Director, Centre for Global Security & Governance
Fellow, Centre for Civil Society & Rule of Law
Lecturer, Department of Politics and IR
Research Interests & Areas of Supervision
- Democratization (especially UK, EU, and INGO programmes)
- Political Theory (Foucault, Deleuze, Debord, Constructivism)
- Middle Eastern politics (international relations of the Middle East, political & economic liberalisation, civil society, labour movements, democratisation, foreign policies of major powers)
- Politics of Knowledge Production (Social Science, Disciplines & Area Studies, Democracy Promotion)
- Italian Politics (elections, corruption, social movements)
My primary area of research is the politics of democracy in the Middle East – particularly EU democracy-promotion programmes in the 'Mediterranean Neighbourhood' – and in democratization theory.
I'm interested in labour movements and civil society in Egypt, as well as political parties and elections. With Gennaro Gervasio, I examine the authoritarian practices of the Egyptian state, the techniques used to empty the state's democratic facade, and the forms of democratic resistance across the political spectrum.
I also work on how knowledge is produced, translated into policy, and applied. This is the core focus of the Interdisciplinary Approaches to Violence cluster, of which I am co-director. In IR, I've published on the poltics of knowledge production, particularly the normalisation of Constructivism in IR (with Nik Hynek), and on the difficulties and disciplinary effects of 'interdisciplinarity' between IR and Middle East Studies.
- (in press) with Darcy Thompson and Christopher Noble 'EU Democracy Assistance Discourse in the 'New Response To A Changing Neighbourhood'’, Democracy & Security, 9(1);
- (2013) with Andrea Mura 'Convergent (il)liberalism in the Mediterranean? Some notes on Egyptian (post-)authoritarianism and Italian (post-)democracy,' European Urban and Regional Studies, 20(1);
- (2012) 'The EU's Response to the Arab Uprisings,' Mediterranean Politics, 17(3);
- (2012) 'Beyond Lies the Wub: The Challenges of (Post-)Democratization', Middle East Critique, 21(1); [response by Morten Valbjørn here]
- (2011) 'Le Bahreïn entre rocher et pétrole', Outre Terre, 29(3).
- (2011) with Gennaro Gervasio 'Le elezioni parlamentari in Egitto: nozze o aborto della democrazia?', Afriche e Orienti, 10(1).
- (2010) with N. Hynek 'Saving Identity from Postmodernism?'. Contemporary Political Theory, 13(1).
- (2007) 'Bridging the Gap: International Relations, Middle East Studies and the disciplinary politics of the Area Studies Controversy', European Journal of International Relations, 13(1).
- (2006) 'Democrazia, Transitologia ed Orientalismo', Meridione, 14.
- (2004). 'A Role in Search of a Hero: A Constructivist approach to the evolution of Egyptian foreign policy, 1952-67'. Journal of Mediterranean Studies, 14(1-2).
- (forthcoming 2013) “Confessions of a Dangerous Paradigm: Beyond Said and Foucault”, in Ziad Elmarsafy, Anna Barnard and David Attwell (eds.) Debating Orientalism, London: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- (2012) “Democratization and the Middle East in Contemporary Global Order,” in Stephan Stetter (ed.) The Middle East and Globalization, London: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- (2011) "La politica della democratizzazione in Medio oriente ed il feticcio della società civile" in Francesca Corrao (ed.) Le rivoluzioni arabe, Milan: Mondadori.
- (2011) "Société civile et politiques de ‘démocratisation’ au Moyen Orient", in Pierre-Jean Luizard and Anna Bozzo, La Société Civile dans le Monde Musulman. Paris: La Decouverte.
- (2009) "Colonizing Knowledge: Social Science and the Disciplinary (Re)Production of Knowledge," in Begum Firat, Sarah de Mul, and Sonja van Wichelen (eds.) Troubled Engagements: Commitment and Complicity in Cultural Theory and Practice, London: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- with Andrea Mura (2008) "Sunni Islam and politics". Routledge Handbook of Religion and Politics, London: Routledge.
- (2008) "Political Islam", in Mark Imber and Trevor Salmon (eds.) Issues in International Relations, 2nd Edition, London: Routledge, pp. 218-234.
- with Claire Heristchi (2006) "Rethinking the Myths of Islamic Politics", in Jeff Haynes (ed.) Religion and Politics: A Survey, London: Europa-Routledge.
Other Specialist Publications
Reports and Commissioned Research
- (2012) with Gennaro Gervasio "Egypt's Presidential Elections," IE Mediterranean Observatory, n. 94, July 2012
- (2012) "Egypt's Uprising One Year On," ECIA Briefing, 10/2
- (2011) with Gennaro Gervasio “Egypt’s Second January Uprising: Causes and Consequences of a would-be Revolution”, Mediterranean Yearbook 2011
- (2011) "Political Parties and Movements in Post-Revolutionary Egypt", ISPI Working Papers, n. 42, October 2011
- (2011) “Saudi Arabia and the Challenge of GCC Expansion”, ECIA Briefing, 14/05
- (2011) “Bahrain: Roots and Implications of the uprising”, ECIA Policy Paper, April
- (2011) “Egypt’s Constitutional Referendum”, ECIA Briefing, 20/03
Other Specialist Publications
- (2012) Book review: "Maurizio Viroli's 'The Liberty of Servants: Berlusconi’s Italy'," Journal of Modern Italian Studies, 17(5): 668-670.
- (2012) “NATO’s Middle East policy reform: learning from EU failures,” OpenSecurity, 21/05
- (2012) with Gennaro Gervasio "After Mubarak, Before Transition: The Challenges for Egypt’s Democratic Opposition," Interface, 4(1): 102-112.
- (2012) "Italy's Elections, Austerity, and the European Social Model," OpenDemocracy, 10/05
- (2012) "Europe's and NATO's responses to the Arab Uprisings," OpenSecurity, 08/05
- (2011) with Gennaro Gervasio “The politics of Egypt's elections", openDemocracy (2011) Review: "The Politics of Democracy in the Middle East", Mediterranean Politics, 16(3); 459-462; DOI: 10.1080/13629395.2011.613686
- (2011) "While Rome Was Burning: Berlusconi and the Politics of Patronage", OpenDemocracy, November 14th
- (2011) with Gennaro Gervasio "Cercando un altro Egitto: tra democrazia e contro-rivoluzione", Afriche e Orienti, 11(1): 131-138
- (2011) with Gennaro Gervasio 'The Unbearable Lightness of Authoritarianism: Lessons from the Arab Uprisings', Mediterranean Politics, 16(2): 321-327.
- (2011) "The Trial Will Not Be Televised: Mubarak and the Struggle for Power in the ‘New Egypt’", e-IR
- (2011) 'The Politics of Fearlessness', openDemocracy.
- (2011) with Gennaro Gervasio 'Egypt's Post-democratic Elections: Political Meaning Beyond the Menu of Manipulation,” openDemocracy
- (2010) as translator: Paola Caridi, Hamas: Genesis and Objectives of the Islamist Movement, Ramallah: PASSIA and New York: Seven Stories Press.
- (2009) 'Non si può parlare per sempre: Una nuova politica estera sotto Obama?'. Nuvole, 39
- (2008) 'Change we can believe in? Obama e la questione palestinese', Lettera 22
- (2008) 'Open season on Egypt’s opposition, but Islam is not the solution', Tabsir
Comments and Media
Andrea has appeared on Al-Jazeera, Canda's CBC, the BBC, France24, Deutsche Welle, Australia's SBS, KPFK Pacifica, and other international outlets. He also works regularly with regional and national media including BBC Scotland, ITV Scotland, BBC Wales, The Scotsman and various local radios and press.
The following is a selection of recent appearances:
- (2013) interview: Al-Youm Al-Sabe'a, "Analysts Expect Expansion of Opposition Camp," [in Arabic], 1/2
- (2013) interview: Deutsche Welle, “Egypt needs sustainable politics,” translated into German “Ägypten braucht nachhaltige Politik,” 5/01
- (2012) France24 Debates, "Swansong for Berlusconi or for Italy?", 11/12
- (2012) Al-Jazeera Inside Story, "Europe's Technocrats," 10/12
- (2012) France24, "Berlusconi's First Sentence for Fraud," 26/10
- (2012) Il Manifesto, Italy, with Gennaro Gervasio, "Il Terzo Blocco," 19/06
- (2012) Affari italiani, "Egitto: la democrazia è lontana," 22/06
- (2012) Deutsche Welle, "Egyptians are voting blind," 14/06
- (2012) Deutsche Welle, "Ägypten: Restauration oder Revolution?" and "Mubaraks mögliche Erben," 16/06
- (2012) France24, "Quel future pour le primtemps arabe?", 06/04
- (2012) Affari Italiani, "La primavera araba un anno dopo: le rivolte non sono finite," 30/03
- (2012) Exploring Geopolitics, 2011 Geopolitical Review: "Egyptian Uprising, Regime Change and the Muslim Brotherhood"
- (2012) Deutsche Welle, "Egypt one year after the uprising". Interview available in English and in German, 10/2.
- (2012) Berfrois, "Egypt One Year On: Still Talking About a Revolution"
- (2011) guest on CBC's The Sunday Edition, "Is Europe Over?" December 11th
- (2011) Al-Jazeera English: "Inside Story: Is Egypt's constitution being hijacked?", 17/11
- (2011) France24, "Italy's New Government", 16/11
- (2011) Al-Jazeera English: "Inside Story: Berlusconi's Struggle for Survival", 14/10
- (2011) 'Pane, libertà e dignità'. Lo Straniero, vol. 131, pp. 31-35
- Letters in The Guardian, (23/5, Palestine/Israel) and The Economist, (14/5, Italy)
- (2011) participant in Al-Jazeera English, “Inside Story: The End of Berlusconi?” 31/05
- (2011) Op-Ed "Finding stability after conflict will be tough", The Scotsman, 25 May
- (2011) interview: KPFK Pacifica Radio Intifada, "Egypt's Revolution", 12/02
- (2011) participant in Al-Jazeera English, “Inside Story: Shaping Egypt's future,” 3/02
- (2009) Interview: “The Darker Turn of Italian Politics,” Mediocracy
- (2009) Interview: “Democrazia, Transitologia ed Orientalismo,” Arabismo, 13/5
Hanifi Baris (CISRUL), Anna Grudzinska (CISRUL), Sarah Hynek (RGG), Stuart Maltman (IDAV), Chris Noble, Darcy Thompson (IDAV), Kandida Purnell (IDAV), Alessandro Rippa, Ulisses Terto-Pereira (CISRUL), Manal El-Shihry.
Former PhD Students: Abderrazek Ben Rejeb (2013), Samantha May (AHRC-funded, 2011)
- 2009-10 Carnegie Trust: "Paradoxes of Western Democracy-promotion in the Middle East: Conceptions of Democracy in Donors and Recipients"
- 2008-09 Agence Nationale pour la Recherche, Role: UK Co-Investigator: “L’essor de la «société civile» dans le monde musulman”; PIs: A. Bozzo (Rome III), P-J. Luizard (CNRS)
- 2009-13 University of Aberdeen, College of Arts & Social Science (RPAS), Co-Director Interdisciplinary Approaches to Violence programme