Graeme MacLennan is currently Professor of Medical Statistics and the Director of the Centre for Health Care Randomised Trials (CHaRT) which is the Clinical Trials Unit embedded within the Health Services Research Unit. His overarching research interest is in designing fair tests of health care treatments and policies. Specifc interests are in evaluating surgical and complex interventions. Graeme also has a general interest in improving the design, conduct, and analysis and reporting of clinical trials through the development and application of methodological research to clinical trials from CHaRT.
He graduated in Mathematics from the University of Aberdeen in 1997, after a year training as a Mathematics teacher he joined the Unit in September 1998 as a statistician. Since joining the Unit he gained an MSc in Applied Statistics in 2004 from Sheffield Hallam University. In 2008 he was appointed Senior Statistican, and in 2016 was Interim Programme Director for the Health Care Assessment Programme, until his appointment as CTU Director in April 2017.
The application of statistical methods to clinical trials. Recent example is JCE paper available here on using instrumental variables in a surgery trial to address non-compliance. Collaborators were Jonathan Cook (Oxford), Tom Palmer (Lancaster), and Richard Emesley (Manchester).
Research on making trials more efficient, collaborating with Trial Forge.
A complete list of the CHaRT RCT portolio is available by clicking here
- Further Info
MSc Applied Statistics, Sheffield Hallam University
BSc(Hons) Mathematics, University of Aberdeen
Page 1 of 15 Results 1 to 10 of 148
- Morrison, AP, Pyle, M, Gumley, A, Schwannauer, M, Turkington, D, MacLennan, G, Norrie, J, Hudson, J, Bowe, S, French, P, Hutton, P, Byrne, R, Syrett, S, Dudley, R, McLeod, HJ, Griffiths, H, Barnes, TR, Davies, L, Shields, G, Buck, D, Tully, S & Kingdon, D 2019, 'Cognitive-behavioural therapy for clozapine-resistant schizophrenia: the FOCUS RCT', Health Technology Assessment, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1-144. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3310/hta23070
- Lenguerrand, E, Winter, C, Siassakos, D, MacLennan, G, Innes, K, Lynch, P, Cameron, A, Crofts, J, McDonald, A, McCormack, K, Forrest, M, Norrie, J, Bhattacharya, S & Draycott, T 2019, 'Effect of hands-on interprofessional simulation training for local emergencies in Scotland: the THISTLE stepped-wedge design randomised controlled trial', BMJ Quality & Safety. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2018-008625
- Brittenden, J, Cooper, D, Dimitrova, M, Scotland, G, Cotton, SC, Elders, A, MacLennan, G, Ramsay, CR, Norrie, J, Burr, JM, Campbell, B, Bachoo, P, Chetter, I, Gough, M, Earnshaw, J, Lees, T, Scott, J, Baker, SA, Tassie, E, Francis, J & Campbell, MK 2019, 'Five-Year Outcomes of a Randomized Trial of Treatments for Varicose Veins', The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 381, no. 10, pp. 912-922. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1805186
- Cooper, K, Breeman, S, Scott, NW, Scotland, G, Clark, J, Hawe, J, Hawthorn, R, Phillips, K, MacLennan, GS, Wileman, S, McCormack, K, Hernández, RA, Norrie, J, Bhattacharya, S & HEALTH Study Group 2019, 'Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy versus endometrial ablation for women with heavy menstrual bleeding (HEALTH): a parallel-group, open-label, randomised controlled trial', The Lancet, vol. 394, no. 10207, pp. 1425-1436. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)31790-8
- Norman, JE, Norrie, J, Maclennan, G, Cooper, D, Whyte, S, Burley, SC, Smith, JBE, Shennan, A, Robson, SC, Thornton, S, Kilby, MD, Marlow, N, Stock, SJ, Bennett, PR & Denton, J 2019, 'Open randomised trial of the (Arabin) pessary to prevent preterm birth in twin pregnancy with health economics and acceptability: STOPPIT-2-a study protocol', BMJ Open, vol. 8, no. 12, e026430. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026430
- Tandogdu, Z, Lewis, R, Duncan, A, Penegar, S, McDonald, A, Vale, L, Shen, J, Kelly, JD, Pickard, R, N Dow, J, Ramsay, C, Mostafid, H, Mariappan, P, Nabi, G, Creswell, J, Lazarowicz, H, McGrath, J, Taylor, E, Clark, E, Maclennan, G, Norrie, J, Hall, E & Heer, R 2019, 'Photodynamic versus white light-guided treatment of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: A study protocol for a randomised trial of clinical and cost-effectiveness', BMJ Open, vol. 9, no. 9, e22268. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-022268
- Martin, KR, Bachmair, E-M, Aucott, L, Dures, E, Emsley, R, Gray, SR, Hewlett, S, Kumar, V, Lovell, K, Macfarlane, GJ, MacLennan, G, McNamee, P, Norrie, J, Paul, L, Ralston, S, Siebert, S, Wearden, A, White, PD & Basu, N 2019, 'Protocol for a multicentre randomised controlled parallel-group trial to compare the effectiveness of remotely delivered cognitive-behavioural and graded exercise interventions with usual care alone to lessen the impact of fatigue in inflammatory rheumatic diseases (LIFT)', BMJ Open, vol. 9, no. 1, e026793. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026793
- Pyle, M, Broome, MR, Joyce, E, MacLennan, G, Norrie, J, Freeman, D, Fowler, D, Haddad, PM, Shiers, D, Hollis, C, Smith, J, Liew, A, Byrne, RE, French, P, Peters, S, Hudson, J, Davies, L, Emsley, R, Yung, A, Birchwood, M, Longden, E & Morrison, AP 2019, 'Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial of CBT vs antipsychotics vs both in 14-18-year-olds: Managing Adolescent first episode Psychosis: a feasibility study (MAPS)', Trials, vol. 20, 395. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-019-3506-1
- Imamura, M, Hudson, J, Wallace, SA, MacLennan, G, Shimonovich, M, Omar, MI, Javanbakht, M, Moloney, E, Becker, F, Ternent, L, Montgomery, I, Mackie, P, Saraswat, L, Monga, A, Vale, L, Craig, D & Brazzelli, M 2019, 'Surgical interventions for women with stress urinary incontinence: systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials', BMJ, vol. 365, no. 8202, l1842. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l1842
- Brazzelli, M, Javanbakht, M, Imamura, M, Hudson, J, Moloney, E, Becker, F, Wallace, S, Omar, MI, Shimonovich, M, MacLennan, G, Ternent, L, Vale, L, Montgomery, I, Mackie, P, Saraswat, L, Monga, A & Craig, D 2019, 'Surgical treatments for women with stress urinary incontinence: the ESTER systematic review and economic evaluation', Health Technology Assessment, vol. 23, no. 14, pp. 1-306. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.3310/hta23140