Chair in Applied Medicine
Psychiatric Genetics, particularly of schizophrenia.
- Further Info
Professor in Psychiatry and Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist with NHS Grampian, Professor David St Clair's career at the University of Aberdeen began in 1995 with a move from Edinburgh where he had held the position of Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellow at MRC Human Genetics Unit. Main research interest is understanding the basic causes of schizophrenia and developing new methods of diagnosing and classifying major mental illness. He has made a significant contribution to the genetics of schizophrenia and is part of a both the International Schizophrenia and SGENE consortia who are performing genome wide studies of DNA from large numbers of schizophrenia cases and controls. Other ongoing studies in Aberdeen include schizophrenia bio-marker development and translational studies in Disc-1 transgenic mice. He holds an advisory professorship at Shanghai Jiaotong University and an adjunct professorship at Columbia University. He has identified pre-natal nutritional deficiency as a major environmental risk factor for schizophrenia and in collaboration with colleagues at Jiaotong and Shanghai large scale field studies have begun to identify the mechanisms responsible.
Page 1 of 19 Results 1 to 10 of 190
- Lathe, R & St. Clair, D 2020, 'From conifers to cognition: Microbes, brain and behavior', Genes, Brain and Behavior. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/gbb.12680
- Stahl, EA, Breen, G, Forstner, AJ, McQuillin, A, Ripke, S, Trubetskoy, V, Mattheisen, M, Wang, Y, Coleman, JRI, Gaspar, HA, de Leeuw, CA, Steinberg, S, Pavlides, JMW, Trzaskowski, M, Byrne, EM, Pers, TH, Holmans, PA, Richards, AL, Abbott, L, Agerbo, E, Akil, H, Albani, D, Alliey-Rodriguez, N, Als, TD, Anjorin, A, Antilla, V, Awasthi, S, Badner, JA, Bækvad-Hansen, M, Barchas, JD, Bass, N, Bauer, M, Belliveau, R, Bergen, SE, Pedersen, CB, Bøen, E, Boks, MP, Boocock, J, Budde, M, Bunney, W, Burmeister, M, Bybjerg-Grauholm, J, Byerley, W, Casas, M, Cerrato, F, Cervantes, P, Chambert, K, Charney, AW, Chen, D, St Clair, D, eQTLGen Consortium, BIOS Consortium & the Bipolar Disorder Working Group of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium 2019, 'Genome-wide association study identifies 30 loci associated with bipolar disorder', Nature Genetics, vol. 51, pp. 793-803. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41588-019-0397-8
- Pruski, M, Hu, L, Yang, C, Wang, Y, Zhang, J-B, Zhang, L, Huang, Y, Rajnicek, AM, St Clair, D, McCaig, CD, Lang, B & Ding, Y-Q 2019, 'Roles for IFT172 and primary cilia in cell migration, cell division and neocortex development', Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 7, 287. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fcell.2019.00287
- Whelan, R, St Clair, D, Mustard, CJ, Hallford, P & Wei, J 2018, 'Study of Novel Autoantibodies in Schizophrenia', Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1341-1349. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbx175
- St. Clair, D & Johnstone, M 2018, 'Using mouse transgenic and human stem cell technologies to model genetic mutations associated with schizophrenia and autism', Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, vol. 373, no. 1742, 20170037. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2017.0037
- Fabbri, C, Hosak, L, Mössner, R, Giegling, I, Mandelli, L, Bellivier, F, Claes, S, Collier, DA, Corrales, A, Delisi, LE, Gallo, C, Gill, M, Kennedy, JL, Leboyer, M, Lisoway, A, Maier, W, Marquez, M, Massat, I, Mors, O, Muglia, P, Nöthen, MM, O’Donovan, MC, Ospina-Duque, J, Propping, P, Shi, Y, St Clair, D, Thibaut, F, Cichon, S, Mendlewicz, J, Rujescu, D & Serretti, A 2017, 'Consensus paper of the WFSBP Task Force on Genetics: Genetics, epigenetics and gene expression markers of major depressive disorder and antidepressant response', World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 5-28. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/15622975.2016.1208843
- McLean, RT, Wilson, P, St Clair, D, Mustard, CJ & Wei, J 2017, 'Differential antibody responses to gliadin-derived indigestible peptides in patients with schizophrenia', Translational Psychiatry, vol. 7, e1121. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/tp.2017.89
- Giegling, I, Hosak, L, Mössner, R, Serretti, A, Bellivier, F, Claes, S, Collier, DA, Corrales, A, DeLisi, LE, Gallo, C, Gill, M, Kennedy, JL, Leboyer, M, Maier, W, Marquez, M, Massat, I, Mors, O, Muglia, P, Nöthen, MM, Ospina-Duque, J, Owen, MJ, Propping, P, Shi, YY, St Clair, D, Thibaut, F, Cichon, S, Mendlewicz, J, O'Donovan, MC & Rujescu, D 2017, 'Genetics of schizophrenia: A consensus paper of the WFSBP Task Force on Genetics', World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 492-505. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/15622975.2016.1268715
- Hannon, E, Dempster, E, Viana, J, Burrage, J, Smith, AR, Macdonald, R, St Clair, D, Mustard, C, Breen, G, Therman, S, Kaprio, J, Toulopoulou, T, Pol, HEH, Bohlken, MM, Kahn, RS, Nenadic, I, Hultman, CM, Murray, RM, Collier, DA, Bass, N, Gurling, H, McQuillin, A, Schalkwyk, L & Mill, J 2016, 'An integrated genetic-epigenetic analysis of schizophrenia: Evidence for co-localization of genetic associations and differential DNA methylation', Genome Biology, vol. 17, 176. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13059-016-1041-x
- Thomson, PA, Duff, B, Blackwood, DHR, Romaniuk, L, Watson, A, Whalley, HC, Li, X, Dauvermann, MR, Moorhead, TWJ, Bois, C, Ryan, NM, Redpath, H, Hall, L, Morris, SW, Van Beek, EJR, Roberts, N, Porteous, DJ, St Clair, D, Whitcher, B, Dunlop, J, Brandon, NJ, Hughes, ZA, Hall, J, McIntosh, A & Lawrie, SM 2016, 'Balanced translocation linked to psychiatric disorder, glutamate, and cortical structure/function', npj Schizophrenia, vol. 2, 16024. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/npjschz.2016.24