Breast cancer researchers at the University of Aberdeen are to benefit from a £1,112.42 donation raised at two events organised by the Aberdeen Northern Soul Club.
Event organiser Stevie Willox, a local Northern Soul DJ, agreed to support the fundraising efforts of local woman Fiona Smith who has raised over £18,000 to date for the University of Aberdeen Breast Cancer Research Fund.
Fiona, who is terminally ill but has benefitted from research into this indiscriminate disease, has raised this amazing sum through a variety of different events and fundraising activities that she and her friends have organised since her diagnosis in 2007.
The money from the most recent Northern Soul events was raised through tickets sales and, during the second event, a collection tin which was filled to the brim in no time at all with £85 inside. A friend of Fiona's, Donna Sinclair who helped to organise the events, was surprised at how much could be raised so easily from a single collection tin stating "I didn't really expect the collection tin to be full after just one event! The Club has regular Soul nights and we've decided to support the charity by always having a collecting tin at these events."
The money will be used by Professor Steve Heys, Chair in Applied Medicine with the University, and his team to undertake breast cancer chemotherapy trials and other research.
Fundraising income for breast cancer research is channelled through the University of Aberdeen Development Trust which is an independent registered charity. The Trust raises essential funds to support much of the University’s activities such as vital medical research as well as supporting students through the provision of scholarships, bursaries and facilities. Funding from alumni, individuals, companies, organisations and the community is essential for the development of breast cancer research and many other activities.
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items for January 2017
- Apr There are no items for April 2017
- May There are no items for May 2017
- Jul There are no items for July 2017
- Sep There are no items for September 2017
- Oct There are no items for October 2017
- Nov There are no items for November 2017
- Dec There are no items for December 2017
- Jan There are no items for January 2010
- Feb There are no items for February 2010
- Mar There are no items for March 2010
- Apr There are no items for April 2010
- Jul There are no items for July 2010
- Aug There are no items for August 2010
- Oct There are no items for October 2010
- Dec There are no items for December 2010