A lecture given by Hector Sants in memory of his grandfather William Watt Hepburn has launched an annual series of events.
The inaugural Watt Hepburn Lecture was given by Hector Sants on Thursday 3rd May in memory of his grandfather, William Watt Hepburn. The lecture, which focussed on the interaction between regulation of corporate governance and entrepreneurship, launched an annual series of events which has been created by a generous donation from Mr Sants’ mother Ann Sants, in memory of her father.
William Watt Hepburn was an Aberdeen businessman described as a "business genius". He was one of the most successful entrepreneurs of his generation with a wide and varied range of business interests including Richards textile mill, Kilgour & Walker the woollen mill, Northern Agricultural & Lime Co and A Hall & Co of which he was Managing Director. He also owned a chain of restaurants in Glasgow. Watt Hepburn died in 1953 and the lecture series will serve as a lasting memory of his business acumen.
The fully subscribed lecture, which was hosted by the University’s Principal, Professor Ian Diamond, was attended by local business leaders, business postgraduates and undergraduates and members of the public. It was followed by a lively question and answer session during which Mr Sants gave further insight from his experience in the banking and financial services industry.
Ann Sants graduated from the University of Aberdeen in 1943 with an MA and her son Hector Sants, an Oxford graduate, has had a distinguished career in banking, most recently as the CEO of the Financial Services Authority. The family wished to give something back to the University of Aberdeen by supporting the Watt Hepburn Lectures.
Browse by Month
- Jan There are no items for January 2017
- Apr There are no items for April 2017
- May There are no items for May 2017
- Jul There are no items for July 2017
- Sep There are no items for September 2017
- Oct There are no items for October 2017
- Nov There are no items for November 2017
- Dec There are no items for December 2017
- Jan There are no items for January 2010
- Feb There are no items for February 2010
- Mar There are no items for March 2010
- Apr There are no items for April 2010
- Jul There are no items for July 2010
- Aug There are no items for August 2010
- Oct There are no items for October 2010
- Dec There are no items for December 2010