Graeme MacLennan is currently Professor of Medical Statistics and the Director of the Centre for Health Care Randomised Trials (CHaRT) which is the Clinical Trials Unit embedded within the Health Services Research Unit. His overarching research interest is in designing fair tests of health care treatments and policies. Specifc interests are in evaluating surgical and complex interventions. Graeme also has a general interest in improving the design, conduct, and analysis and reporting of clinical trials through the development and application of methodological research to clinical trials from CHaRT.
He graduated in Mathematics from the University of Aberdeen in 1997, after a year training as a Mathematics teacher he joined the Unit in September 1998 as a statistician. Since joining the Unit he gained an MSc in Applied Statistics in 2004 from Sheffield Hallam University. In 2008 he was appointed Senior Statistican, and in 2016 was Interim Programme Director for the Health Care Assessment Programme, until his appointment as CTU Director in April 2017.
The application of statistical methods to clinical trials. Recent example is JCE paper available here on using instrumental variables in a surgery trial to address non-compliance. Collaborators were Jonathan Cook (Oxford), Tom Palmer (Lancaster), and Richard Emesley (Manchester).
Research on making trials more efficient, collaborating with Trial Forge.
A complete list of the CHaRT RCT portolio is available by clicking here
- Further Info
MSc Applied Statistics, Sheffield Hallam University
BSc(Hons) Mathematics, University of Aberdeen
Page 1 of 17 Results 1 to 10 of 163
- MAPS group 2020, 'Antipsychotic medication versus psychological intervention versus a combination of both in adolescents with first-episode psychosis (MAPS): a multicentre, three-arm, randomised controlled pilot and feasibility study', The lancet. Psychiatry, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 788-800. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30248-0
- King, AJ, Hudson, J, Fernie, G, Burr, J, Azuara-Blanco, A, Sparrow, JM, Barton, K, Garway-Heath, D, Kernohan, A, MacLennan, G & the TAGS Research Group 2020, 'Baseline Characteristics of Participants in the Treatment of Advanced Glaucoma Study: A Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial', American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 213, pp. 186-194. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajo.2020.01.026
- Gumley, A, Bradstreet, S, Ainsworth, J, Allan, S, Alvarez-Jimenez, M, Beattie, L, Bell, I, Birchwood, M, Briggs, A, Bucci, S, Castagnini, E, Clark, A, Cotton, SM, Engel, L, French, P, Lederman, R, Lewis, S, Machin, M, MacLennan, G, Matrunola, C, McLeod, H, McMeekin, N, Mihalopoulos, C, Morton, E, Norrie, J, Reilly, F, Schwannauer, M, Singh, SP, Smith, L, Sundram, S, Thomson, D, Thompson, A, Whitehill, H, Wilson-Kay, A, Williams, C, Yung, A, Farhall, J & Gleeson, J 2020, 'Early signs monitoring to prevent relapse in psychosis and promote well-being, engagement, and recovery: Protocol for a feasibility cluster randomized controlled trial harnessing mobile phone technology blended with peer support', JMIR Research Protocols, vol. 9, no. 1, e15058, pp. e15058. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.2196/15058
- Javanbakht, M, Moloney, E, Brazzelli, M, Wallace, S, Ternent, L, Omar, MI, Monga, A, Saraswat, L, Mackie, P, Becker, F, Imamura, M, Hudson, J, Shimonovich, M, MacLennan, G, Vale, L & Craig, D 2020, 'Economic evaluation of surgical treatments for women with stress urinary incontinence: a cost-utility and value of information analysis', BMJ Open, vol. 10, no. 6, 035555. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2019-035555
- Lenguerrand, E, Winter, C, Siassakos, D, MacLennan, G, Innes, K, Lynch, P, Cameron, A, Crofts, J, McDonald, A, McCormack, K, Forrest, M, Norrie, J, Bhattacharya, S & Draycott, T 2020, 'Effect of hands-on interprofessional simulation training for local emergencies in Scotland: the THISTLE stepped-wedge design randomised controlled trial', BMJ Quality & Safety, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 122-134. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2018-008625
- Emerson, P, Green, DR, Stott, S, Maclennan, G, Campbell, MK & Jansen, JO 2020, 'Equity of access to critical care services in Scotland: A Bayesian spatial analysis', Journal of the Intensive Care Society. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1751143720914462
- Khadhouri, S, Gallagher, KM, MacKenzie, K, Shah, TT, Gao, C, Moore, S, Zimmermann, E, Edison, E, Jefferies, M, Nambiar, A, MacLennan, G, McGrath, JS, Kasivisvanathan, V & IDENTIFY Protocol Collaborators Group 2020, 'IDENTIFY: The investigation and detection of urological neoplasia in patients referred with suspected urinary tract cancer: A multicentre cohort study', International Journal of Surgery Protocols, vol. 21, pp. 8-12. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isjp.2020.02.002
- PROSPECT study group 2020, 'Mesh inlay, mesh kit or native tissue repair for women having repeat anterior or posterior prolapse surgery: randomised controlled trial (PROSPECT)', BJOG-An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 127, no. 8, pp. 1002-1013. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.16197
- Goulao, B, Carnell, S, Shen, J, MacLennan, G, Norrie, J, Cook, J, McColl, E, Breckons, M, Vale, L, Whybrow, P, Rapley, T, Forbes, R, Currer, S, Forrest, M, Wilkinson, J, Andrich, D, Barclay, S, Mundy, A, N'Dow, J, Payne, S, Watkin, N & Pickard, R 2020, 'Surgical Treatment for Recurrent Bulbar Urethral Stricture: A Randomised Open-label Superiority Trial of Open Urethroplasty Versus Endoscopic Urethrotomy (the OPEN Trial)', European Urology, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 572-580. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2020.06.003
- Javanbakht, M, Moloney, E, Brazzelli, M, Wallace, S, Omar, MI, Monga, A, Saraswat, L, Mackie, P, Imamura, M, Hudson, J, MacLennan, G, Vale, L & Craig, D 2020, 'Surgical treatments for women with stress urinary incontinence: a systematic review of economic evidence', Systematic reviews , vol. 9, 85. [Online] DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13643-020-01352-3