Aberdeen's new Olympic-standard Aquatics Centre on track to open in 2014 thanks to generous support
Aberdeen's £22million Olympic-standard Aquatics Centre is due to open in 2014 in time for the Commonwealth Games coming to Scotland and major funders are being recognised for their part in this world-class developent as a significant milestone is reached with the pool area being made water-tight.
Funding from Aberdeen City Council, sportscotland and the University of Aberdeen enabled the project at Aberdeen Sports Village to get underway while significant support from private businesses such as Saltire Energy, FirstGroup and others has ensured that the facility will be one of the most technically advanced in the UK. This will allow everybody in the community to benefit from outstanding water-based activites no matter what their age, experience or ability while enabling elite athletes the opportunity to benefit from the very best training facilities.
The Centre, which includes a 10-lane, 50m pool and full international diving facilities, has also received endorsement from the North East's two most successful swimming talents in recent years. Olympians and Commonwealth gold medallists Hannah Miley and David Carry have both visited the site and agree that the Centre will be a major asset to the area, providing the best facilities. David Carry said "The Aquatics Centre is going to be a real beacon for sport in the North East which will be accessible to all. I have been taking a very keen interest in this development since the early stages both as a competitive swimmer and a proud Aberdonian and I have to say that I am hugely impressed with the facility and the flexibility it will provide. It will not only cater for world-class elite athletes and students who have dreams of competing at the highest level but it will also provide many opportunities for absolutely anybody in the North East of Scotland, whatever their experience, age and ability."
There are still a number of opportunites for the North East business community to get involved and support this stunning facility. The University of Aberdeen Development Trust is currently looking to develop partnerships with businesses who want to help fund facilities at the Centre and become associated with one of the most significant sporting venues ever to be developed in Aberdeen.
Anybody interesting in finding out more should contact Director of Development Liz Bowie at email@example.com or on +44 (0) 1224 274198.
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items for January 2017
- Apr There are no items for April 2017
- May There are no items for May 2017
- Jul There are no items for July 2017
- Sep There are no items for September 2017
- Oct There are no items for October 2017
- Nov There are no items for November 2017
- Dec There are no items for December 2017
- Jan There are no items for January 2010
- Feb There are no items for February 2010
- Mar There are no items for March 2010
- Apr There are no items for April 2010
- Jul There are no items for July 2010
- Aug There are no items for August 2010
- Oct There are no items for October 2010
- Dec There are no items for December 2010