Our Eating Statement of Intent for the Promotion of Healthy Eating
Up to 60% of waking hours are spent in the workplace where at least 33% of the daily calorific intake is consumed. This makes it an ideal environment to positively influence eating habits and as such, the University will provide the opportunity and means to effect healthier eating habits at work.
Our aim is to positively influence the eating habits of our workforce and we will do this by:
- Signposting appropriate, useful and informative links.
- Maintaining the Healthy Living Award accreditation/status, fully embracing its objectives of reducing the use of salt, sugar, oils/fats and highly processed foods. (http://www.healthylivingaward.co.uk/)
- Providing clear calorific information on food & drink where possible/appropriate
- Enabling staff to make informed choices through the development, participation in and availability of;
- Healthy Food taster road shows.
- Annual Calendar of Events detailing participation in national awareness campaigns; eg 5 a day, National Salt Awareness Week, Big Breakfast Week, National Heart Month etc.
- Fresh fruit at all catering outlets.
- Fresh Fruit promotions – eg Fresh Fruit Wednesday free give away.
- Delivered Hospitality offering a healthier alternative to biscuits with tea & coffee.
- At least 50% of all sandwich platters to be brown/wholemeal/grain bread.
- Improved vending offer.
- More informative menus.
Working in association with colleagues and the appropriate outside agencies, the Healthy Eating initiative will also make a positive contribution to:
- Reducing instances of absence through illness.
- Reducing accidents in the workplace.
- Delivering improved levels of staff morale
Monitoring and Evaluation
Every Healthy Eating event and initiative will be subject to careful analysis which will be both quantitative and qualitative. Healthy Eating 'Champions' will lead the analysis for specific aspects and present feedback at designated intervals.
Campus Services offer a wide range of eating and refreshment venues across University campuses, all offering a variety of special promotional deals. For more information on these, recipes of the day and a note on campus food and drink events please visit: www.abdn.ac.uk/foodforthought/