GASTROCAN researchers at the University of Aberdeen to benefit from the efforts of dedicated participants at Run Balmoral
On Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th April 60 hardy and dedicated fundraisers took part in the annual Run Balmoral event on Royal Deeside to raise money for GASTROCAN, the University of Aberdeen fund which supports research to improve treatment for oesophageal and gastric cancer.
The participants, who ranged from volunteer fundraisers to corporate groups to members of University staff braved freezing temperatures and hail storms to run between 5K and 15 miles to help raise funds for research into these particularly devastating forms of cancer.
Professor Russell Petty, consultant medical oncologist at NHS Grampian and clinical senior lecturer at the University of Aberdeen, said “I am so grateful to every single one of the Run Balmoral participants for their fundraising efforts to raise money for GASTROCAN. All the funds raised will provide vital assistance for our research programme of clinical trials and laboratory research to develop better treatments for gastro-oesophageal cancer. Through this research, we are helping patients in the north east gain access to the best possible personalised treatments as well as aiming to develop more effective treatments for the future.”
The money raised is still being collected by each of the generous participants and the total raised will be announced shortly.
Fundraising income for GASTROCAN is channelled through the University of Aberdeen Development Trust which is an independent registered charity. The Trust raises essential funds to support much of the University’s activities such as vital medical research as well as supporting students through the provision of scholarships, bursaries and facilities. Funding from alumni, individuals, companies, organisations and the community is essential for the development of the medical research undertaken by GASTROCAN and many other activities.
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items for January 2017
- Apr There are no items for April 2017
- May There are no items for May 2017
- Jul There are no items for July 2017
- Sep There are no items for September 2017
- Oct There are no items for October 2017
- Nov There are no items for November 2017
- Dec There are no items for December 2017
- Jan There are no items for January 2010
- Feb There are no items for February 2010
- Mar There are no items for March 2010
- Apr There are no items for April 2010
- Jul There are no items for July 2010
- Aug There are no items for August 2010
- Oct There are no items for October 2010
- Dec There are no items for December 2010