Personal Chair (Clinical)
Peter Murchie trained in medicine at the University of Aberdeen, graduating in 1994. He completed vocational training in general practice in Northeast Scotland before embarking upon a career in academic general practice through a Cancer Research UK Primary Care Oncology Fellowship. He is currently Professor of Primary Care and lead of the Academic Primary Care Research Group, within the Institute of Applied Health Sciences University of Aberdeen. He leads a research programme which uses clinical data to pursue two main aims: first to better understand the cancer diagnostic pathway within primary care, and second, to improve community-based cancer survivorship care. He maintains a foothold in daytime and out-of-hours general practice in Northeast Scotland.
My research focuses on managing cancer within primary care.
1. How is cancer diagnosed, what factors are influential, and how can the cancer diagnostic process in primary care be optimised.
2. How can primary care best support people living in the community after they have completed their primary cancer treatment.
Co-ordinator of Epidemiology module (PU5538) for Online Postgraduate Certificate in Research Method
Page 1 of 12 Results 1 to 10 of 111
- Tran, KT, McMenamin, ÚC, Coleman, HG, Cardwell, CR, Murchie, P, Iversen, L, Lee, AJ & Thrift, AP 2019, 'Statin use and risk of liver cancer: Evidence from two population-based studies' International Journal of Cancer. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.32426
- Murchie, P, Masthoff, J, Walter, FM, Rahman, K, Allan, JL, Burrows, N, Proby, C, Lee, AJ, Johnston, M, Durrani, A, Depasquale, I, Brant, B, Neilson, A, Meredith, F, Treweek, SP, Hall, SJ & McDonald, AM 2019, 'Achieving Self-Directed Integrated Cancer Aftercare (ASICA) in melanoma: Protocol for a randomised patient-focused pilot trial of delivering the ASICA intervention as a means to earlier detection of recurrent and second primary melanoma' Trials, vol. 20, 318. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-019-3453-x
- Murchie, P, Adam, R, Wood, R & Fielding, S 2019, 'Can we understand and improve poorer cancer survival in rural-dwellers?' BJGP Open. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgpopen19X101646
- Notman, F, Porteous, T, Murchie, P & Bond, CM 2019, 'Do pharmacists contribute to patients’ management of symptoms suggestive of cancer: a qualitative study' International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 131-139. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ijpp.12489
- Emery, J, Murray, SR, Walter, FM, Martin, A, Goodall, S, Mazza, D, Habgood, E, Kutzer, Y, Barnes, DJ & Murchie, P 2019, 'The Chest Australia Trial: a randomised controlled trial of an intervention to increase consultation rates in smokers at risk of lung cancer' Thorax, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 362-370. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/thoraxjnl-2018-212506
- Williams, P, Murchie, P & Bond, C 2019, 'Patient and primary care delays in the diagnostic pathway of gynaecological cancers: a systematic review of influencing factors' British Journal of General Practice, vol. 69, no. 679, pp. 106-111. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp19X700781
- Chua, GN, Ryan, M, Bond, C, Porteous, T, Adam, R, Murchie, P & Krucien, N 2019, 'Promoting shared decision making in patient-pharmacist interactions: a systematic review of decision aid tools and discrete choice experiments in chronic pain management' International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, vol. 27, no. S1, pp. 20-21. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ijpp.12509
- Murchie, P, Turner, M, Adam, R, Carierre, R, Wood, R & Fielding, S 2019, 'The future of primary care rural cancer research: a commentary on Murage et al' Family Practice. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmy132
- McCutchan, GM, Hiscock, J, Hood, K, Murchie, P, Neal, RD, Newton, G, Thomas, S, Thomas, A-M & Brain, K 2019, 'Engaging high-risk groups in early lung cancer diagnosis: a qualitative study of symptom presentation and intervention preferences amongst the UK’s most deprived communities' BMJ Open, vol. 9, no. 5, e025902. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-025902
- Williams, P, Murchie, P, Cruickshank, ME, Bond, CM & Burton, CD 2018, 'The use, quality and effectiveness of pelvic examination in primary care for the detection of gynaecological cancer: a systematic review' Family Practice. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmy092