Lecturer in Medical Sciences
It is with deep sadness that the University of Aberdeen is letting visitors to Dr Baldassarre’s web page know of Max’s sudden and unexpected death in January 2023.
Max was a valued colleague and collaborator and a friend to many of us in the Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) and the broader School of Medicine, Medical Sciences and Nutrition.
Max joined the University as a research fellow in the Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) in October 2013 and was subsequently promoted to Lecturer in May 2017. Max’s research focused on studying how cell and organism (the host) interact with bacteria and other microorganisms as a tool to shed light on fundamental cell biology mechanisms and reveal mechanisms used by microbes to colonise and survive in the host, addressing important human health-related diseases.
Max was a highly respected, liked and popular colleague and teacher, and will be greatly missed by all who knew and worked with him.
Dr Massimiliano Baldassarre’s Biography
2002: PhD, Consorzio Mario Negri Sud, Italy
2017 - 2023: Lecturer in Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen
2013 - 2017: Research Fellow, University of Aberdeen
2012 - 2013: Director of the shRNA screening laboratory, Yale School of Medicine
2010 - 2013: Associate Research Scientist, Yale School of Medicine
2004 - 2010: Postdoctoral Associate, Yale School of Medicine
- A Small-Scale shRNA Screen in Primary Mouse Macrophages Identifies a Role for the Rab GTPase Rab1b in Controlling Salmonella Typhi Growth. Solano-Collado, V., Colamarino, R. A., Calderwood, D. A., Baldassarre, M., Spanò, S. Frontiers in cellular and infection microbiology, vol. 11, 660689, 2021
- Bscl2 Deficiency Does Not Directly Impair the Innate Immune Response in a Murine Model of Generalized Lipodystrophy. Roumane, A., Mcilroy, G. D., Balci, A., Han, W., Delibegović, M., Baldassarre, M., Newsholme, P., Rochford, J. J. Journal of Clinical Medicine, vol. 10, no. 3, 441, 2021
- The Rab32/BLOC-3–dependent pathway mediates host defense against different pathogens in human macrophages. Baldassarre, M., Solano Collado, M. V., Balci, A., Colamarino, R. A., Dambuza, I. M., Reid, D. M., Wilson, H., Brown, G. D., Mukhopadyay, S., Dougan, G., Spano, S. Science Advances, vol. 7, no. 3, eabb1795, 2021
- VARP and Rab9 Are Dispensable for the Rab32/BLOC-3 Dependent Salmonella Killing. Balci, A., Solano Collado, M. V., Baldassarre, M., Spano, S. Frontiers in cellular and infection microbiology, vol. 10, 581024, 2020
- Design, synthesis, conjugation and reactivity of novel trans,trans-1,5-cyclooctadiene-derived bioorthogonal linkers. Longo, B., Zanato, C., Piras, M., Dall'angelo, S., Windhorst, A. D., Vugts, D., Baldassarre, M., Zanda, M. Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 2201-2210, 2020