Janet graduated from the University of Strathclyde with a BSc (Hons) in Food Science and microbiology, then gained a MSc(Med sci) in Human Nutrition from the University of Glasgow. After graduating she spent 7 years working as a research assistant, at the Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen on a series of Food Standards Agency and EU human intervention and supplementation projects investigating the uptake and potential antioxidant/oxidant effects of flavonoids and selenium on human health. During this time she completed her PhD at the University of Aberdeen which focussed on dietary flavonoid intake and colorectal cancer risk. On completing her PhD she undertook a Marie Curie Industrial Research Fellowship based at Unilever R&D, Vlaardingen in the Netherlands. In 2005 she returned to Aberdeen to join the Public Health Nutrition Research Group as a Research Fellow in nutrition and to manage the Scottish Collaborative Group Food Frequency Questionnaire service.
In 2011 she moved into lecturing co-ordinating post graduate courses as part of the International Health & Management and Global Health programmes, before returning to nutrition and her current position as programme co-ordinator for the MSc in Human Nutrition in February 2013.
- Investigating the role of diet in relation to disease, current project have a focus on impact of diet when managing inflammatory bowel disease.
- Food security to ensure provision of healthy sustainable diets
- Dietary assessment methods and development of novel food composition databases both locally in UK and internationally.
- Development of nutrient and food portion databases to support calculation packages linked to dietary assessment tools including web-based 24hr recall and food frequency questionnaires. These are for both local and internatonal projects based in Nepal, India and Saudi Arabia.
- Design and completion of validation studies for food questionnaire questionnaires
- Food security: maximinising nutirent quality and minimisation of environmental impact of rice production; calculation of environmental impact of diets meeting dietary recommendations.
- Development of novel nutrititive food composition databases to factilitate the epidemiological assessment of dietary intake and disease risk.
- Investigating the role of diet in relation to inflammatory bowel disease
World Wildlife Fund 2010, Livewell project: A balance of healthy and sustainable food choices. Kyle J, MacDiarmid J, Johnson A & McNeill G.
Chief Scientists Office 2016, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) and the role of dietary intake patterns for relapse of condition.
- Post-graduate teaching within the Institute of Applied Health Sciences: develiving lectures on a range Human Nutrition related topics
- Co-ordinator for following courses:
- Public Health Nutrition
- Human Nutrition in Context
- Contribute to teaching on the following courses
- Foundations of Nutrition
- Nutrition & Health
- 1st year Medicine
- CPD Introductory & Advanced Short Courses in Dietary Assessment Methods
Page 1 of 6 Results 1 to 10 of 54
- Gaihre, S, Kyle, J, Semple, S, Smith, J, Marais, D, Subedi, M & Morgan, HM 2019, 'Bridging barriers to advance multisector approaches to improve food security, nutrition and population health in Nepal: transdisciplinary perspectives ', BMC Public Health, vol. 19, 961. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-7204-4
- Alnasser, A, Kyle, J, Aloumi, N, Al-Khalifa, A & Marais, D 2019, 'The Twazon Arabic Weight Loss App: App-Based Intervention for Saudi Women With Obesity', JMIR Mhealth and Uhealth, vol. 7, no. 5, 10923. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2196/10923
- Duthie, SJ, Duthie, GG, Russell, WR, Kyle, JAM, Macdiarmid, JI, Rungapamestry, V, Stephen, S, Megias-Baeza, C, Kaniewska, JJ, Shaw, L, Milne, L, Bremner, D, Ross, K, Morrice, P, Pirie, LP, Horgan, G & Bestwick, CS 2018, 'Effect of increasing fruit and vegetable intake by dietary intervention on nutritional biomarkers and attitudes to dietary change: a randomised trial', European Journal of Nutrition, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1855-1872. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-017-1469-0
- Alnasser, A, Kyle, J, Alkhalifah, A & Marais, D 2018, 'Relationship Between Evidence Requirements, User Expectations, and Actual Experiences: Usability Evaluation of the Twazon Arabic Weight Loss App', JMIR human factors, vol. 5, no. 2, e16. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2196/humanfactors.9765
- Asvatourian, V, Craig, T, Horgan, GW, Kyle, J & Macdiarmid, JI 2018, 'Relationship between pro-environmental attitudes and behaviour and dietary intake patterns', Sustainable Production and Consumption, vol. 16, pp. 216-226. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2018.08.009
- Hollis, JL, Craig, LCA, Whybrow, S, Clark, H, Kyle, JAM & McNeill, G 2017, 'Assessing the relative validity of the Scottish Collaborative Group FFQ for measuring dietary intake in adults', Public Health Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 449-455 . [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980016002421
- Hernández, MDCV, Kyle, J, Allan, J, Allerhand, M, Clark, H, Maniega, SM, Royle, NA, Gow, AJ, Pattie, A, Corley, J, Bastin, ME, Starr, JM, Wardlaw, JM, Deary, IJ & Combet, E 2017, 'Dietary iodine exposure and brain structures and cognition in older people: Exploratory analysis in the Lothian Birth Cohort 1936', Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 971-979. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-017-0954-8
- Gaihre, S, Kyle, J, Semple, S, Smith, J, Subedi, M & Marais, D 2016, 'Type and extent of trans-disciplinary co-operation to improve food security, health and household environment in low and middle income countries: systematic review', BMC Public Health, vol. 16, 1093. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-3731-4
- Corley, J, Kyle, JAM, Starr, JM, McNeill, G & Deary, IJ 2015, 'Dietary factors and biomarkers of systemic inflammation in older people: the Lothian Birth Cohort 1936', British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 114, no. 7, pp. 1088-1098. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S000711451500210X
- Valdes-Hernandez, MDC, Allan, J, Glatz, A, Kyle, J, Corley, J, Brett, CE, Munoz-Maniega, S, Royle, NA, Bastin, ME, Starr, JM, Deary, IJ & Wardlaw, JM 2015, 'Exploratory analysis of dietary intake and brain iron accumulation detected using magnetic resonance imaging in older individuals: the Lothian Birth cohort 1936', Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 64-69. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-014-0523-3