- Health services research in reproductive health
- Epidemiology of reproductive health
- Systematic reviews
- Randomised trials
My main research interests include epidemiology of infertility and reproductive loss, evaluation of clinical and cost effectiveness of interventions and delivery of care in reproductive medicine. In addition to infertility and assisted reproduction, my clinical areas of interest include early pregnancy loss, caesarean section heavy menstrual bleeding, pelvic pain and endometriosis.
To date my research has involved a programme of interlinked projects funded by Wellcome Trust, the Chief Scientist Office Scotland, Medical Research Council and National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) UK. My projects have included studies on the prevalence and reproductive outcomes in women with infertility and early pregnancy loss, systematic (Cochrane) reviews, individual patient data meta-analysis, multi-centre randomised controlled trials and studies on the cost effectiveness of interventions in infertility and heavy menstrual bleeding.
I collaborate extensively with trialists, epidemiologists and health services researchers nationally as well as internatonally. I lead INREM -(International Reproductive Medicine Research Network), a global consortium for collaborative research and have extensive national (Edinburgh, Birmingham, Oxford, Leeds, Southampton, UCL) and international(China, Hong Kong, USA, India, Vietnam, Australia, The Netherlands, Greece, Italy, Denmark, Chile) collaborations.
- I have supervised 10 post graduate research students to completion and currently co-supervise 2 PhD students.
Research Funding and Grants
- Deep infiltrating endometriosis: management by medical treatment versus early surgery: DIAMOND Cooper KG, Clark JT, Horne A, Byrne, Smith P, Amer S, Gamaleldin I, Vashist A, Maclennan G, Gillies K, Scotland G, , Bhattacharya S.
- Hormone therapy for premature ovarian insufficiency: randomised trial and long-term evaluation (POISE) Davies M, Daniels J, Bhattacharya S, Panay N, Anderson R, Metwally M, Rymer J, Lumsden M, Cartwright B, Briggs P, Nash Z, Ogollah R, Maheshwari A, Brittain C, Amer S, Smyth A.NIHR HTA 2012-34 £2,263,669
- Recurrence of Endometriosis: a randomised controlled trial of clinical and cost-effectiveness of Gonadotrophin Releasing Hormone Analogues with add-back hormone replacement therapy versus repeat Laparoscopic surgery (REGAL) Saraswat L, Bhattacharya S, Cooper K, MacLennan G, Horne A, Gillies K, McCormack K, Scotland G, Becker C, Saridogan E, Clark TJ, Jones G, Cox E, Vyas S. NIHR HTA 2019-23 £1,711,863
- Letrozole or Clomifene, with or without metformin, for ovulation induction in women with polycysticovary syndrome: a 2x2 factorial design randomised trial (The LOCI trial) Coomarasamy A, Sunkara S, Gallos I, Devall A, Middleton L, Roberts T, Arlt W, Thangaratinam S, Nelson S, Anderson R, Mathur R, Drakely, Cheong Y, Choudhary M, Balen A, Homburg R, Maheshwari A, Jayaprakasan K, Amer S, Raine Fenning N, Pundir J, Metwally M, Potdar N, Tan B, Webber L, Franks S, Bhattacharya S, Feeney A, Stewart J. NIHR HTA (2019-22). £2,136,177 (2019 -22)
- Effects and Safety of Testosterone in Men with Low Testosterone levels: an evidence synthesis andeconomic evaluation. The TESTES (Testosterone Effects and Safety) Consortium. Jayasena C, Bhattacharya S, Gillies K, Hernandez R, Aucott L, Quinton R, Wu F, Oliver N, Dhillo W. NIHR HTA (2018-20) £508,668
- Surgery for women with endometrioma prior to IVF- Assessing the feasibility of a multicentre randomised trial in UK (SEND) Maheshwari A, Bhattacharya S, Cooper K, Saraswat L, Horner, Gillies K, Breeman S, Burns GNHS Grampian R & D Pump priming Grant (2018-19) £24,995
- Perinatal outcomes of singletons born following in-vitro fertilisation: a comparison of different embryo transfer strategies using UK data. Mclernon D, Bhattacharya S, Maheshwari A, Raja EA. NHS Grampian Endowments. (2018-19) £10,071
- A population-based matching study to estimate the benefit of in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) for infertility McLernon D, van Geloven N, van Eekelen R & Bhattacharya S Tenovus Scotland (2017-18) £11,438
- Environmental determinants of IVF treatment Clemens T, Docherty R, Dibben C, Stock S, Bhattacharya S. NERC/ MRC/ CSO (2016-17 - 18) £51,390
- Is a combination of methotrexate and gefitinib more effective than methotrexate alone as a treatment for ectopic pregnancy? – a randomised placebo controlled trial (GEM3)AW Horne, S Tong, WC Duncan, J Daniels, A Coomaraswamy, L Middleton, A Peace-Gadsby, T Bourne, D Jurkovic, S Bhattacharya, C Bottomley. National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Efficacy and mechanism programme (EME) (2016-19) £999,811
- Elective freezing of embryos in assisted conception (E-FREEZE) - Clinical and cost effectiveness of electively freezing all embryos followed by frozen embryo transfer compared to fresh embryo transfer in the same treatment, in women undergoing an in-vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment – a randomised controlled trial. Maheshwari A, Bhattacharya S, Macklon N, Coomarasamy A, Khalaf Y, Lavery S, Fenning N, Juzzak E, Kurinczuk J. National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Health Technology Assessment (HTA) programme. (2015-19) £1,400,000.
- A multi-centre randomised controlled trial of the efficacy and mechanism of action of gabapentin for the management of chronic pelvic pain in women. Horne A, Daniels J, Vincent K, Cheong Y, Middleton L, Collett B, Bhattacharya S, Tracey I, Williams A, (2015-18) £1,425,969.
- Ulipristal acetate versus conventional management of heavy menstrual bleeding (HMB: including uterine fibroids): a randomised controlled trial and exploration of mechanism of action (UCON trial). Critchley H, Bhattacharya S, Clark J, Daniels J, Middleton L et al. National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Efficacy and mechanism programme (EME) (2014-18)£1,584,094
- A multicentre randomised controlled trial comparing laparoscopic supra-cervical hysterectomy with second generation endometrial ablation for the treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding (HEALTH). Bhattacharya S (Co CI), Cooper K (Co CI), Clark J, Hawe J, Phillips K, Hawthorne R, Norrie J, Cook J, Scotland G, McCormack K. National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Health Technology Assessment (HTA) programme (2014-18) £1,307,643
- Improving Intrapartum outcomes for mothers and babies in Scotland: A stepped wedge RCT of an intrapartum emergencies training package in 12 Scottish Maternity Units (THISTLE). Bhattacharya S, Draycott T, Fox R, Siassakos D, Lenguerrand E, Lynch P, Crofts J, Winter C, Norrie J, MacLennan G, McCormack K, McDonald A, McPherson G, Cameron A. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2013-16) £200,045
- Preventing recurrence of endometriosis by means of long acting progestogen therapy; (PreEmPT). Bhattacharya S, Daniels J, Gupta J, Clark J, Cooper K, Horne A, Critchley H, Sarotigan E, Prentice A, Becker C, Jones G, Denny E., Whittal C. National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Health Technology Assessment (HTA) programme (2013-18) £1,961,118.
- Selection of sperm for assisted reproductive treatment by prior hyaluronic acid binding: increasing live birth outcomes and reducing miscarriage rates (Hyaluronic Assisted Binding Sperm Selection; HABSelect). Miller D, Pavitt S, Coomarasamy A, Pacey AA, Bhattacharya S, Brison D, Lewis S, Hooper R, Edwards L, West R, Khalaf Y, Sebatani L. NIHR efficacy and mechanism evaluation (EME) programme (2012-16) £1,427,328
- Development and validation of prognostic models for subfertility. CSOPost doctoral Fellowship. Awarded to Dr David. McLernon. Supervisors: Lee A, Bhattacharya S. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2013-16) £ 172,515
- Long term health of women diagnosed with endometriosis: a Scottish record linkage study. Bhattacharya S, Cooper K, Horne A, Bhattacharya S, Saraswat L. Ayansina D. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2012-14) £117,758
- Mode of delivery after caesarean section: An investigation of offspring risks and factors influencing women's attitudes towards delivery options. Wellcome Trust Research Training Fellowship awarded to Dr Mairead Black. Supervisors: Allan J, Gillies K, McLernon D. Bhattacharya S. Wellcome Trust (2013-15) £220,774
- A Pilot Randomised controlled Trial of the Efficacy and Mechanism of Action of Gabapentin for the Management of Chronic Pelvic Pain in Women. Horne A, Bhattacharya S, Critchley H, Lewis S, Pernet C, Wilson J, Wu O, Porter M, Jack S. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2012-14) £209,284
- Cost-effectiveness of Fertility Diagnosis and Treatment in Women of Different BMI groups. Pandey S, Scotland G, Wordsworth S, Mollison, J, Bhattacharya S. NHS Grampian Endowment (2012-13) £8,000
- The epidemiology of chronic pelvic pain in women MacFarlane GJ, Jones G, Bhattacharya S. Mildred B Clulow Research Grant British Pain Society (2012-14) £49,318
- Developing an instrument to measure chronic pelvic pain and its burden amongst women. MacFarlane GJ, Bhattacharya S, Jones GT NHS Grampian Endowment (2012-13) £6,500
- Involving patients and public in research: The case of reproductive health care. Porter M, Pandey S, Bhattacharya S. NHS Grampian Endowments. (2010-11) £7,456
- Maternal obesity and programming of offspring obesity and cardiometabolic risk. Reynolds R, Drake A, Norman J, Bhattacharya S, Lee A, Bhattacharya S. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2010-11) £38,898
- The clinical and short-term NHS costs of maternal obesity for maternity services in Scotland. Dennison F, Norman J, Lee A, Morris C, Bhattacharya S, Scotland G, Mahmood T. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2010-11) £49,970
- Maternal and perinatal outcomes following induced abortion. Bhattacharya S, Bhattacharya S, Lee A, Templeton A. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2009-10) £49,672
- Reproductive effects of environmental chemicals in females. Fowler PA, Bhattacharya S, Cotinot C, Fischer B, Lea RG, Pocar P, Sinclair K, Rhind SM.European Commission, Framework 7 (2008-11) £2,322,380
- Perceptions of future fertility among people of reproductive age with cancer, and their professional carers. Peddie V, Porter M, Bhattacharya S, McClinton S, Hing D, Culligan D, Barbour R. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2008-9) £77,236
- Reproductive outcomes amongst women with a history of anorexia nervosa. Eagles J, Millar H, Bhattacharya S (Dr), Bhattacharya S (Prof), Lee A. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2008-9) £46,310
- Does maternal smoking disrupt key developmental sex steroid hormones in the fetus. P Fowler, S. Bhattacharya. NHS Grampian Endowments(2008-9) £10,834
- Clinical and Cost-Effectiveness of Elective Single Embryo versus Double Embryo Transfer Policy in Assisted Reproduction Bhattacharya S, Scotland G, Harrild K, Rajkhowa M, Harold A, Lyall H. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2008-9) £45,638
- Inherited predisposition to spontaneous preterm birth. Bhattacharya S, Bhattacharya S, Lee A, Norman J, Campbell D, Ruiz-Mirazo E. March of Dimes (2008-9) $86,893
- Identification of endometriosis biomarkers in urine. Fowler P, Horne A, Duncan C, Miller R, Bhattacharya S, Pickett J, Logan J, Birkett M, Jack S, Cash P. Translational Medicine Research Initiative (2008-10) £489,351
- Recruiting donors for stem cell research – national collaboration of hESC coordinators. Braude P, Mardon H, Bhattacharya S, Rajkhowa M, Brison D, Barratt, Young L, Houghton F, Murdoch A. MRC (2007-8) £288,721
- Investigation of the relationship between obesity, twinning rates and perinatal outcomes. Bell J, Bhattacharya S, Tucker J, Campbell D. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2007-8) £23,650
- Reproductive outcome following ectopic pregnancy. Bhattacharya S (Dr), Bhattacharya S (Prof), Lee A. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2007-8) £47,039
- North of Scotland Stem Cell Initiative (NOSCI). Bhattacharya S, Smith A, Wood M, Haggarty P, Templeton A. Burchell, A, Hume R, Rajkhowa M, Harrold A, Smith AG. Medical Research Council (2007) £43,311
- Effectiveness and cost effectiveness of hysterectomy, microwave endometrial ablation and thermal balloon ablation for the treatment of menorrhagia. Bhattacharya S, Cooper KG, Lee A, Khan KS, Gray R, Roberts T, Barton P, Bryan S. Health Technology Assessment (2007-9) £286,383
- Patient with diabetes donor perceptions of stem cell Research. Peddie V, Porter M, Pearson D, Bhattacharya S. Diabetic U.K. (2007) £10,000.
- Characterization of dysfunctional endometrium of uterine fibroids. Bhattacharya S., Fowler P. Translational Medicine Research Initiative (2006) £246,961
- Epidemiology of infertility in the North East of Scotland. Bhattacharya S, Porter M, Hamilton M, Templeton A, Kurinczuk J, Lee A. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2006) £69,000
- Follicular assembly in the human fetal ovary. Fowler P, Maheshwari A, Bhattacharya S. University of Aberdeen IMFC (2006) £6,000
- Patient and donor perceptions of stem cell research – A qualitative study. Peddie V, Porter M, Bhattacharya S, Counsell C. Parkinson’s Disease Society (2006) £10,000
- Pregnancy in survivors of cancer: an epidemiological study (PISCES). Bhattacharya S, Campbell D, Clark H, Kurinczuk J, Lee A. NHS R&D (2006) £11,109
- Identification of implantation-related proteins. Fowler PA, Bhattacharya S, Hamilton MPR, al-Gubory K.NHS R&D (2005) £18,500
- Circulating biomarkers for endometriosis. Fowler PA, Bhattacharya S, Cash P. University of Aberdeen Commercialisation Fund (2005) £19,095
- ECOSSE: Efficacy and cost effectiveness of selective single embryo transfer. Bhattacharya S, Templeton A, Harrold, A, Lieberman B, Brison D, Gazvani R, Braude P. Bertarelli Foundation. CHF (2004) 240,030
- North of Scotland Stem Cell Initiative (NOSCI). Bhattacharya S, Smith A, Wood M, Haggarty P, Templeton A. Burchell, A, Hume R, Rajkhowa M, Harrold A, Smith AG. Medical Research Council (2004) £248,594
- Effect of steroidal pre-treatment on ovarian parameters during IVF. Fowler P & Bhattacharya S. Organon (2004) £16,848
- Optimisation of an in-vitro model to investigate the human fetal testis. Fowler P and Bhattacharya S. Chief Scientist Office Scotland 2004 £15,571
- Decision making in CS. Bell J, Porter M, Hundley V, Polson K, Danielian P, Bhattacharya S. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2003) £15,000
- Effective treatment of Infertility. Research Leave Award. Bhattacharya S. Wellcome Trust (2002) £775, 757
- Establishing a relationship between endometrial proteins and endometriosis. Fowler P, Bhattacharya S, Cash P. NHS Grampian Endowment Grant (2003) £5,250
- Audit of initial investigation and management of subfertile couples. Bhattacharya S, Morrison C, Hamilton M, Templeton A. Smith B. NHS Grampian Clinical Effectiveness Committee (2003) £3,000
- An audit of management of inappropriate ovarian response in the context of in-vitro fertilisation (IVF). Shanbhag R, McTavish A, Hamilton M, Bhattacharya S. NHS Grampian Clinical Effectiveness Committee (2003) £8,600
- A randomised controlled trial of Clomiphene citrate versus intra-uterine insemination for the treatment of unexplained infertility. Bhattacharya S, Lyall H, Harrold A, Tay C, MacQueen D, Mills J, Mollison J, Wordsworth S, Templeton A. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2001) £192,000
- Reproductive Outcome following Caesarean Section. Bhattacharya S, van Teijlingen E, Campbell D, Hall M, Templeton A. Chief Scientist Office Scotland (2001) £83,952
- Maternal nutritional status at conception, maternal genotype and fetal growth. Haggarty P, Bhattacharya S, Duthie S, McNeill G. Nutricia Research Foundation (2001) £25,668
- Maternal Folate Status, Folate Polymorphisms and Fertility. Haggarty P, Bhattacharya S, Haites N, Templeton A, Duthie S, McNeill G. Chief Scientist Office (2000) £120,000
- Decision making in hysterectomy for heavy menstrual bleeding: how satisfied are women (a pilot study). Bhattacharya S, Entwistle V, Skea Z, Templeton A. Chief Scientist Office (2000) £20,576.