Personal Chair (Clinical)
Peter Murchie trained in medicine at the University of Aberdeen, graduating in 1994. He completed vocational training in general practice in Northeast Scotland before embarking upon a career in academic general practice through a Cancer Research UK Primary Care Oncology Fellowship. He is currently Professor of Primary Care and lead of the Academic Primary Care Research Group, within the Institute of Applied Health Sciences University of Aberdeen. He leads a research programme which uses clinical data to pursue two main aims: first to better understand the cancer diagnostic pathway within primary care, and second, to improve community-based cancer survivorship care. He maintains a foothold in daytime and out-of-hours general practice in Northeast Scotland.
My research focuses on managing cancer within primary care.
1. How is cancer diagnosed, what factors are influential, and how can the cancer diagnostic process in primary care be optimised.
2. How can primary care best support people living in the community after they have completed their primary cancer treatment.
Co-ordinator of Epidemiology module (PU5538) for Online Postgraduate Certificate in Research Method
Page 1 of 13 Results 1 to 10 of 125
- MacVicar, E, Ritchie, D, Murchie, P, Parnaby, C, MacKay, C & Ramsay, G 2020, 'Analysing the impact of living in a rural setting on the presentation and outcome of colorectal cancer: A prospective single centre observational study', The Surgeon. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surge.2020.02.001
- Adam, R, Bond, CM, Burton, CD, de Bruin, M & Murchie, P 2020, 'Can-Pain - a digital intervention to optimise cancer pain control in the community: development and feasibility testing', Supportive Care in Cancer. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-020-05510-0
- Murchie, P, Adam, R, McNair, E, Swann, R, Witt, J, Wood, R & Weller, D 2020, 'Cancer diagnosis in Scottish primary care: Results from the National Cancer Diagnosis Audit', European Journal of Cancer Care, vol. 29, no. 3, e13234. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.13234
- Burton, C, O'neill, L, Oliver, P & Murchie, P 2020, 'Contribution of primary care organisation and specialist care provider to variation in GP referrals for suspected cancer: ecological analysis of national data', BMJ Quality & Safety, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 296-303. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2019-009469
- Walter, FM, Pannebakker, MM, Barclay, ME, Mills, K, Saunders, CL, Murchie, P, Corrie, P, Hall, P, Burrows, N & Emery, J 2020, 'Effect of a Skin Self-Monitoring Smart Phone Application on Time to Consultation With Physician Among Patients With Possible Melanoma: A Phase II randomized clinical trial', JAMA Network Open, vol. 3, no. 2, e200001. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.0001
- Murchie, P, Adam, R, Khor, WL, Smith, S, McNair, E, Swann, R, Witt, J & Weller, D 2020, 'Impact of geography on Scottish cancer diagnoses in primary care: Results from a national cancer diagnosis audit', Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 66, 101720. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2020.101720
- Murchie, P, Khor, W, Adam, R, Esteva, M, Smyrnakis, E, Petek, D, Thulesius, H, Vedsted, P, McLernon, D & Harris, M 2020, 'Influences of rurality on action to diagnose cancer by primary care practitioners– results from a Europe-wide survey in 20 countries', Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 65, 101698, pp. 101698. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2020.101698
- Hannaford, PC, Thornton, AJ, Murchie, P, Whitaker, KL, Adam, R & Elliott, AM 2020, 'Patterns of symptoms possibly indicative of cancer and associated help-seeking behaviour in a large sample of United Kingdom residents: the USEFUL study', PloS ONE, vol. 15, no. 1, e0228033. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0228033
- Dobson, C, Rubin, G, Murchie, P, Macdonald, S & Sharp, L 2020, 'Reconceptualising Rural Cancer Inequalities: Time for a New Research Agenda', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 17, no. 4, 1455. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17041455
- Tran, KT, McMenamin, ÚC, Coleman, HG, Cardwell, CR, Murchie, P, Iversen, L, Lee, AJ & Thrift, AP 2020, 'Statin use and risk of liver cancer: Evidence from two population-based studies', International Journal of Cancer, vol. 146, no. 5, pp. 1250-1260. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.32426