists you can register with, NHS practices, privately run practices and private practices which offer NHS services.

Not all NHS practices are able to accept new patients, so you must ask before registering. Whilst the dental procedures covered by the NHS are not free, they are charged at a reduced rate and therefore tend to be cheaper than private practices.

The Dental Information and Advice Line can help with a variety of dental enquiries. It is open Monday to Friday 8.05am-5.45pm. The number is 0845 45 65 990.

Call the line if

  • You have a dental enquiry,
  • You wish to register with a dentist. This line is able to provide details of NHS practices are registering new patients,
  • You are not registered with a dentist and are experiencing tooth pain or have a dental emergency (call NHS 24 on 111 outside the hours of this line).

If you are registered with a dentist and you have severe toothache or a dental emergency you are advised to contact your dental practice. Even if the practice is closed, an automated message will provide specific instructions.

For more information visit the CluedUp website.


All prescriptions including birth control are free of charge in Scotland. If you travel across the border into England and request a prescription to be filled, please be aware that you may incur a charge of around £7.85.


Eye tests are generally not free, but are available from various local opticians. 

If you wear contacts it is worth registering with a local opticians as they will require you to complete a separate test before you order contacts.

Health Advice

There are Student Support leaflets relating to healthcare available from the Student Advice & Support Office. The CluedUp website offers tips and advice on how to stay healthy as well as information on upcoming health related events. 

The Students' Association's Student Advice Centre also has a wide array of information and contacts that can provide you with guidance on a number of health matters including mental health, physical wellbeing, substance misuse and healthy relationships.

Long Term Health Conditions

If you have a long-term health condition (including mental health issues) which may affect your studies, you might wish to consider contacting a Disability Adviser is he Student Advice and Support Office for advice on the support which might be available to you. for more information, please visit the information for disabled students.

Meningitis Vaccination

If you are under 25 and entering university for the first time, you are advised to obtain a MenACWY vaccine from your current GP practice or family doctor before starting your studies. If that has not been possible, you should arrange to get a vaccine from your GP in Aberdeen once you have registered with a doctor's practice. An information leaflet explaining the need for vaccination can be accessed on the Immunisation Scotland Website.


There have been several cases of Mumps amongst students across Scotland. Mumps is a viral infection causing fever, swelling and tenderness in one or both of the salivary glands. People are infections from 5 days before the swelling appears until 9 days afterwards. It is spread by droplets and direct contact with saliva.

The best way to prevent infection is to have TWO doses of MMR given a month apart. Please check that you have already been vaccinated and if not, contact your GP.


As you may be aware, there has been an outbreak of Ebola in West Africa principally affecting Sierra Leone, guinea and Liberia. The University is maintaining close contact with NHS Grampian's Health protection Team and the current expert advice is that the risk of becoming infected with the Ebola virus is considered to be low, unless individuals have had contact with animals/raw meat infected with the virus or have had contact with the blood, secretions, other bodily fluids or organs of infected people.

Advice from the Health Protection Team is that anyone who has travelled from West Africa and becomes unwell with a fever (higher than 37.5oC) within 21 days of arrival in the UK should phone their GP practice or NHS24 (phone 111), informing them of their recent travel history, and also inform the University. The Health Protection Tea, has stated explicitly that no further precautions are necessary given the low level of the risk.

The situation with Ebola virus disease is being kept under review. The University is maintaining close contacts with the Health Protection Team who in turn are liaising at a national level with Health Protection Scotland and with the UK authorities. If their advice should change, we will review out arrangements and will keep students informed.