Information regarding Council Tax

Undergraduate students

Council Tax is a local tax payable to the Local Authority. Students should not require Council Tax Certificates as lists of all full-time registered students are sent to Aberdeen City Council at the start of each academic year. However, if you pay Council Tax to another Authority or encounter problems with Aberdeen City Council you can obtain a Council Tax Certificate from the Infohub.

Postgraduate taught students

If you are a full-time taught student, you are automatically exempt from paying Council tax. You can ask for a confirmation of your student status at the Infohub.

Postgraduate research students

If you were a full-time student during your supervised study period, and you live in Aberdeen, you can apply for council tax exemption for the first 12 months of your writing-up period.

Please note that this is an agreement with Aberdeen City Council only, and is for the first year of your writing-up period only.

Additional Information

Should you require to apply for council tax, you can find the student property exemption form here and the council tax household discount form here.

For more information on council tax you can visit the Aberdeen City Council website. If students have any other specific enquiries regarding their council tax they can email for a direct response.