The University of Aberdeen
Room 4.24 Institute of Medical Sciences
Tel: 01224 437507
Professor Forrester received his MD, ChB from Glasgow University, Scotland in 1970. In 1980 he received his MD also from the University of Glasgow. Between 1979-1984 he was Consultant Ophthalmologist/Clinical Lecturer in Ophthalmology at Glasgow University. In 1984 he was appointed to his current post, Cockburn Professor of Ophthalmology University of Aberdeen/Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist, NHS Grampian.
He has over the years received 16 awards and Visiting Professorships including the London Hospital Prize for Original Research in Ophthalmology in 1977, the Duke Elder Medal and the Ida Mann Medal in 1991. He received the Spinoza Professorship in Amsterdam in 1998 and the Kimura Lectureship as Visiting Professor (UCSF) University of California, San Francisco in 2004.
His main areas of research are Diabetic Retinopathy, Angiogenesis, Endothelial Cell Function, Ocular Immunology, Uveitis, Autoimmune Disease, Imaging in Ophthalmology, Wound Healing and Corneal Transplantation and has published over 260 papers.
He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Glasgow, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, Physicians of Edinburgh, Academy of Medical Sciences and the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
He is Chairman of the RCOphth Medical Ophthalmology Training Sub-Committee and the RCOphth Diabetic Retinopathy Guidelines Committee and a member of the MRC Advisory Board. He was previously Editor-in-Chief of the British Journal of Ophthalmology 1992-2000. He is currently an Editorial Board member of the British Journal of Ophthalmology, European Journal of Ophthalmology and Current Eye Research.
Page 1 of 3 Results 1 to 10 of 30
- Moelzer, C, Shankar, SP, Griffith, M, Islam, MM, Forrester, J & Kuffova, L 2019, 'Activation of dendritic cells by crosslinked collagen hydrogels (artificial corneas) varies with their composition', Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 1528-1543. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/term.2903
- Raverdeau, M, Christofi, M, Malara, A, Wilk, MM, Misiak, A, Kuffova, L, Yu, T, McGinley, A, Quinn, SM, Massilamany, C, Reddy, J, Forrester, JV & Mills, KHG 2019, 'Retinoic acid‐induced autoantigen‐specific type 1 regulatory T cells suppress autoimmunity', EMBO reports, vol. 20, no. 3, e47121. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.15252/embr.201847121
- Moelzer, C, Shankar, SP, Masalski, V, Griffith, M, Kuffova, L & Forrester, JV 2019, 'TGF‐β1‐activated type 2 dendritic cells promote wound healing and induce fibroblasts to express tenascin c following corneal full‐thickness hydrogel transplantation', Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 1507-1517. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/term.2853
- Liu, Y-H, Moelzer, C, Milne, GC, Kuffova, L & Forrester, JVV 2019, 'Transmission Electron Microscopy Data on drusen-like deposits in the retinal degeneration sTg-IRBP: HEL mouse model', Data in brief, vol. 22, pp. 140-144. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2018.12.007
- Forrester, JV, Kuffova, L & Dick, AD 2018, 'Autoimmunity, Autoinflammation, and Infection in Uveitis', American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 189, pp. 77-85. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajo.2018.02.019
- Cao, L, Liu, J, Pu, J, Collinson, JM, Forrester, JV & McCaig, CD 2018, 'Endogenous bioelectric currents promote differentiation of the mammalian lens', Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 233, no. 3, pp. 2202-2212. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.26074
- Cao, L, Liu, J, Pu, J, Milne, G, Chen, M, Xu, H, Shipley, A, Forrester, JV, McCaig, CD & Lois, N 2018, 'Polarized retinal pigment epithelium generates electrical signals that diminish with age and regulate retinal pathology', Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 5552-5564. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jcmm.13829
- Yu, T, Forrester, JV, Graham, GJ & Kuffova, L 2018, 'The atypical chemokine receptor-2 does not alter corneal graft survival but regulates early stage of corneal graft induced lymphangiogenesis', Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 256, no. 10, pp. 1875-1882. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00417-018-4070-1
- Rajendran, V, Netuková, M, Griffith, M, Forrester, JV & Kuffova, L 2017, 'Mesenchymal stem cell therapy for retro-corneal membrane - A clinical challenge in full-thickness transplantation of biosynthetic corneal equivalents', Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 64, pp. 346-356. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2017.10.011
- Yu, T, Rajendran, V, Griffith, M, Forrester, JV & Kuffová, L 2016, 'High-risk corneal allografts: A therapeutic challenge', World Journal of Transplantation, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 10-27. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.5500/wjt.v6.i1.10